Posts by Gabble Ratchet

Got tickets for ‘G2 - Definitive Genesis’ playing in Putney, London later this month. I’ve never seen them before so no idea what it’ll be like. I’ll try and take some short vids for you guys, if anyone’s interested

We drove around the deserts of Namibia listening to nothing but Neil Young. Great stuff! I love your playlist but my fave is missing;: ‘Natural Beauty’ (Cortez the killer being a close second imho....or is it? ...no: I mustn’t go there!)

First single I bought myself, was ‘money, money, money’ by ABBA in 1976. Then a kid at school did me a tape of Dark Side. Because of the way he’d scrawled the tracks on the cassette card it looked like there was 1 track called, ‘The great giginthe’ with a separate track called ‘sky’ (written on the line below.) For months I struggled to work out where one finished and the next began 😂😂😂

First album I bought myself was Led Zep II a few months later. Yup: I ‘progressed’ from pop pretty quickly.

Hi, Great you’ve joined us, Old Miss Mort. A couple of great choices there! Wouldn’t be surprised if one or both of those come back as the countdown continues. I quite agree about their interchangeability. I’m constantly juggling the order of my faves too as I endlessly re-play them. I’ll add your choices to the chart and get ready to pick #8 on Friday 😀

If you came here looking for medleys, sorry, but this thread has been closed due to trolling and the presence of other inappropriate posts. If you think this is to the detriment of the forum, write to admin and request a zero tolerance of trolling.

I imagine "The Knife" would have been very exhilarating to hear in a live setting (sadly I can't speak from experience),

Yes, PG would launch himself into the crowd, by all accounts. One of the original crowd-surfers no less. Apparently, he got quite badly hurt on one occasion when the crowd parted in alarm and he hit the floor.

This is a forum and, despite your attempts to control what members say here, we are all free to contribute. You made a comment and I put you right. It's got nothing to do with "trolling" or being "inflammatory" so I suggest you calm yourself and consider the stupidity of your remarks.

Whatever! You're right and I'm stupid. Happy now?

The only inference that can be made from this comment is that Phil's success as a solo artist dictated the direction in which Genesis went during the eighties. Could you be more wrong? No, you couldn't.

Oh for heaven's sake, SCD, don't start trolling! Your comment is clearly inflammatory. As this is a thread you have already declined to participate in, please desist.

I have found over the years that it's better to just let people have their say on what they like and what they don't like and not to challenge their opinion. Challenge leads to conflict as less secure people feel that they have to defend their standpoint by criticising what they don't like rather than praising what they love.

For me, there are two distinct eras for Genesis: 1970 - 1977 and 1980 - 1992. It matters less who was in the band during those eras but what kind of music was being made. Basically, the first era leant towards complexity and the second era lent more towards immediacy. The only constant through both eras was Tony, Phil and Mike. If you play in a band long enough, it's natural that you change, adapt, mature etc. And that, for me, is exactly what Genesis did.

I. Really, SCD? 😳 You've been quick to challenge opinions expressed on the drumming merits of Phil & Chester on one of my threads. Fortunately, we're big boys and can take it! 😀

2. I'd agree with you on irrelevance of the Gabriel vs Collins (vs Hackett) debates and

I'd also agree on the complexity of the early stuff (which I would say ends with the Lamb) and the easy digestibility of the latter period which I would say started from 1978 rather than 1980. The 4 man period in 1976 is a more complex beast to categorise imho. With the loss of their charismatic frontman, Trick was in some ways a hybrid, free to explore new avenues, experimenting with powerhouse, yet relatively simple, tracks like Squonk, and quirky time signatures (Volcano) whilst also retaining more familiar keyboard based ballads such as MMM. Although musically less complex than earlier albums, it proved to be a staggering success and the band finally cleared their debts (£1.25 million in today's money) Then came W&W! Banks has described this as 'Foxtrot 4 years on' and he's damned right, imho! But why return to a formula that had proven to be much less commercially successful? I suspect it was because at heart they were true musicians and relished in composing songs of such complexity. Let's not forget that Banks took a whole year to compose 'One for the Vine'. Yet, their efforts here failed to replicate the success of Trick and by the time Attw3 came along, they'd lost their guitarist, punk and new wave were all the rage and the music press were hounding 'prog rock' mercilessly. There simply was no going back.

9. Stagnation

I imagine "The Knife" would have been very exhilarating to hear in a live setting (sadly I can't speak from experience), but for me "Stagnation" was by far the most appealing track on Trespass and the one most likely to cause goosebumps to rise.

'Stagnation' is my Trespass fave too, Witchwood. I especially like it when it kicks off at 5.55 with Gabriel yelling 'I wanna sit down' before .... a gentle flute refrain which the rest of the band then take over and build up into a glorious crescendo.Goosebumps? You bet!

As one of those guilty of posts in your top 10 thread that are "clogging it up" I apologise for contributing to the clogging (though conversations do develop organically in forums like this, it's always going to happen), Don't get me wrong, I entirely understand you being frustrated about the off-topic posts.

Oh, I would never object to informative comments such as yours Backdrifter. They will always be welcome 😀 I was thinking more of the short spat which developed between a couple of other members which should have been conducted privately via the 'conversation' option rather than on a public thread. As it happens, the thread has recovered and is back on track again, I am relieved to say.

Also my school friends were getting more into grunge and other stuff that does nothing for me, so I had no one to share my love of their music with, and Phil started to get particularly bad press at the time, so it wasn't "cool" to be a fan of either as a teenager.

What a great story, Whorish Ant!. I always love stories where people refuse to follow the pack. You see, Genesis were cool when I was at school so my journey was an easier one. The fact that you found your own musical path and at an age when we are all so desperate to be accepted as part of ‘the gang deserves TOTAL ✊ RESPECT!

At #9 I have Home by the Sea from the Genesis album.

What I do find irritating and unnecessary is the little gap between the two parts on the album, as if they needed to physically separate them. But forgiving them this, here we have their last great song.

They probably split the track to stick with the smaller stepping stones from which their musical pathway was now formed. Remember, long 'proggy' tracks were well out of fashion by this date. It started back in 1980. They'd originally planned to release 'Behind the Lines - Duchess - Guide Vocal - Turn it on again - Duke's Travels - Duke's End' as one epic 27 min piece of music on the whole first side of the DUKE album. These were the tracks they'd all collaborated on together. The other side would have been where their solo stuff sat. It made so much sense, but then they changed their minds and cut it up into bite-sided chunks, allegedly out of fear that it would not stand comparison with 'Supper's Ready'. To me, this was a travesty and the point when music finally got 'dumbed down' for the masses; but understandable nonetheless. The music press of the day were hounding prog rock. It was deemed pretentious and 'yesterday's music' after the explosion of punk and New Wave. Then when Phil had his smash hit with Face Value the following year, there was definitely no turning back!