Posts by Backdrifter

I've been watching drama series The Dropout on the bbc iplayer. It tells the story of the Theranos blood-testing scandal. Really gripping, horrible at times (especially as it actually happened) but it even has touches of humour. It grimly illustrates how people can be caught up in the energy and enthusiasm of a highly driven person, particularly when it promises the possibility of money.

I made smoky butterbeans using smoked sundried tomatoes, smoked garlic and smoked paprika all cooked in passata with onion, bayleaf, agave, mustard and balsamic vinegar. They were luscious.

It can't be. We Can't Dance 2 is too bad of a name. They would have gone with something quippy like, We Still Can't, or Well, We Tried...

I heard the surplus album's worth of material was a bunch of uncharacteristically dirty spiky low-fi borderline scary stuff, recorded during late-night/small hours jams that became gradually more unhinged, in a sort of return to the Lamb sessions 'evil' jam. Somewhere there's a whole album that even long-time fans would have trouble recognising as Genesis, speculatively titled The Black Dance (some say it was The Devil's Dance, which I find unlikely). But it will never see any form of release, sadly.

Could we please stick to discussing Genesis in this Genesis forum? There are lots of fan forums out there for all the artists mentioned in this thread, anyone is welcome to join an Ed Sheeran forum and tell people there how relevant or irrelevant their idol is. For perspective, I'd suggest to tell people in Metallica/Slayer/Iron Maiden forums something about the relevance of Phil Collins or Genesis. See how they will react.

Though bear in mind this thread essentially started as a whinge about Genesis not rating highly in streaming compared to more recent hugely popular acts who are disliked by some members, leading to further whinging. And why not? We're all free to moan about stuff, nothing wrong with that. Personally I don't mind discussions broadening out as they develop, it's natural. Anyway they largely stay within topic apart from the occasional diversion, which is fine in my view.

what can't be denied is that Mr Sheeran lacks talent, to put it mildly.

What all your elongated babbling means when boiled down is simply that you don't like Sheeran and therefore make ludicrous dogmatic statements such as above, turning your personal opinion into supposed fact by putting "what can't be denied" in front of it, and that you're a gushing Collins fanboy who thinks he can do no wrong. It's a lot quicker to just say that.

I get it. Although the 'trying, he can't sell anything' line makes no sense given that he has in fact sold millions.

But this is only your opinion, remember. He has a large fan base. To each their own.

Also, there's been a couple of accusations in this thread of his being a plagiarist. On the two occasions he's been taken to court over alleged plagiarism, he's won. Before this, the first time he was challenged he settled out of court on the advice of his lawyer, which he then later regretted and wished he'd pursued the case to clear his name. As sometimes happens with hugely successful artists (such as bestselling authors as well) he's had many legal challenges, no doubt following his out-of-court settlement, by people hoping to get a similar payout.

Rather than post this in the "What Movie Have You Watched" thread (where I'm currently talking to myself), because this is one I haven't watched but would like to, I decided to start a new thread as it's a broader topic.

The new documentary film Eno, unsurprisingly about Brian Eno, is released next month. Perhaps also unsurprisingly, given it's about an innovative creative thinker with often off-centre ideas, it's not a standard film format. It will be shown using generative software developed specially for this film. By my shaky understanding, the film-makers have amassed a store of archive and interview footage. Apart from a fixed beginning and end, and a few fixed anchor points along the way, each showing of the film will be otherwise generated by the software by drawing footage from the database. It's been designed to do this so as to create a logical narrative rather than just a jumble of material. The director says each showing will be unique, rather like each performance of a stage play or a gig.

The first UK screening is in London at the Barbican, with Eno introducing it. I'm intrigued how cinema screenings will work, and presume they'll be streamed to venues but I'm not sure.

In a broader sense, will this development have much impact on the film industry, or will this be a one-off? I'm guessing somewhere in between. I can't see big studios going for it and releasing a generative Marvel Avengers, Star Wars or Batman film for example. But I wonder if smaller scale, more niche film-makers will start to take it up, for example producing generative dramas in which the plot details and trajectory, maybe even the endings, change with each screening.

Suede's debut album released this day in 1993. Any memories of that, thewatcher ?

I became aware of them around that time because of the buzz about the album, which was described as "the best debut album ever" which is the sort of rhetoric few acts can live up to. But despite the rather overheated hype at the time, followed by the loss of a key member early on, they've had a terrific 30-year career. While I don't seek out their work I usually like what I hear and have a lot of respect for them. It feels to me they've got better with time.

Ultimately it's irrelevant what a small gaggle of bellyaching Genesis fans think of Sheeran or any of the acts mentioned earlier in this thread, or what the ratio of solo-written to collaborative songs is, as though that's some kind of sacred standard. They're good at what they do and are hugely popular, loved by millions around the world and good on them. They bring many people pleasure and enjoyment.

I'm personally not keen on them but I respect them. Often, undemanding middling acts become hugely popular as there's nothing very challenging about their work, it's safe and therefore has widespread appeal. Other examples are Coldplay, Adele and Collins solo. I'm not hugely enthused about any of them but they have a formula that hit a global sweet spot. Well done them.