Posts by chema

mike contributed a lot to many genesis hits and classics, even though he wasn't as bossy as tony.

the cinema show: first half is mainly mike's (if i'm not mistaken)

dance on a volcano: lyrics by mike

ripples: mainly written by mike

squonk: same as above

follow you, follow me: guitar riff and lyrics by mike

turn it on again: same as above

behind the lines: lyrics by mike

abacab: idem

mama: drum machine by mike

invisible touch: guitar riff by mike

throwing it all away: lyrics and guitar riff by mike

land of confusion: lyrics (and probably something else) by mike

i can't dance: guitar riff by mike

...just to name a few.

'a trick of the tail' is for me the most perfect genesis album, each and every song is good.

'duke' is not perfect, but it has some strong tracks, and it also has a special atmosphere.

'trespass', i personally have a soft spot for it, i can't explain why.

so these are my three votes.

'face value' and 'but seriously' got my votes.

'testify' has no votes so far. i think that any of the outtakes included in the extra cd from the 2016's deluxe edition (high flying angel, crystal clear, hey now sunshine, tv story, it's only loving, tearing and breaking) would have made 'testify' a better album. besides, and funnily, those extra tracks have a warmer sound to my ears, as if they had been recorded for some other album, 'brother bear' or whatever. the sound of 'testify' is too cold and machine-like, and the 2016's remaster couldn't fix it,

i've always found the funky horns on no reply at all and paperlate very un-genesis (which doesn't mean that i don't like those songs). genesis played a wide variety of styles and sounds, but they all were made by themselves. there were no addicional musicians in any album from 'trespass' to 'we can't dance', except for the guest appearance of the earth, wind & fire horn section for those two 'abacab' tracks.

well, maybe we should consider brian eno on 'the lamb lies down on broadway' as a guest musician too, but his input doesn't stand out as much as the above mentioned horns...

i'm glad to see that the soundtrack albums -birdy, passion, ovo and long walk home- are included in the poll.

i love the experimental rock and the dark atmosphere from the first four albums. but they all are great. my votes went to melt, security and so.

hang in long enough is a great album opener. it's also a great live number: it has been played on every tour since its release. i wonder if phil has ever been asked why he likes that song so much.

i made a four cd complilation. each cd is based on each of the official live albums: the way we walk, three sides live, seconds out and genesis live. when i like a live album by any artist or band, i enjoy putting together the studio versions of those songs in the same order, with only a few replacements.

i know that the running order of the genesis live albums was very questionable, and that "longs and shorts" thing was a bad idea, but... those live albums bring me back good memories from my teen days, so they have a special charm for me even though they weren't perfect.

cd 1:

land of confusion

no son of mine

jesus he knows me

throwing it all away

i can't dance

mama

hold on my heart

that's all

in too deep

illegal alien

tonight, tonight, tonight