Posts by Mr.Farmer

I’m a member of the Labour Party and generally left of centre. It seems to me that, unfortunately, the critical mass of the UK vote sits slightly right of the centre (I know these are clumsy labels). So the Labour Party has to move to that ground to have any hope of overcoming a bias against them and the atrocious scaremongering of a still powerful media. There is simply no point trumpeting from opposition benches year after year. Keir had to take that ground more than ever - the party he inherited was unelectable on these terms and most commentators thought it would take two terms to get them back on track and somehow he has done that in one. He did that by sheer hard, professional work and beating the right wing media by not having much to say about anything and letting the Tories beat themselves.

Obviously we won by so much because of the system we have and because the Tories were hideously bad for so long and Reform them split their vote. But win he did and I’m encouraged by the start they have made. It’s so refreshing not to watch the news and listen to the embarrassing lies and sheer stupid incompetence we’ve had for the last 14 years as our leaders battled each other and played out their fantasies at the expense of good governance and the livelihoods of ordinary, hardworking people. Whatever else, if this Government can begin to rebuild trust, demonstrate integrity and competence and rekindle some spirit of public service and unity, we must surely all be better off.

The Tories will eventually have to move to the same sort of ground and any detours to the right or what they imagine to be ‘Reform’ territory will just mean more years in opposition. They are usually quite hilarious in arranging leadership elections and almost always seem to end up with someone they didn’t expect or want, so still lots to entertain.

But at least for now, in a very uncertain world, I feel we might have tickets on a slow, slightly dull but mainly on-time railway rather than careering and lurching around on a runaway train.

Yes I agree with you too. I always thought that it was pointless having JC as a leader even though I agreed with most of his policies , especially 2017, however I always knew he would lose and his leadership would mean nothing other than having to put up with Tories. I think he lost the plot by 2019.. He was a terrible leader. That was one of reasons I helped campaign, didn't want to sit back and moan about how how bad he was. Yes , you have to compromise to get in and have any effect but Starmer now seems to me be just right of centre and I couldn't bring myself to vote for them. If I had any respect for my MP I might have and would probably voted have for them tactically if I thought it would help get the Tories out but I was pretty sure the seat was safe. I ended up voting with my heart.

So I'm a couple of weeks behind this chat but I couldn't agree with you more. You said it all for me. For only the second time in my life I didn't vote Labour. 2005 I couldn't bring myself to vote for them mainly because of Iraq and partly because Blair just seemed so Tory although some good was done. Now Starmer has gone back on the pledges he made that I supported him on.

I just couldn't vote for them and my MP, Taiwo Owatemi seems like a lapdog career politician who was quite happy to work for the Tories in her early "career". She seems like the sort who sees being in politics as a career rather than a cause. I voted and campaigned for her in the previous two elections as she turned a rock solid Labour down to a majority of a few hundred votes however JC was in charge at the time or at least trying to be , failing to control the chaos around him! ( I knew it hopeless cause but I couldn't just sit back and do nothing other than moan) . If I'd thought that there would be any doubt on her winning I guess I would have voted tactically to get the Tories out . As it was I voted Green. I really think it's time we had PR where could vote for who we wanted knowing the vote would count. Occasionally have my doubts about democracy though. Maybe we could get a PR elected upper house one day. I'm hoping some good

will be done

The blue Charisma label first appeared in the UK in 1979 and was used for nearly all Charisma releases where paper labels were used. As time strolled into the 1980s Charisma embarked on a significant reissue program and so naturally the blue labels are associated with reissues but it was really just the Charisma label design from 1979 to around 1986 when the label fell into disuse.

Bear in mind that Virgin took over the manufacture and distribution of Charisma in around 1983, thus securing pretty well all Genesis related acts to go with their star signing, Phil Collins.

Thanks for that.

I have no idea where to put this. I've been trying to find out what the blue Charisma label is or signifies I know it's generally for reissues but not all reissues are.on it. When did it first appear? Does anyone know?

I've been to three since my last post here.

1. The wonderful Mostly Autumn who we see around 3 times a year recently. They absolutely fantastic live and I really recommend to anyone to fork out £20 to go and see them if you haven't already.

