Posts by Backdrifter

Yes I mostly like the Trek tv shows, TNG being probably my favourite. I didn't like Voyager at first but warmed to it, although it was largely despite Kate Mulgrew's largely poor performance as the captain. Like you OneForTheVine I never clicked with DS9 or Enterprise. I've seen two episodes of Discovery so far and don't feel any urge to continue with it.

I'm interested to see Picard, I liked that character in TNG and the associated films, and I like Patrick Stewart.

I really like the 'reboot' films to date, I think they've been quite affectionate with regard to the original tv show. The 4th in the series is apparently now back on track with the main cast in place, with release in the next 2 years.

We guess that someone would complain, we work hard to bring these exceptionally rare items to the public. We risk the law and any potential relationship with the management company, only for people to moan.

Why should we bother to find, discover and release more?

TGA

If this is directed at me, I wasn't complaining or moaning, just expressing frustration at the apparent dearth of professional films of this medley - that's a broad observation and not aimed at this clip or those who've posted it here. As I said, it's still good to see it - but I didn't specifically thank whoever brought it here so let me say it now: well done and thanks.

It's good but frustrating. I've been dying to see a professional film of either IT tour version of that medley and when we finally get one it's all on stage and we can't see the full show! But still better than nothing.

There is a snippet of the Apocalypse version in the Visible Touch documentary so it was professionally filmed and must exist in its entirety somewhere.

I found a new appreciation for the album version of Afterglow. For years it was almost impossible for me to revert to the original, then it dawned on me that is is a nostalgic, wistful song

I've enjoyed the live renditions, both recorded and in person, but never relinquished my liking for the original. It shows what a good songwriter can come up with when being direct. Banks's description of writing this and Vine sum it up perfectly. One is a big long sprawling affair put together over the course of a year, and leaves me cold, especially its typically overwrought lyric. The other was written on the spot and conveys its message simply and clearly, is enduring and one of my favourite Genesis songs.

I don't find it nostalgic and wistful - I'd likely not care much for it if I did - rather, my interpretation comes directly from Banks's description of what he had in mind, ie it's tragic yet hopeful. The narrator has lost everything but still has hope for the future - what a powerful message.

I mean't it's over YOUR HEAD, in that, you don't understand. Carter's little pills was a product that came out long before you were born. Has nothing to do with Jimmy Carter, Bonham Carter or whatever, GET IT?

Bloody hell calm down. You could've just told us that straight off!

Pigeon never did much for me, whereas Gorilla was Phil bringing a bit of Brand X to Genesis with Tony strechting outside his comfort zone.

It is also interesting how taste evolves with the years; I used to like YOSW, now I wonder what I was thinking, I thought Mouse was pure genius, now I think it is Banks at his most self-indulgent. Vine was perfection and now it feels cobbled together.

Gorilla doesn't strike me as Banks being outside his comfort zone whereas with Pigeons he said he specifically wanted to see if he could write a song with one note. Of course it didn't turn out that way and he couldn't resist bringing in his precious chords but his main line is indeed one note. That, the prominent banjolele and the frankly bizarre obsessive lyric (better than most which made the album) certainly take the song outside their normal constituency far more effectively than WG in my view, but then that is my view.

Not that I'd have had any objection to a more Brand X vibe having been brought in, though I don't really see it in WG apart from the drum track as you say. I think a much better example is Naminanu, which is one that's grown on me over the years. Sadly though that was a b-side.

I get what you mean about reappraisal of songs with time. Back then I happily listened to OFTV but now I simply can't, ditto Earl. The latter's mid-section shorne of its saccharine lyric is a nice piece of music, brought in wholesale by Hackett as I think I read somewhere.

As a player he is as usual brilliant but stifled by the wall of keyboards and again, I like Tony's sound but he really ovedid it here.

Wot Gorilla could have been longer imo

Wall of keyboards - yes, apt description.

Again, it's interesting how tastes differ. You think Gorilla could've been longer whereas I wish it wasn't even there! A throwaway doodle that belongs on a b-side. Far better if Pigeons had taken its place, it would've provided a great change in the overall texture of the album which is very samey. (In the Reorganised Albums thread I did that and got Inside & Out in instead of Mouse).

Anyway, W&W.

I already know I'm well out of kilter with everyone on this as it's an album I don't like very much at all. But I'm very aware it's held in a lot of affection by many fans who regard it, and the 4-man phase, as near-enough definitive Genesis.

It's odd because it was the album that loomed largest when I started properly listening to them and becoming a fan - well, it was certainly the latest album at that time. But I quickly discovered and much preferred their earlier stuff and in particular fell in love with The Lamb, which obviously presents a very different facet of Genesis and remains, right from then, my favourite album of theirs and one of my top 10 albums ever.

I only like two tracks on W&W and ironically, as it's an album I don't much care for, they are two of my favourite Genesis tracks, Blood on the Rooftops and Afterglow. After those, I can on rare occasions listen to Unquiet/In That and quite like the live versions of OFTV from 78/80.

Everything else on the album leaves me cold. I much prefer Pigeons and Inside & Out from the EP. Something about the general sound and the twee lyrical content of Earl and Mouse's are very offputting for me, though there are snatches of music in the latter that are ok - the coda is very pleasant. There's a very tinny, shiny, sugary top-end feel to this album, to my ears anyway.

When I stand back and look at my Genesis preferences I can see that I gradually like their work more as the albums progress and it hits a peak with Lamb. Then there's a dip with the 76-78 sequence being their low point for me, though with Down & Out and Many Too Many showing promise for the trio era. Things look up with Duke and the peak trio for me is Abacab, with plenty of stuff I like from the remaining albums.

So W&W is always going to be low on my personal Genesis chart.

This is intended as the latest in the album threads sequence. The others haven't elicited much attention but I thought I'd have one final go at it with this. I'll leave it then, as we already have a ATTWT thread, then the remaining albums are pretty much covered by the recent "favourite 3 tracks" threads and it'd just be more duplication to try any further full album threads. FYI, here are the other full album threads (not all started by me) - do use them if you want to add to the general discussions of these albums:

FGTR

Trespass

Nursery Cryme

Foxtrot

SEBTP

Lamb

Trick

ATTWT

CAS

CAS again - it's this board's most discussed Genesis album by some way, more so if you count the '3 tracks' thread!

The vast majority of Genesis fans do not take part in any tipe of online discussion,they are at the least registered in this forum....which seems to me to boast 474 menbers...so it remains difficult to understand what the remainng 99,9 % of fans really think.....

I think you're being a bit harsh on the post by Nanunami you originally responded to. It was just saying that fans in general like to think of their idols as being kind of immortal and ready to spring into action with a tour at any moment. I think this applies to fans of any artiste, not just Genesis. We kind of don't like to think of them as growing older and less able to perform.

I think it's to be safely assumed everyone on this or any other fan board know they are a tiny % of all fans globally and everything said here is simply the opinion of this board's members. I don't think anyone is claiming we few represent all Genesis fans!

Very straightforward as there's almost nothing on this album I actually like: Down & Out, Many Too Many, Undertow.

FYFM is good, Motherlode sort of ok (I have some affection for it as the punchy opening number of the first two Genesis gigs I ever saw) and the rest I'm happy to never hear again. I know I've bored on about it elsewhere but Scenes is a strong contender for my most hated Genesis track.