Posts by Mr.Farmer

I was 18 and a massive Genesis fan since ATOTT I had all their albums and looking forward greatly to the new release. ATTWT was great , I loved it. It was my birthday about two or three weeks after the release of Duke so so was hoping / expecting to get it as a present, which of course I did. . In the meantime another freind of mine bought it on release day. His words were " it's good but it's not Genesis!" I'd heard TIOA on the radio thought it was ok but a bit too poppy. .When I listened to Duke I had similar thoughts to you but there were bits I loved straight away. Duchess, MOOT , Guide Vocal, BTL intro ,Dukes Travels , Dukes End.. It didnt take long to start really liking TIOA but the album stayed hit and miss with me for a quite a while. Never did and still don't care for Misunderstanding. It was the first G song I didn't really like. I also thought PDA and AT should have stayed on PC album. However for some reason I played it quite a bit and it grew on me more and more. It's not right at the top of my list but is probably my second most played album . Really like PDA and AT now. Cul De Sac and Heathaze are the sort of the thing that I like most but have never gotten into them that much , but nice in context.

So although the album was initially a bit of a disappointment to me , I now think it's great. I rank it midway amongst the G albums but still ATTWT edge it between the two. In hindsight It would have been very boring for Genesis to.have continued as they were . I can't see how they could have bettered or kept up with the standard they set in their previous style. Duke was a breath of fresh air. Truly great artists change and develop over time ( The Beatles, David Bowie) and in Genesis's case , it worked.

great quality...i did post this on another site but the same guys have revamped the Lyceum show shown on the old grey whistle test...great sound and quality

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That was great. Only pity is it's not the whole show.

I bought two CDs to go with our brand new CD player bought from Laskys in Coventry in 1987. The players had recently become affordable. One was American English by Wax . The other I think was Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells . It was and still is one of my favourite records.and I wanted to hear how it sounded it on this new format.

I'd never thought about what my first live album was but in fact it was Seconds Out, also in 79. But I quickly fell out of love with it and haven't listen to it for over 30 years.

😮 . SO is one of my all time favourites. Whenever play it's my favourite G album. Certainly feel that CS and FOF are the superior versions. Would rank as about 4 on my list when not playing anything. Certainly my choice if I could only have one G album .

Also you have got me thinking now what my first live album was. SO was one of them. I think VIVA ! Roxy Music was my first. I still love that album it has atmosphere like no other and all versions superior to the originals. I used to absolutely love the live albums. Put the headphones on and be transported to a magical place I had never been to , a live show. Bursting Out - JT , Live and Dangerous - Thin Lizzy, Made in Japan DP , Elton John's 17. 11..70 . were amongst the albums I that would send me to somewhere else. I would feel I was there .

I eventually went to my.first gig shortly before my 17th birthday, and they're still my favourite thing.