2 and 3

A couple of small festivals. The Sonic Rock Solstice and The Tannerfest. Between the two there were over 30 bands and I only knew of 4 , Hawklords, Trance Dimensionals, Here and Now and Jah Wobble and although I know of Jah Wobble I had absolutely no idea of any of his stuff. I would say that all the bands were great , really good musicianship , thoroughly enjoyable. It goes to show what unrecognised talent there is a out there. Such a shame. As for Jah Wobble . He was astonishingly good. One of the greatest surprises I have ever had seeing bands. It wasn't reggae it wasn't space rock and I wouldn't say pub rock either . Quite original . Brilliant.

I have to say this. Just watched Inferno, Jon Pertwee's Doctor Who. He spent time in a lock up/ garage where he was trying to fix the Tardis. Anyway he rigged up a remote device where all you had to do was press it and the doors to the garage would just open by themselves. All the other characters were amazed, it was really impressive stuff.

If you are being sarcastic, fair enough, but I responded to what seemed a genuine question from you. The only reason I did was because I happened to be playing the CD in the car, and heard the line in the song. I don't know the song that well yet for it to come instantly to mind.

NO . I wasn't being sarcastic..it was a genuine question and I was genuinely taken aback that I'd never noticed that at over 45 years of having that album. Sorry if it came over that way. I was just meaning to be light-hearted about it.😔

Did you or any child really hide behind settees? (Excellent use of a very 70s word there by the way). Ours was pushed almost to the wall so even allowing for the smallness of a young child it would have been a squeeze. Did everyone else apart from us have their settees in the middle of the room?!

Ours was pushed almost to the wall. I was pretty wirey and there was a crawling space. I remember I used to play there at times

I just recently re-watched the Capaldi ones and really enjoyed them. At the time I saw some but must have missed quite a few as there were ones I had no memory of. I like his grumpy take on the character.

While the earliest ones I recall are Troughton, Pertwee was "my" one. I vividly remember that first one of his, with the shop window dummies coming to life and smashing their way out. It's one of the most stark and memorable TV images from my childhood, along with the Goodies' giant kitten pushing over the Post Office Tower.

There's an odd moment in that first Pertwee one, where we see a shot of the plastics factory incongrously accompanied by a snatch of Oh Well by Fleetwood Mac.

I remember hiding behind the settee at shop dummies coming life. I would have been 8. I've re watched it and although I didn't end up hiding this time it still seems pretty creepy even by today's standards.

I've seen at least one gig with Davison singing and he did an admirable job. I keenly felt the absence of Anderson, but the spirit of Yes was very much there with (on that occasion) Howe, Squire and White present. Yes are not quite yet the Philosopher's Axe that (eg) the Sugababes became - always the next band you think of in a Yes discussion of course - but I agree it's a nice idea that a band can continue with no previous members remaining. When Daevid Allen was the last surviving member of Gong he stipulated that the band must continue after he'd died, and indeed it has and is well worth hearing and seeing.

Looking at the Yes setlist I have mixed feelings. I always love Trooper and Southside is probably my favourite Yes track. But the whole of Topographic would be too daunting a prospect, much as I love Ritual and kind of quite like Revealing. Was it literally all 4 parts in full or truncated versions run together?

Shame there was nothing from Close, though I suppose they usually draw from it, just not this time.

It was a specially arranged version for the tour shortend to around 20 minutes maybe a bit more.

🤣 Well I don't know about the theory, but it's certainly *A* theory.

It sounds like the start of one of the convoluted "clues" in 3-2-1.

Yes Peter Gabriel at his cryptic best. It's on the boxed set interviews. Found it on YouTube here. 9 minutes 20 secs in.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Genesis- Foxtrot.

I don't see what this has to do with Supper's Ready. :/

Peter Gabriel said that the Fox is in some cultures symbolic of the Devil. It's to do with how each letter of the word corresponds to 6 in a number pattern thus FOX = 666 . I can't remember how it is supposed to work now but that it certainly the theory.

What is the current lineup?

Steve Howe, Jon Davison ( Vocals), Billy Sherwood ( Bass) , Jay Schellen (Drums) and Geoff Downes.

Apparently Alan White and Chris Squire wanted the band to continue without them. I quite like the idea that a band can continue as an idea as opposed to it's members. It still seems as though it's a proper band with everyone contributing and not just a Steve Howe vehicle.

Yes at Birmingham Symphony hall. Realty enjoyed it. Starship Trooper the highlight, shivers down spine stuff. The singer was very good. Hit all the Jon Anderson notes although sounded a little harsh at times. I don't think anyone can match those silky sooth tones. Still, as I say, a good show.