Posts by SarahJane_and_I

But the thing is that we have come to a point where I don't think any of these likes/dislikes is about expression of any opinion at all. To me, it's often a pure reaction, with barely an analysis of what's being said, but rather about what others may think of it (and we have a tendency to follow them, not to appear as a black sheep : "Everyone dislikes it, so I should dislike it too", or the contrary..).

Not very interesting...

Disliking a video on YT was anonymous I think, so I can't see how social pressure came into it. I liked a video if it was good, I disliked a video if it was bad, or I did neither if I was indifferent.

The dislike button, on YT at least, was removed because videos pushing erroneous narratives and views were being heavily ratio'd with down votes. Suffice to say, this happened to mostly those pushing mainstream, official narratives and it didn't look good, so their friends in silicon valley took action. The up and down votes system was a good idea and was basically meritocratic, which doesn't really fit in with todays world sadly.