Posts by Backdrifter

Not to my liking but always interesting to see others' rearrangements. Check out a few others in the rearranged albums thread.

You should have put up a spoiler alert. I'm going to Charlotte tomorrow and apparently wouldn't have noticed that he was sitting all night until I saw your post.

Or alternatively you might not have noticed he wasn't even there at all.

This reads as AI journalism, as opposed to an actual person writing it.

At least I hope so, because if Su is a real person, she really needs to learn how to fact check and edit her articles (or go to work for Breaking the Band, which was about as good a piece of "journalism").

If Su is a real person she needs to develop basic cognitive faculties. But you're right it does have that AI ring to it...

Perhaps that article was originally written in another language, and then some of the information got lost in translation. It happens.

...or indeed it's this, equally possible

https://rockcelebrities.net/ge…n-to-retire-from-touring/

Can't help but laugh at what has to be one of the most poorly written articles on the tour I've read. Phil Collins wasn't able to join this tour due to health problems?? Who was singing then? The audience doesn't realize Phil is sitting down? 😂

I'm in hysterics here. One of the most poorly written articles? Surely it has to be the absolute worst. It's the most mixed-up self-contradictory stream of twaddle I've seen for some time. Yes I think my favourite bit is the audience not realising PC is seated "due to camera angles". That is, of course, having originally said he wasn't even on the tour. And then saying that since 2007 he continued touring with Genesis, sitting down some of the time.

I urge everyone to read it, it's hilarious.

Just got my confirmation from Ticketmaster, the second Glasgow show is now officially cancelled as it was not possible to reschedule it. No surprise and pretty much expected, but still very disappointing for all fans for whom that was the only chance to see them. The band must be absolutely gutted.

I feel even more fortunate now, that having managed to see the first Glasgow show I still have the 2nd and 3rd London ones to come and now know I will be going to the last Genesis gig ever.

My usual oatmeal concoction, but with the addition of a teaspoon of top-quality peanut butter stirred in.

Oh my word.... breakfast nirvana. Just one teaspoon - what a difference. But this won't be a frequent thing. Maybe once a month to keep it special.

Plus my usual mug of tea but annoyingly it didn't seem to brew properly, it was pale and weak despite my careful addition of barely a teaspoonful of milk. I like tea to be bordering on creosote (in colour, not taste).

Funnily enough, I was thinking about this collaboration a week or two back, as the Cocteau Twins clip of Pearly Dewdrops Drops was on TV (BBC2 or 4).

Sorry I missed that, I like PDD and quite a few other Cocteaus songs. That atmospheric, ringing, reverb-y sound was quite striking at the time.

The whole negative reaction to old stuff is a bit perplexing to me. In 2007 Ripples, FOF, IKWIL, the Old Medley and Carpet Crawlers were all warmly received at the show I attended in DC. Fourteen years later are there suddenly a bunch of 50 year old IT fans showing up at Genesis gigs who have no exposure to any of the older material?

Could be a number of things - maybe partly what you say, partly that particular city, the demographic on that specific evening... hard to say. Also, Methos perhaps wasn't citing a full-on negative reaction, rather that there was less enthusiasm for the 70s stuff. It'll be interesting to hear what tonight's audience is like

Playing Misunderstanding makes sense, even if I prefer Duchess over this one (and I love Misunderstanding too), since it had success in America and has a kind of "American" feel over Duchess, which seems much more "British" to me (and I'm French, so you will probably find my view laughable).

I don't think that's laughable, in some ways being neither American nor British puts you in a good position to make judgements about stuff feeling more one than the other!

I didn't want to start a new thread so have commandeered this one to post this Soundcloud clip of SH guesting in Elizabeth Fraser's show as part of Antony Johnson's Meltdown Festival in 2012. It seemed to me this hadn't been posted on this board, not that I could see anyway. Just shy of 2 minutes but very nice - Make Lovely.

I remember an interview in which she said she wanted a Steve Hackett-type guitar sound. After thinking about it, the search for a Steve Hacketty guitarist honed in on, er, Steve Hackett.

For those who don't know, Fraser was the singer of carefully-crafted gibberish in the Cocteau Twins. In this gig she covered This Mortal Coil's cover of Song To The Siren. Hackett would've been a brilliant accompanist for that.

I think I was originally a little averse to seeing a "tribute band". But then I started thinking of it less as a tribute band, and more as a night at the symphony or theater. I'm excited to listen to the CSO play a night of Beethoven, or see Les Miserables or something, even though nobody on stage was associated with the actual writing of the music. That's not to say you need to do the same; to each their own. But I'm glad I decided to see TMB (more than a few times now). I didn't get to see Genesis back in the day, so it's nice (for me at least) to experience someone else's version of it. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

This all makes absolute sense to me and exactly the approach I imagine most attendees at tribute band gigs will have. It's not for me at all but I completely get the appeal. Very interesting, your symphony/theatre take on it. One of my main "eeeuurrrgggh, no!" reactions is when I see slavish recreations of specific Genesis tours, complete with outfits, props etc and the PG performer doing (eg) the 'lawnmower' mime - I've seen a clip of that and it made me cringe. The cringe factor lessens slightly when thought of in your "night at the theatre" context.

I appreciate that do to a decent Genesis tribute show they have to be excellent musicians, kudos to them for that. A band just playing a good mix of 5/4/3-man straight with no theatrical recreation would come closest to tempting me, but ultimately not enough to actually go. Even more so after the Last Domino tour has ended.