Posts by Backdrifter

They have always seemed to shy away and apologize for what they are. They play it safe every time, and the opportunities for doing otherwise are dwindling rapidly.

Nothing wrong with fans expressing wish lists. Some interesting stuff in yours. But I'm surprised at the above comments. I think they have routinely done the opposite of shying away, apologising for what they are (when have they ever done that?), and playing it safe. Look at it from the band's perspective: more than any long-running band I can think of, they fully embraced who and what they are by focusing on their new work.

Sure, that approach immediately disappoints a portion of the audience but while I totally would always love to hear 70s stuff I respect their preference to mainly stick with what they've most recently done. That is what any self-respecting musician does. Look at Hackett - of course his Genesis-themed shows delight certain fans and I absolutely get that, but he fairly regularly releases new albums then proceeds to go on the road playing almost nothing from them, focusing instead on stuff he did 40 years ago. To me, that's the very definition of playing it safe, something Genesis didn't tend to do.

Where I think your thoughts intersect with mine is that this different line-up is an opportunity to mix things up a bit more. They don't have new material that we're aware of - yet, anyway - so can choose from their entire back catalogue. While I'd expect there to still be a trio-era focus simply because that represents the bulk of their career, I do share your hope that from across their canon they feel like doing some unexpected ones and I reckon there will be one or two of those at least.

And if they had gone ahead with a documentary on The Lamb, chances are it would have tied-in with a re-release of the album in some sort of deluxe box-set affair, similar to the one that was rumoured to be released a few weeks back but seems to have been forgotten about in the flurry of activity since the annoucement of the new tour. As it stands, we got a partial retrospective on the band's career and the redundant R-Kive three disc set.

They can't get anything right can they!

Yes the documentary turned into neither one thing or another and RKive was a bit nothingy. But hopefully the rumoured super-duper deluxe boxset with its 10-dimensional remaster, pure lambswool cover, nugget of genuine Broadway tarmac, jar of actual sidewalk steam and preserved Headley Grange rat carcass, will indeed be issued despite being forgotten in all the hubbub/brouhaha of the tour.

Yes, that's the one. Clearly I got confused!

Ah, I live in a near-permanent state of confusion these days.

So upset that they decided not to come to Wales, tour everywhere else in Britain but two fingers up to Wales, thanks for nothing, absolutely gutted.

On reflection, having shared your surprise at omitting Wales it's dawned on me there's probably a simple explanation, namely capacity. All the arenas they're playing are between 11000-20000 capacity. The one arena in Wales, Cardiff Arena is about 5000 so probably regarded as too small for this tour. Or perhaps it simply wasn't available within the timeline.

I guess it's all about perspective. When Genesis toured in 2007 the closest show was a six hour drive for me, and I usually travel nine hours for most of the Steve Hackett and Musical Box shows I've been to. My sense of British geography isn't great, but it seems all 15 shows in this entire UK tour could fit into that same 9-hour driving radius

Yes I'm guessing that whatever the reason for bypassing Wales, the idea is that both Liverpool and Birmingham will cater for Welsh fans, although that's not going to be ideal for many of them.

I know this is blatantly obvious but I'll say it anyway. If booking an overnight stay do it now if you can. Just spent an hour finding a Glasgow hotel for 11 Dec that wasn't charging a small fortune (the ticket price having already made me wince). Not too far from the venue and in the very agreeable district of Finnieston.

I think this is incorrect, Sum Of The Parts had an ethos. It was originally going to be part of the Classic Albums series, focusing on The Lamb. But after the meetings between the band / production of the documentary in September 2012. It was decided to concentrate on the 5 man era. Ray was not going to be interviewed once that decision was made.

We should know we worked on some of this documentary, had a few discussions with the director, editor, etc

TGA

That's fascinating about the intention to do a Lamb edition of the Classic Albums series. What a shame they didn't stick to that idea. It always riles me that they don't get recognition in these various album polls, outside of prog-focused ones. Not that it ultimately matters of course, but all the same. Similarly I'd sometimes thought, there's no chance of a Lamb edition of Classic Albums but there ought to be. So to now discover it was planned, but instead turned into the unsatisfactory documentary we eventually got (despite your good work on it) is frustrating.

I'm not sure it's as black & white as that. The stuff that had double drumming was double drummed because 2 drummers were available. If they did e.g. Quiet Earth, whereas that was double drummed before, it wouldn't necessarily be therefore off the table. Hackett's done it and managed with one drummer, the same goes for other 70s tracks. As someone said earlier Nic might be wanting to really get his teeth into some of the 70s stuff. If Phil manages to get sufficiently match fit, then as suggested he might be able to do some percussion.

I liked when they had the percussion station in 78 and 80 (was it used before that?).

Agreed - I'm not accusing the band of being greedy, but the promoters will charge as much as we are willing to pay ;)

I totally understand your decision. I've been in that position before with artists I especially like, and reluctantly letting tickets go due to silly prices, and in one case while the ticket price wasn't too bad the service charge was over 30% and on principle I released it.

With this tour, I'm in a fortunate enough position to be able to not feel the pinch but my teeth were still gritted as I clicked the PAY button.

I accessed the Glasgow pre-sale yesterday as a SSE customer and treated myself to a VIP package. Yes, absurd price but not something I've done before or likely to do again.

This morning I went to the O2 site and joined (appropriately enough!) the presale waiting room. At 9, I got entered in the queue, waited about 2 mins and went through to the sales page. Selected a front block seat - all very smooth.

I'm considering Belfast too when it goes up.

You have to see this series from the very beginning or else the Michael Burnham plotline won't make any sense - her relevance is revealed in the first few episodes, and the later episodes are dependent on the earlier ones (obviously).

Hopefully, Freeview will rebroadcast it from the very beginning someday.

But I don't think my problem is with plotlines, it's with the actual people. I find Burnham annoying and bland, I don't like the actor or her performance. Pretty much everyone else feels quite characterless. I'm a Jason Issacs fan but it feels to me this show sucks the life out of him. How am I suddenly going to like Burnham just because I've seen her story from the start when the actor herself irritates me?

Probably my favourite show right now is Elementary and I picked that up in season 3. Even though I subsequently went back when Freeview started it again, I still missed the first few episodes which I know contain key exposition but it doesn't make a difference as I'm (appropriately enough) addicted.

I think that's the difference - with Elementary I had a strong urge to go back to the start when I could, even though I fluffed that when I had the chance. Same with TNG and Voyager. With Discovery I feel no compulsion to go either backwards or forwards! I totally get that you're a fan and want me to see the positives but there's just no spark there for me.

Of those I reckon the most likely would be

Hold On My Heart

Throwing It All Away

That's All

Turn It On Again

Follow You, Follow Me

Afterglow

Ripples

Carpet Crawlers

Cinema Show (but the usual instrumental cut)

Firth of Fifth (probably the instrumental cut but possibly the whole song)

I Know What I Like

Supper's Ready (Lover's Leap)

Just realised, the '28 years' only makes sense if the CAS tour is edited out of history (final UK show March 1998). Poor Ray Wilson!

I agree an interval would help PC, especially if he's pursuing his intention to drum at least a bit, which together with preparation and maintaining fitness will be a challenge. I too thought they'll see how this tour goes then see about a mainland europe itinerary.

Personally I think a whole-album showcase is unlikely, but with the different line-up and PC's fitness it could be a Genesis setlist unlike any we've seen before, so who knows. The thought wandered through my mind that a chunk of The Lamb might feature, eg the whole of side 1 or something.