Posts by Thelawnmower

Obviously speculation but I took it to mean Tony is doing some more classical. He goes on to say basically he doesn’t know what Phil and Mike will do but there’s always stuff on the go

Undoubtedly some great music, but lacking warmth and genuine wit after Syd.
    Piper, Dark Side and Wish all classics to me, The Wall is a great show, not so much a great album, Division Bell a touch lighter and better for it. Animals close to a classic but edged out of it by too much cynicism. The rest an intriguing mix of noodling and brilliant flashes. Love Gilmour’s guitar and voice, Roger’s ranting when kept in check, Rick’s chords and Syd’s brilliance, also Nick’s attitude. When these ingredients were in balance they were hard to beat, But too much time wasted on squabbling, schoolboy cynicism and attitude rather than soul. But when it does work - superb

Thanks for those comments, I’ve just read the Guardian article and I’ll catch up with Waters’ comments later today. It sounds like Waters is well wide of the mark here and has a lot of back-tracking to do. Gilmour is wise to keep out of that row and it’s clear he has done a very good thing for all the right reasons here, as has Mason in supporting him.

Yes, not bad. Would have been good to hear some Gilmour vocals as well and if they had managed to get Roger involved it would probably have been more interesting musically but would have taken for ever and lost its way in the reunion furore which would have followed. All of which is hardly the point anyway. Well done to them and it will do its own little bit to raise awareness, hopefully including what I imagine will be a sizeable Floyd fan base in Russia, who are starved of accurate information about all this but might find their way to a music site that hosts this. A positive glint in a desperate scenario.

Don’t know about the duck but I’ve always thought the lines you quote do sound like Phil but also for an unknown reason I’ve thought David H is probably in the mix of backing vocals on Man of our Times. The production on that track has always intrigued me. Would like to know more about it.

I agree with OneForTheVine, it’s a shame but it is what it is. I’ve already said I’m not sure if want a record of this tour given the vocals - they sounded MUCH better live than on YouTube. I agree wholeheartedly about the outstanding quality of the visuals and music. Having said that, I’m beginning to wonder if it will backfire with those who weren’t able to be there. If all we have are the YouTubes and maybe later some bootleg sound recordings, the received wisdom will be that Phil’s voice was a lot worse than it actually was. A carefully edited, professionally recorded CD from a few gigs would correct this. Some people have outstanding cameras on their phones and some of the videos coming out are exceptional In terms of looks but the sound recording of my a phone, or even a video camera, rarely matches the quality of the visuals and couldn’t do justice to the sound in a stadium. So whilst the decision is clearly theirs to make, I’d would be interested to see what could be done with the sound off this tour. Maybe one day someone can synch a soundboard recording to a YouTube video as these things emerge. Then again, the thing that sounded just as uncomfortable to my ears on this tour was Phil’s slightly odd enunciation of some words and slow pace at times and there’s not much to be done about that.

All in all I think they’ve made the right decision and, as others have said, I’m glad we got what we got, just sad for those who couldn’t see them for geographic or financial reasons. Literally, you had to be there and I count myself fortunate to have been able to go.

It sounds like you enjoyed the shows Christian. I wonder if you feel, like me, that although Phil’s voice is not so good, the shows were maybe more fun than 2007? I saw them in Manchester that day and felt he was going through the motions a bit as if it was all too much effort. Of course we now know he was in some pain.

Now he clearly is up against some health issues but the whole band seemed to be enjoying their swan song. Also, having seen them, do you think they are right not to release recordings of the tour?

Anyway, hope you had a great time and thanks for all of the work you put into this site, especially during this tour

I know what you mean, Steve’s IKWIL is extended and allows improv from the band. I prefer the original and the new Genesis live version but I also think it’s a good way to let the band stretch out and show what they can do and avoids the accusation of a ‘tribute’ band approach to all Genesis material. If there was a song to do that on, that’s the one. For the most part I think Steve’s arrangements of Genesis material are superb. In particular the use of oboe or sax instead of flute at times for example does enhance things. The songs have not been updated with the punch of a double drum approach that a few tracks have with mothership but they are true to the originals without being copies. We are fortunate to have any live version of the band these days, never mind two!

I went to Newcastle and loved it but I’m not sure I’d want a DVD of it. I assume that the same applies to a CD of the tour i.e. there won’t be one. Again I’d not be too worried about that, in fact a CD would probably be less desirable than a DVD as the visuals were great.

I’m grateful for what we got and there wasn’t an officially widely available record of the CAS tour. I agree it would be better to concentrate on earlier tours if there were to be any

more releases.

His first four albums were straight in for me and then I had to think about Darktown, Beyond the Shrouded Horizons and Out of the Tunnel’s mouth- eventually settling for Beyond, but on a different day maybe one of the others would win. I really like his classical albums as well but only listen to those when working on something as background. The last clutch chronologically are all good albums but merge into one in my mind. I probably need to listen to them

much more so they fix themselves in my mind.

Understandable as all this is and I speak as someone who prefers earlier material, this is not at all how the band operates, even without Phil’s limitations. This is a production, not a gig, more like a theatre show and a very expensive one at that. So I doubt there will be any changes. However, maybe an extra encore will happen in London and I wouldn’t definitely rule out a guest appearance from Steve or Pete. But then I expected an extra encore when they played Rome and we all thought that was the end and it didn’t happen. I’m amazed and grateful we got anything from them. The perfectionist Genesis of old would not have gone out with Phil’s vocals as they are but I’m glad they did and I thought he did a great job, as they all did. I’d like to be proven wrong but I don’t think they’ll push their luck any further.

Similar to others I always thought that the lawnmower, presumably Jacob, was happy to opt out of modern consumerism (this was the 70s) and adopt a rural/hippy lifestyle. He knows what he likes and he likes what he knows. He is stepping one beyond - i.e. going one better - than the lifestyle and 'show' of his critics who want him to confirm. Nowadays we might say he is authentic as opposed to their desire to put on a show with their clothes and consumer goods. So it might be getting better in their wardrobes but he's living a life that suits him. Anyway, great tune!