Posts by OneForTheVine

Some interesting comments in the above posts. First, I do agree with the OP and no need for an apology. PC has always been a favourite musician of mine and having seen him in action a few times in person as well as the countless times on screen, yes its hard to now see him as a sort of diminished figure. For me, the main sadness is his not being able to drum any more.

Plus, in all honesty, another purely selfish reason I feel sad about it is that his physical inability to drum means whatever dwindling possibility there'd been of more Genesis shows has vanished completely.

Re Bowie, his death remains the one I can't believe actually happened. Well, obviously I know it did, but you know what I mean! But yes with Squire and Wetton etc going, horrible as it is we are now into that phase where these musicians we admire are reaching the end of their lives and we know there'll be other sad news to have to endure. But the fact their work endures is a comfort.

The part I highlighted of yours reminded me about the story I alluded to in my last post.

Here is it and, IMHO, take it with a very large grain of salt - on the other hand, the source is Tony Banks himself:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com…-collins-genesis-reunion/

Again, I am very highly dubious about this ever occurring, but at least 2/3 of the trio are somewhat willing to let the mere idea still exist...

It's a difficult question & I empathasise. I have not really discussed it on this board, but I was a devoted Eagles & Glenn Frey fan. When Glenn Frey died, 8 days after Bowie (and I was still reeling from Bowie's death), it was devastating. I had seen him live so often & it was only the last tour I saw in 2015 when it was obvious that he was no longer himself. Still, when he died it was a bolt from the blue. Even worse, the 'Eagles' decided after a year had passed to continue without him.

So I am grateful that Phil is still with us, I admire his fortitude & his courage, & I hope I get the chance to see him live. I am also a fairly recent Genesis addict.

Oh my...I still remember how dreadful 2016 was for older (and seemingly not-so-old) musicians: David Bowie, Glenn Frey, Keith Emerson, Prince, Greg Lake (among many others). The year before claimed Chris Squire and the year following John Wetton - I remember yelling to the heavens, "Please stop it!"

I saw the Eagles in the UK in 2014 and it was fantastic - but, I agree: Glenn clearly wasn't himself. It was almost like they were touring because they sensed that it might be Glenn's last go-round. In any case, I'm glad I got to see them with Glenn still with us (and I'm much less interested in seeing them without Glenn).

I'm torn about seeing Phil on this tour. I'd like to see him because I do think this is his last tour (despite Tony's semi-recent comments about his being at least willing to entertain the possibility of reuniting - if this info is unfamiliar to anyone, I can try to find the link - let me know on-thread); on the other hand, I'm not completely convinced I can handle seeing him struggling in any way in performance. That would affect me negatively. In any case, I'm glad he's giving it a go though.

Phil's long-ongoing health battles really bother me as well. I think they bother me so much because Phil just seems like a regular nice guy, like someone you would know at work or as a neighbor. Also, it doesn't seem like he lived the kind of lifestyle that would have warranted having his health fail him so drastically (e.g., Keith Richards and Ozzy Osbourne (among many others) should have died several times over from all of their excesses over their careers, and yet they are relatively unscathed). Phil's difficulties just seem a bit unfair, esp. since some of them seem to have arisen from his just doing his job (e.g., his neck problems arose simply from the posture he used while playing the drums).

Yes, his current condition bothers me as well.

We are seeing Jason Bonham's Led Zeppelin Experience on May 23 (he has had to retitle his band Led Zeppelin Evening but I booked the tickets before that happened)!

Steven Wilson on November 8.

You will love Jason Bonham and his band. I saw them back in November at the kickoff for his latest tour, and it was even better than the year before. As his "Jimmy Page" this time around, he has Jimmy Sakurai, who is widely credited as being the best "Page" in LZ cover bands. He was formerly in Led Zepagain and his own Mr. Jimmy. Jason was so impressed that he asked him to join, and he (obviously) said yes. You'll love it.

LZ asked Jason to change the name. Since this year is LZ's 50th anniversary, they wanted "LZ Experience" for themselves. It is yet to be seen as to why, but I am intrigued...

From what I remember of it, yes, but my mother was an English teacher & I was trained to read literature, even something as avant garde as Finnegan's Wake.

I don't really associate music with books unless I can tie a song to a specific piece of writing; hence Romeo & Juliet by Dire Straits, which is my second favourite song (Slowdancer's comments above about associating Making Movies with LOTR are fascinating. I associate it with Led Zeppelin IV).

The Song Of Ice & Fire books by George R. R. Martin were a new experience for me. I loved them & love Game Of Thrones. In light of what some have said about fantasy/prog I wonder if this made me more inclined to delve deeper into Genesis.

Well, I think we would all recommend that you delve deeper into Genesis - but, then again, we are a bit biased. ;)

Like you, I associate the world evoked by Led Zeppelin IV and LOTR as being the same place. Robert Plant himself adored Tolkien, and there are references throughout Led Zeppelin's lyrics to Middle Earth. "Making Movies" is my favorite Dire Straits album ("Brothers In Arms" a close second), and I was thrilled that they finally were voted into the RnR Hall Of Fame this year - both The Moody Blues and they ought to have been inducted long ago...

"Finnegan's Wake" is one of those notoriously and legendarily impenetrable books. Thus, Joyce's quote about it, "I've put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that's the only way of insuring one's immortality." ^^

One of the very many reasons I like early Genesis is that they allude to and/or directly refer to Classical Mythology. That's my field of training, and I've actually used some Genesis songs as an out-of-the-ordinary way to teach some of the myths.

Speaking of PC's lyrics, at a Hackett gig last year, introducing Inside & Out SH said Collins wrote the lyrics, "before he started writing songs about ex-wives".

He said the same thing at the show I saw too. FWIW, looking at the lyrics, they strike me as Phil-composed.

I'm currently reading Pigs Might Fly by Mark Blake. It's long been recognised as one of the most authoritative and well-written books on Pink Floyd. Having only just started reading it (I'm up to the Dark Side Of The Moon period) I have to agree.

That's a great book - wait until you get to the part where they describe the WYWH tour stop in Pittsburgh. It still makes me laugh just to think about it. ^^

...and the first new show has been announced!

Saturday, June 16 in Vineland, NJ at the Landis Theater:

https://landistheater.com/event/the-genesis-show-2/

(on the sales page on their website, it says that the tickets may not be on sale until May 19 - try the link; if it doesn't work, try the phone number)

They are truly outstanding! Scroll above to learn more about them.

(Also, in July, if you are in the greater Philadelphia area, Trespass are playing again in Bryn Mawr - see the thread in this Tribute Bands area for Trespass to find the link for tickets.)