Posts by Backdrifter

On that 1980 tour there was also a right old brouhaha, some say furore, when it was discovered that an entire gig - Birmingham? Liverpool? - had somehow been given completely over to fan club members. I'm not sure if that's true or if so how it would've happened but there was definitely a big old froth about it.

But yeah as I understand it, the 80 tour satisfied a hankering they had to return to the smaller venues of their earlier career, including a nostalgic Aylesbury Friars Club gig for which the ticket queue went twice around the entire globe. Or something.

The set list was approximately the same the whole tour with a few tweaks and seemed to make sense for that time. The most notable aspect of it was all the new stuff being done in one single block.

David Gilmour estimated that Waters laughed about "once a year" when he was in The Floyd. It's probably less than that now!

😂

He does have a Grumpy Old Man Of Rock image to maintain.

Mind you I did like a quote from him when an interviewer was getting too analytical: "Look, you're not going to get me to take any of this seriously. We were just 4 blokes who wanted to make music, and hopefully make some money and get shagged."

I was always neutral about the ICD walk. It was a well-liked video and it made sense for them to do it on stage. But I do kind of agree that good a song though it is, it creaked a bit being so elongated.

I did chuckle when at the end Collins pointed at Stuermer and Rutherford, saying in turn "He can't dance! He can't dance!" then pointed at Banks, saying "He can dance!"

Cage was always good live and when on the WCD tour Collins announced the next track was some old bits I expected another Cage medley. So I was pleasantly surprised when they launched into Volcano and the subsequent snippets. I was especially happy to hear the Musical Box segment.

I remember Banks saying they wanted an upbeat set opener and had been considering Behind The Lines before going with LoC.

I don't know why Tony and Mike apparently went against Phil's suggestion to do Supper's Ready instead of the old medley.

I recall an interview in which one of them, Banks I'm sure, said it was "such a slog" to do the whole song.

Why it's less of a slog to do a similar length medley I'm not sure.

Not directly related but I saw them in Rotterdam around '83, I think it was the Invisible Touch tour. Near the end they were playing a medley of non-Genesis songs, when Phil suddenly stopped the whole show. He said "there are some f.... idiots fighting here", indicating near the front of the crowd, and with that they just walked off and that was it. He doesn't suffer fools gladly!

That would've been 1987.

I hope this tour will take place and that i could see Genesis on stage in real ! I am delighted to see which titles will be sung. Maybe it will be like in 2007 a retrospective of their entire career. It would be nice if they replayed other titles from the Phil period that we haven't heard in a long time (Deep in the Motherlode, Keep it Dark, Illegal Alien, Afterglow, Dance On A Volcano, Misunderstanding). And It would be fun if they perform a few songs from Calling All Stations (Shipwrecked, Congo, Alien Afternoon). With Phil vocals, some of 1997 songs would easily become masterpieces !

I'm sure we all have a fantasy set list but they became pretty conservative about sets. It remains to be seen whether vocal and drumming issues lead to a different kind of set. Even so I think the first three on your list are beyond unlikely. I'd love to see them do KID but IA would be most unwelcome!

I'd be fine with RW guesting on one or two CAS but it's extremely unlikely and even less that Collins would do any.

I'm not keen on it in all honesty. Using strictly the tracks you listed I'd go Neurotic, Confusion, Tonight, Anything, Domino, Fire, IT, Brazilian. But apart from your running order my main issue is the omission of TIAA, one of their best later songs. That trumps ASD in a heartbeat for me. But hey it's your playlist.

There's a couple of rearranged ITs in the Rearranged Albums thread.

Available on the BBC iplayer for those who can access it, the documentary Rock & Roll Island, about Eel Pie Island on the Thames, a popular music venue in the 60s and 70s. Steve Hackett is among the interviewees and it features a snippet of Stagnation. Lord knows when that was last ever heard on TV.