Posts by Dr. John

I had no problem with the 1992 tour. Phil was in really good voice - still had fair range, but traded the raspy aggression for more warmth. Driving the Last Spike and particularly Fading Lights were great live workouts. Invisible Touch was much better in the lower key (not as strained). HBTS/2HBTS was more muscular. And although the Old Medley was my least favourite medley, opening with Dance On a Volcano was magnificent.

It's a shame Living Forever never made it beyond rehearsals as it sounds pretty good. I also wish the Drum Duet headed into something. Even if it didn't go into Los Endos, it could go into something else - maybe the Firth of Fifth instrumental and then the Musical Box closing section instead. Then the Old Medley could have just been DOAV intro TLLDOB into IKWIL.

Thank you! Also love all the collaborations with Elvis Costello, including You Want Her Too and particularly That Day Is Done.

I tend to think of his Wings output the same as his solo output - I even file them all in the same spot. I know there are a few writing contributions from other members, but for the most part it is still him as the main artist.

By 'album' you presumably mean Skylarking but again, I never knew it as a track on that - I think it was added to later editions as a result of its popularity. Consider 'Jump' (a Mummer b-side) as a replacement.

Yes, I didn't get Skylarking until years after its release - the CD includes Dear God.

A footnote to XTC: in my list, Your Dictionary is one of the saddest songs they ever did. It's a reflection of the breakup of Andy Partridge's marriage, and while (very) grimly humorous in a way, it's acidly despondent. But it poses an interesting question: would it get airplay, indeed has it ever had any? I wonder because it spells out words that are generally unbroadcastable, but doesn't actually say them.

I love the song and don't know if it ever got airplay. Clever and poignant.

I detect a particular emphasis on the Tug of War album, which is one of my favourites. That said, how could you leave out What's That You're Doing? A far superior collaboration with Stevie Wonder than the other one they did on that album.

This is also great. But isn't Dear God fairly well known? I had heard the song and seen the video long before I heard the whole album.

Thanks also for your other list. More to explore.

I have not explored enough XTC albums, so this is great for me.

Pretty good, although I would have thought Dead Flowers was one of their best loved tracks, same for Sweet Virginia which I actually saw them play. I would add Rain Fall Down, which I love.

Fair. Definitely Stones fans would list those two among classics. I think that casual fans wouldn't really know those two songs unless they had those albums. Other songs on those albums get more radio exposure or inclusion on playlists. Rain Fall Down is great too. Maybe you should make a second Stones list?

This is one of my favourite David Crosby songs. Beautiful and serene, with a really neat open tuning on guitar.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I'm 54 and while Abacab is not one of my top 3 albums, I have a very healthy respect for it. All of my favourite artists branched into new territory with each album. Abacab is a great example of this, sounding quite different than Duke and being light years away from Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering just a few years before. I'm not sure I would have cared much if Abacab had simply been Wind and Wuthering version 4.0.