Posts by Backdrifter

Earl's Court, June 1977. Spent the night on the pavement outside to get front row tickets when the box office opened. Sat right in front of Steve.

Can you recall what the queue was like? A long one, what time you arrived, good camaraderie, get much or any sleep? Good going by the way, great seat.

I did the overnight-queue-for-tickets for the London Lyceum gig May 1980 - a rare occurrence of them going on sale only about 4 or 5 days before the gig. Any time I walk down Tavistock Road, I always glance at the spot where I 'slept'.

The last time I queued for ticket sales was 2000, for the Radiohead gig that was in Scott Walker's Meltdown Festival. Since then it's been F5 all the way.

Can't find the ticket stub for this one, but it would have been 4th or 5th July 1980 at the Hammersmith Odeon

Same here, one of those, I'm pretty sure the 4th. Do you remember the unfunny comedian support act with a ferret glove puppet? All I can recall is the puppet 'saying' "Shut up or I'll nibble your bollocks off." He then briefly came on during SH's set as well.

Between March and July I saw Genesis twice, plus PG and SH. I would then see PG and Genesis very close together in 87 and 07 as well.

That's All has a country groove? What an interesting comment. I see what you mean, but they wrote it to sound like early Beatles, with Phil saying he wanted to write a Ringo drum part.

On the Mama Tour video, if I remember correctly, PC jokingly (and in a terrible accent) introduces it as a "country & western song".

I went to the W&W anniversary show in London last year and was underwhelmed. That was the latest in a number of Genesis-heavy tours I've seen him on, and I've decided to give it a rest now so haven't booked for this year (and was also put off by the idea of the orchestra). I also really don't like Nad Sylvan. I'd really like to see SH return to solo material sets now. Preferably ones that don't include Hierophant!

Coming on 16th for a week. As an extended family (8 of us) we have been coming to Nairn I would guess 15 times in the last 20 years. Started on the caravan site but now we rent a large house just two minutes away from the beach. So looking forward to it

That massive caravan site! It's huge. (If it's the one I think you mean).

Further along, in the little park there's a small cafe that does excellent home-made ice-cream.

I'm going in the opposite direction. Week planned in June at Nairn with extended family. Will no doubt visit Inverness while we are there

I like Nairn a lot, I hope to get back over there one weekend soon.

It'd be a coincidence if your week in June was the one commencing the 4th, as that's my first Edinburgh trip of this year. The final one will be in November to see King Crimson.

I suppose The Waiting Room is the obvious choice, the only example in their career of a free-form jam. In a way, it's their Revolution 9. I love the second half, it's one of my favourite pieces of Genesis music. I always liked the rare occasions when they got a bit dirtier and edgy. If part 2 of TWR is at the end of the Genesis spectrum I most like, the opposite end has the stuff I really dislike - the shiny, twee, fluffy stuff like RA&B, Mouse's, Snowbound, Scenes.

Who Dunnit, while not a favourite of mine (although I don't mind it), was kind of a clever move by them. Abacab is generally a very conscious step away from their (and the fans') "safe" zone, and that track sums up that move. I did read Banks saying they knew it would annoy the hell out of lots of fans, which is why they did it. I like that approach.

In some ways I think Happy The Man is an unusual one in that it doesn't feature much (or any?) keyboard and lacks those trademark chords. Harlequin is similar.

More Fool Me does stand out, being a quite soulful and melancholy guitar-and-vocal duo, something they only did that once, I think. I like it a lot and it shows how varied their work is. Side 1 of SEBTP remains for me probably their finest bit of track sequencing in any album.

Oh and of course, Horizons is pretty unusual.