Posts by Backdrifter

Beat in October (King Crimson alumni Adrian Belew, Tony Levin with Steve Vai and Danny Carey)

I'd love to see this but as yet no UK shows. I doubt they'll do any, sadly.

My next gigs aren't until June: Gary Numan in Leeds, Bat For Lashes in Manchester.

OK, a dumb question: As someone who lives in the U.S., I don't think the expression "you've got me inside out" would be used much here. What does it basically mean? I think I heard somewhere that it means something like "you've got me all wrong."

It could be that but in context of the largely angry mood of the song I suggest it refers to emotions being brought to the surface.

In the UK it's also not a common phrase to say "you've got me inside out" in reference to either being misunderstood or mixed up. In this case I reckon it's been used to specifically serve this song's tone.

The BBC is a public broadcaster of both radio and television. Its TV division has a mainstream schedule: like shows, films, series and news. It has 2 generalist channels (BBC1+BBC2) and some thematic ones (BBC News 24, BBC Parliament, CBBC...)

The radio network mentioned is extensive with a number of national stations covering rock pop and classical music, speech, debate and drama, and regional stations across the UK, including gaelic language content where I live in the scottish highlands, and international provision including the World Service and various territories. It also provides dedicated educational content (which notched up 100 years this year) and has its own streaming platform the iplayer.

I also seem to remember an old BBc drama from the 80s with the same name, using this as a theme tune..but that might be a addled student memory!

No, you're right about the drama series. Until now I assumed I was the only one here who remembered it. As I recall, it was about an agency that helped to rehabilitate just-released convicts. I think it featured Gwyneth Strong, who played Cassandra in Only Fools & Horses.

I just looked it up, yes it featured her but the IMDB description says it was two female ex-convicts who set up an employment agency. But I'm still fairly sure they helped other ex-cons. I recall liking the show, but it only lasted one season.

I can vaguely picture the opening sequence: an animation of a figure boxed in between walls, while the song's chorus played then faded.

All the transitions on side 1 of Selling England, possibly the most perfect track sequencing they ever did.

Obviously there are lots of seamless segues and cross-fades on The Lamb but I've always loved the initial one as the rumbling growling title track leads us into the dreamworld via the eerie intro of Fly.

Bumping this up as I recently read about how Russia is currently living a Genesis song. A strain of hogweed (Sonowsky's) is rife, growing up to 5m high and emitting a sap that causes serious burns that are horribly painful and can take months to heal. It's highly invasive, and a single plant can distribute 100,000 seeds. Crank conspiracists are blaming it on the US carrying out "bacteriological warfare" (surely herbicidal?) against Russia. However, it's self-inflicted. The plants were brought in from their natural habitat in Caucasus Mountains after WWII as cheap livestock feed - though why you'd feed acid-filled plants to animals is beyond me - and it's spread since then, but seems to have gone even madder and is tearing its way across the country. The Moscow Times cites a forecast that the hogweed will "engulf almost all of Russia by 2050" if left unchecked.

A rather horse/stable door edict from the government requires landowners to remove the weeds or face large fines. But surely the agitation of removing the weeds is going to further distribute the seeds and they'll be stuck in a vicious bota-NIC-al cycle.

Oh well, never mind.

It’s like Seven Stones on Nursery Cryme, it’s a perfectly decent song but it lacks the ambition of the rest of the record and kind of gets left behind. On its own I quite like it but compared to the rest of the album it’s easily forgotten

For me Stones is more a Can Utility in that it's a good song I like but never achieved the profile of the 'bigger' more well-known tracks on its album. I think there's also partly an element of it being never or very rarely played live.

Time Table is an odd one in that for their 70s period I can't think of an analogous track that's similarly such inconsequential filler and largely superfluous.

A must-skip for me. I don't feel the album needs this on there. They've done worse songs but on an album with some heft it's a superfluous bit of fluff.

I rarely like that reverse-adjective thing eg "goblets gold" and "arbors cool" 😖 I get why it's used but I find it quite twee and a bit cringey.

As for -

uninspired

- I find "a carved oak table tells a tale" a very limp opening line. But I suppose in that sense it starts as it means to go on.

Lovely write up of a concert Brett Anderson of Suede did with an orchestra of disabled musicians, called Paraorchestra. They covered songs about death by Echo and the Bunnymen, David Bowie, Depeche Mode and others. I just received the release in the post but haven't had a chance to listen, and based on this review I'm really, really looking forward to it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/mu…on-and-charles-hazlewood/

I'd heard about this and would like to have attended. Paraorchestra and Charles Hazelwood have done some excellent, interesting work.

Collins: Some of our more idiosyncratic lyrics are my favourites. I love the mention of "breadbin" in All In a Mouse's Night.

Beat me to it. Mne would've been "I always excitedly looked forward to a new set of lyrics from Tony."

PG: "Before I talk about the new album, and the whole extra album already in the can for release in 6 months time, I want to spend a couple of hours going over exactly what I was getting at on The Lamb".

Rutherford: "I'm always told I explain things slowly and very clearly"

Hackett: "Look, just pipe down about Lennon. I want to focus on taking my adventurous new groundbreaking album out on tour"

Wow. I love how nonchalant you are about it.

Thanks. I didn't feel very nonchalant but on the rare occasions I approach a public figure I'm conscious to not be a gushing fan and to be as brief as possible to not bother them too much. But it was a big moment for me. And for him too.

(That last bit was a joke).