Posts by WILL_son

I also like this song a lot. The album is a mixed bag, but "Bless Me" is a good track!

Yes, first I thought that's pretty average, but it's a grower ...

Like this one: "Along The Way", written by Ray's brother Steve

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So, this is "Bless me" - enhanced and restored music video. The track was a left-over from the She-album and then became the first single on "Propaganda Man"

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Another track I really like is "Wake Up Your Mind" from the Stiltskin/She album.

Hi

As you might have noticed, Ray is celebrating 30 years in the music business this year. In another thread (here) I have posted the new music video for "Calling All Stations", which was produced this year. Ray has put some further new videos on YouTube to celebrate his anniversary.

So I thought I'd post them here (not all at once) over the next few weeks.

I start with "Millionairhead", which is the title track of the Cut_ album from 1999.

That one contains footage from a stadium gig Cut_ did at the time supporting big German rock star Westernhagen.

I totally agree that a second album would almost certainly have been an improvement.

I also really (really!) wish Mike and Tony had chosen to re-record all of the songs on Calling All Stations once they had hired all of the musicians that played on the album. Making everyone just overdub on top of the duo's demos led to the album feeling a bit stiff and flat. Had they gone back to five guys playing in a room together I think those songs would have taken on a bit more life.

Agree. I think they thought their jams would work without Phil, but then of course something was missing. Joining that process late was difficult for Ray and I also was curious to see what would have happened on a possible follow-up album. Shame that did not happen ...

Saw this in the German forum

External Content youtu.be

I remember this performance well, it was really awesome to hear Ray's voice on Genesis tracks such as "No son" and "Lover's leap" for the first time ...

Thank you for all your comments

That really helps me to understand the situation better.

For those of you interested in some "deep cuts" from his career, here's a small list

Guaranteed Pure: A Well Known Song

Stiltskin: The Poltroon

Cut: No Place For A Loser

Cry If You Want To

Cool Water

Sometimes

Stiltskin: Summer Days

Frequency

Things Don't Stop

Guns Of God

No Dreams Are Made Of This

Tried And Failed

The Next Life

Cold Like Stone

He has also sung the track "Roses" by German band RPWL

Ray Wilson celebrates 30 years of music this year - and we get a couple of new music video, such as this one:

Not sure if this is the right place, but Ray once did a cover version of "New York state of mind" (Billy Joel).

Here it is:

I've noticed that Ray Wilson is viewed rather critically among Genesis fans (ok, I guess it's rather obvious), but I wonder why that is? Obviously Calling All Stations is a contentious album, but it seems to me that his solo albums get a lot less attention among Genesis fans than Tony's or even Ant's. Of course there's the problem that he almost only plays concerts in Poland and Germany, but Tony or Ant don't play live at all.

I followed Ray's music with interest and thought at the time that his band Cut could be a good contrast to Genesis. I like almost all of his solo albums, of course there are weaker albums, but overall I think he has taken an interesting path.

In fact, the vast majority of Genesis fans don't seem to be interested at all.

Why is that? How is it with you? Have you looked into Ray Wilson? If so, which songs or albums appeal to you? If not, why not?

I'm looking forward to the answers and comments :)

"Firth Of Fifth"

"Mama"

"Los Endos"

"Land Of Confusion"

"Carpet Crawlers"

yes, no "Supper's Ready", which is among my favorites, but I rate other tracks higher. "Land Of Confusion" might be an odd choice but I think this track brought many new fans into diving deep into the history of the band and besides, it's a f**** awesome rock song.

Other tracks would be "The Dividing Line", "Watcher Of The Skies", The Musical Box", "Afterglow" and "Fading Lights"

"Ought To Be Resting"

"Change"

"Fly High"

"Song For A Friend"

"Makes Me Think Of Home"

There are a couple of tracks that come close, like "Hey, Hey", "American Beauty", "Beach", "You Could Have Been Someone" and some others.

I also like "Cool Water", I wonder why this didn't end up on one of his early albums.