Posts by Barrowlad

I’d be up for expanded editions for all albums up to and including Abacab (at least). Including:

Original mix (which I don’t have).

Remastered edition of the remix (to try and breathe a bit more ‘air’/less compression into them?) or new remix.

All associated b-sides for singles released (and the A sides, if not on album).

Any material tried out but never used (not sure any exists, though).

Book with essays about the recording of the album (although much of this has been covered in the interviews in the green/blue/red CD box sets), plus lots of artwork/marketing and promo material, etc.

Yep, I’d buy those - hopefully on a regular release schedule (one every 6-9 months) - without blinking. My suspicion is that the box sets released before 2010 are felt to have most of the above already covered (or at least, there’s the view that they have, by the band itself).

PG1 seems out of time, to me. The various styles on display seem strikingly different to pretty much anything else, to this day. PG4 - muddy sound, aside - transports me to South America (at least that’s what I’ve always heard - could be due to the Family & Fishing net?). Finally, Passion is possibly the best soundtrack ever written (which is saying something, given the greatness of Barry, Mancini, Hermann, et al.)

I’d like to see a ‘live’ vinyl box. I only have Seconds Out, but would buy new issues of the original ‘Genesis Live’ and Three Sides Live’ in a heartbeat. But, of course, in regard to the latter, they’d have to choose between the US and UK version (where, of course, the title only makes sense for one if the versions). They could even play around with the later sets, and reconfigure them. Have to say, given the vinyl resurgence, I was expecting this to happen before now.

While I’m here, is there any more news on the Lamb box set that has been rumoured for this year?

I was tempted to vote for ‘Your Own Special Way’, but on listening again I’ve concluded that it would have gone in there but for the chorus; I really like it up to that point. Went with the current Top 3. I do like the Autumnal feel of ‘Unquiet Slumber....’ but couldn’t justify it when considering the other tracks. Overall, though, a great album. Certainly one of my favourites.

Undertow. Might be my favourite Genesis track of all. Difficult to say exactly why it’s my No. 1; I guess it’s that very personal reason of ‘it just is’.

FYFM second; love the coda

Snowman third.

An underrated album in my opinion, unfairly maligned (at least I have the impression that it’s relatively unloved my a number of fans).

My first was in 1983, at Selhurst Park (home to Crystal Palace FC). It was an all-day event, with Gaspar Lawal (I think...), the Undertones and the Thompson Twins as support. The Plays Live album had come out just a short time before (maybe a couple of weeks?). Phil Collins joined Jerry Marrotta (spelling?) on drums after a few tracks. A great experience; it was my first ever rock concert, and well worth the bus all the way from Cumbria and back. Remember buying a sweatshirt that’s long gone, but still have the programme kicking around somewhere. Weather was excellent too, from memory. Saw him again around 87\88 in Birmingham (NEC) and for a final time at Glastonbury, 1994, but that first gig was the best.