Posts by thewatcher

Tonight, bit of an odd one: Russell Crowe's Indoor Garden Party Band at Inverness Eden Court. I gather he does his own fairly safe blues/country-tinged rock compositions with some covers thrown in. Mrs B and I thought it would be something of a novelty to see an oscar-winning actor performing at the local arts centre, indeed on this UK tour he's playing quite small venues including a social club in Leeds last night.

I tentatively checked out some reviews which as it turns out are mainly quite positive. Hopefully it'll be an interesting one-off.

Will like to see your review in the last gig thread. It sounds a bit like David Duchovny, who I'd love to see in such a setting.

Edit: next gig, Smashing Pumpkins at a small venue in Ontario. Very stoked.

In the sense of being cautious, that you always have to think extra hard about what you want to say, write - so as not to get in trouble. It's not even a bad trait - I just prefer a more direct way of communicating.

Unless he's in law enforcement and I've broken a law, in what capacity could i be "in trouble" with this individual?

you can't complain about Mark , but you just have to be careful with him

Sorry to interject, I don't know Mark from a hole in the ground and as regards the thread topic, I'm firmly in the camp that Phil is a private person who should be left entirely alone, no questions asked. But if I "had to be careful" with a person, I would complain a lot about that aspect of them.

Most random Genesis item I have ever stumbled across in the wild. I was driving around the outskirts of Peterborough, Ontario earlier today, and we passed a large box store called Giant Tiger. I'd never heard of it before, but it's one of those stores that sells stuff very cheaply. I had no interest in it but was compelled to stop by my wife and her sister. I was killing time by browsing through the few band t-shirts they had, which had the usual Pink Floyd, Nirvana etc stuff, and I came across the one below. I've never seen a Genesis t-shirt in any of these type of sections. I grabbed a large for myself (the one pictured is 3XL which I'm thankfully not at quite yet!). I thought it was an unusual find, and also an odd choice for the picture on the front.

So does the like Harris, or not? :S

Yes! This was all news to me, but I remember when her first album came out (must be 15 years ago) loving the opening song Nuclear Seasons. I must check out the new one now.

This article is informative:

What Is Brat Summer? The Charli XCX Trend, Explained
    How to be so Julia this summer.
    www.glamour.com

Edit: an additional thought on Harris being the nominee. If she wants to create daylight between her and Biden, she really *really* needs to break with the untenable support of Israel.

I think the writing was on the wall for a while now, for Biden. Assuming Kamala is the pick, it would be great if she could pick Pete B for VP and create a line of succession that could steer the country over the course of multiple election cycles and gradually expunge the filth of the MAGA movement. I can't see that happening though. I think she'll pick a more conservative VP. I hope they win. I'm not confident of that. I hope they don't start infighting. Obama and Whitmer need to pile in behind Harris ASAP. I think any other choice is fanciful so the die is cast. Need to roll with it.

A few of my thoughts anyway!

I disliked it strongly for a long time because it wasn't to my taste and was stuck between two songs that I much preferred. I've come around and recognize it for what it is now - almost as perfect a pop-rock song as Genesis could create. I still prefer Mama and HBTS but That's All gets a 15 from me too.

I hope you are both right, and that the reform elements will remain on the margins, but this strain of extremism seems virulent unfortunately, capturing more and more people as time goes on until it is mainstream. The teenage boys it appeals to now are tomorrow's voters. France rejected it, thankfully. But it's a much bigger force than it should be across Europe. The US is on the verge of capitulating completely which can't be ignored because of their size and power. It's sucks. The whole thing sucks. What I hope is that the Democrats in the US somehow salvage the situation, and that the fire across the world peters out before too much lasting damage is done. It's a far-flung hope though, as the Project 2025 architects have their tentacles deep and wide across the judiciary, and won't mind if it becomes Project 2029 or 2033 etc. it seems to me to be a nasty moment in history and I hope the better side prevails, so to speak, but I am not confident.

I could see the following being worthwhile in terms of the extras

I would completely agree that these things would be worthwhile, but I have little faith that the band would see it that way. A couple of discs of your first point, a couple of discs of the other live version, and the main album would make a very fine 6 disc deluxe edition (throw in a DVD too!) but I'd eat my hat if it ever came to pass.

15 points.

Maybe the only Mechanics' hit that can still be heard on the radio. :/

Coincidentally I heard All I Need Is A Miracle yesterday on Moose FM in Ontario. I do hear it elsewhere from time to time, and think it's stronger than Over My Shoulder. The latter is much more of it's time, having a somewhat baleful vibe a la the much stronger Right Beside You (Sophie b Hawkins) or lots of other 90s ballads. Maybe that's why it did so well. 10 for me, it's a middle of the road thing that's not really my cup of tea.

Of all their albums, it would seem most ripe for such an endeavor. Although given their reluctance to puff up releases with demos or alternate versions, I wouldn't hold my breath for any kind of bumper 5 or 6 disk set.

I haven't decided on this as I haven't seen the cost, and I'm a much bigger Genesis fan than I am a Phil fan. But I will say I'm happy to see this *type* of thing emerge from the Genesis stable. It's not for everyone, it is a bit grubby, but if a five LP version of Trespass or Abacab with demos and shit ever came out? Gimme gimme gimme.

Drat. Maybe it just doesn't want to come home.

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Also, the pub in Scotland bedecked in Spanish flags was hilarious.

Nice thread about the time Phil bailed out Peter by stepping in to play drums at the last minute, apparently deserting a Genesis recording session in the process. Not a story I'd heard before

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But back to the UK, all (well, mostly) good news, Labour win, but now with added fiscal responsibility, Truss loses her seat, George Galloway loses his seat, possibly doing a "Truss" by being an MP for the shortest term ever. (I don't know if that's true, but it must be close.) Also, the SNP get shown the door, hopefully they'll take the hint.

Paisley gone too which is best of all imo.

Big win for labour.

I see the Russian bot farms getting their way with "stories" of Biden's supposed senility making their way into mainstream news outlets. It doesn't auger well. The country (US) is fucked because of the supreme court anyway, but it could always get worse and I think it would if Trump gets in. That he is even close is a major symptom of the aforementioned fuckedness.