Posts by thewatcher

I haven't decided on this as I haven't seen the cost, and I'm a much bigger Genesis fan than I am a Phil fan. But I will say I'm happy to see this *type* of thing emerge from the Genesis stable. It's not for everyone, it is a bit grubby, but if a five LP version of Trespass or Abacab with demos and shit ever came out? Gimme gimme gimme.

Drat. Maybe it just doesn't want to come home.

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Also, the pub in Scotland bedecked in Spanish flags was hilarious.

Nice thread about the time Phil bailed out Peter by stepping in to play drums at the last minute, apparently deserting a Genesis recording session in the process. Not a story I'd heard before

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

But back to the UK, all (well, mostly) good news, Labour win, but now with added fiscal responsibility, Truss loses her seat, George Galloway loses his seat, possibly doing a "Truss" by being an MP for the shortest term ever. (I don't know if that's true, but it must be close.) Also, the SNP get shown the door, hopefully they'll take the hint.

Paisley gone too which is best of all imo.

Big win for labour.

I see the Russian bot farms getting their way with "stories" of Biden's supposed senility making their way into mainstream news outlets. It doesn't auger well. The country (US) is fucked because of the supreme court anyway, but it could always get worse and I think it would if Trump gets in. That he is even close is a major symptom of the aforementioned fuckedness.

This bestselling author Don Winslow appears to be a fan of Phil.

External Content x.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Feels like floating.

External Content youtu.be

A last comment on Swift on this thread, as I'm aware at this stage if it were to continue it would need to be a separate discussion. But it does pertain to the "last gig" bit - I've read she has a surprise songs section. This is something I included several times in our games of pretending what set list Genesis would play on the last tour, particularly in relation to having a fixed video display/light show. I love the idea of a block where that rigidity is suspended and random songs can be wheeled out.

On topic: my last gig was Protomartyr in Somerville. I can't overstate how much I love those guys, particularly the front man, who's stage style has been called "anti charismatic" and lyrics blue collar beat poetry. He seems to be vehemently anti capitalist also, fwiw but means specific lines hit home for me. I've never paid much attention to a band's lyrics but with them, it's completely impossible not to because they are so good.

I read that his father died during a routine hernia operation a couple of years before the bands debut, and there's a line buried in a song 5 albums later that goes "plan the way you want to wait it out, as you are, a doctor killed my father, so excuse me if I ride this out alone..."

She got a five star review for her show in Dublin from the Irish Times. Think I'm going to have to borrow a couple of my daughter's CDs. Also, she's 34?! Just incredible.

Taylor Swift in the Aviva review: ‘You know this but nobody does it like you Dublin’
    The exhilarating and riveting three hour-plus concert in Dublin 4 thrillingly confirms the US singer as an artist who comes along just once in an era
    www.irishtimes.com

This was an early, massive favorite of mine and I still absolutely love it. Has that strange kind of wide angle aural lens almost unique to Genesis that they transferred successfully across genres as time went on. How I would have loved if they had dusted off a track like this live once in a while later in their career. 15.

I like that.

I thought this was going to be one of the more ridiculous AI generated articles when I saw the heading. "Top five songs" on an album with 9 songs 😆. However i think it reads like it was written by a human.

The Top 5 Songs on Genesis’ Self-Titled 1983 Album
    The debate over when Genesis “went pop” is a dubious one. The group’s transition from progressive rock band with a cult following to ubiquitous Top-40…
    americansongwriter.com

I never knew this about It's Gonna Get Better. Is this widely known? Is it true? I don't remember seeing it in the liner notes.

"The song begins with a woozy blend of four notes sampled from the cello part of an Aram Khachaturian suite."

It was an excellent gig, certainly very talented musicians. Quite a tinge of heavy prog in some tracks! I know Billy Corgan is a huge Floyd fan, I think he inducted them into the R&R Hall of Fame many years ago.

Really glad you enjoyed them. They are definitely a prog band, whatever that is (I remember a good discussion about how to define that elsewhere). Gossamer couldn't come from a band that isn't! Billy wears his influences on his sleeve - Black Sabbath, Bowie, The Cure, Joy Division, Floyd etc, and early on My Bloody Valentine. Can't wait to see them this summer.

Crazy story about a singer from the Four Tops going to hospital with chest pain and shortness of breath, on top of a history of serious cardiac problems, and instead of getting the proper treatment, he was put in a straitjacket because they thought he was crazy for saying he was in the Four Tops. Absolutely vile carry on. Wtaf is wrong with some people's brains, like why don't they function normally at all?

Four Tops Singer Sues Hospital for Profiling, Ordering Psych Eval
    When Alexander Morris said he was a member of legendary group the Four Tops, the hospital didn't believe him and took him off oxygen.
    www.thewrap.com