Posts by thewatcher

Will the full CD be available to download do you think?

I barely use Cds anymore as all my music on on my phone

Good question. Will it be on streaming services? 99% of my consumption is also on my phone these days but I will always get the physical copy when a favorite band has a release (and hopefully support them more in the process). In the last ten years that's mostly been vinyl, but here it'll surely be the cd set. I actually just got a separate cd/dvd drive as I had lost all ability to play disks for a while. I guess I'll use that and hook it up to an amp.

Btw awful shame about Looking for Someone as another poster pointed out above. Love that tune.

I really like 3SL, it was one of the earlier things I got when I was delving into their back catalog as a teen post WCD. I loved the big stage shot when you open the gatefold (I had it on vinyl), and not knowing the band that well *and* being pre-internet when you couldn't find everything out instantly, there was something very mysterious - and therefore magical - about the non-live 4th side. You Might Recall and Evidence of Autumn remain top favorites to this day. As for the live stuff, there was a definite bristling energy they had at that point and I'm a fan of the setlist. 3SL a great document of the time.

He did his usual takedown of PC and said he had to check he wasn't on the album before deciding to like it.

That's what it was, thanks. Pity he's such a dick. I vaguely remember some story about him and PC holidaying in the same Spanish village or town. Somehow a plan came about for them to play a couple of songs together in a local venue but PC showed up and NG did not. Hope I have that anecdote semi-correct.

Got myself a meta quest 2 VR headset when it was on sale a few weeks back, and finally fired it up last night.

Wow! It was my first time trying anything like this and it's pretty amazing. I clicked on video of a rollercoaster that's in Canada's wonderland or something. You have a totally immersive 360 degree experience where it goes up and up and up and then drops and goes flying around the track. It's not exactly the same as being on a rollercoaster but it's closer to that than, say for example, watching it on a regular TV. A lot of the same things were happening in my brain as happen on a rollercoaster and I found my body leaning to one side and another, my stomach dropping a little etc.

I watch a short bit of a Foo Fighters concert and hope they can make something like it for a Genesis concert if they have enough from the footage they already have.

I've missed the mark with prior technology advances like minidisc vs ipod, and then ipod vs streaming. But I can immediately see the appeal of VR and assume it will get better and better. I can imagine it replacing standard TV and maybe computers/gaming. Also, with how quickly chatGPT and other AI are becoming available and capable of producing high quality art and writing, I bet in a few years you'll be able to write your own scenes and have AI render them in 3D video.

I'm not into FGTR at all, but I suspect I should revisit it. Silent Sun is a nice little song. And I think there was an interview with maybe Noel Gallagher where he was going off on how brilliant one of the more obscure tracks was and saying "this shouldn't be good, it's Genesis!" or something.

Anyway, a 9 for Silent Sun.

It's a strange and unique release plan, if he sticks to the one-track-per-month-plan. For somebody like me, pretty old school, even stranger ... I prefer to have a single, then the complete album. Now it's all digital singles and an album at some point...

I've been thinking about this release strategy a lot lately because another of my favorite bands (Smashing Pumpkins) are smack in the middle of releasing a new 33-song album 1 track at a time. Their new songs come out weekly on a podcast, and at the end of the 33 weeks the whole album will be released. They also tried to do a one song/month release like Peter is doing back in 2009 or so, but that fell apart after 8 or 9 songs (the album was supposed to be 44 songs release over 44 months. Stupidly ambitious, or maybe just stupid).

At any rate, I guess me point is releasing albums piecemeal isn't totally unique. Robyn also released Body Parts in 3 EPs before the whole album came out if I recall correctly, though that's obviously different from one song at a time. Maybe there are other examples. FWIW, having been through the one/month experience with SP in 2009, it wasn't great. The gap between songs was too long. I'm really enjoying one/week because you get to enjoy each song in a way you mightn't with a full album release. Much the same as the way TV used to be, versus binging a new series on Netflix.

Suede (been thinking about this one a long while. Their lesser known songs and b-sides are of such uniformly high quality that I could choose any random set of them and be satisfied myself with it. Of these songs, I find 'Crackhead' notable because the singer was in the throes of a *really* bad crack addiction and it's the most primal howl against one's own addiction I know of - I'm sure there are others out there). My Dark Star is my favorite song (ever, by anyone).

Jubilee

My Dark Star

Read My Mind

The 2 of Us

Whipsnade

That Boy On The Stage

Crackhead

Poor Little Rich Girl

Leaving

Heroine

Shadow Self

Down

Have You Ever Been This Low?

Golden Gun

Killer

Implement Yeah!

It would be interesting to compare the ages of members with their choices. I can't bear Abacab (it was the first album I didn't buy). I am 62 and see Abacab as their moment as when Fish left Marillion. I was fine with Peter leaving, Steve hurt more, and then with Abacab they completely changed direction.

I'm 41 and Abacab is among my favorite 6, which share equal status for me (trespass, NC, trick, duke and cas are the other 5). If I had to rank them, Abacab would come second or third after trick and possibly cas.

Foxtrot, Selling England, Abacab.

The first two are what got me into Genesis, I absolutely adore the pastoral British sound mixed with some hard rocking and surrealism. But after recently giving Genesis's 80's output a listen, I became enthralled with Abacab and how it threw away with the "rules" of Genesis songs, the group even admitting such.

The theme of abstraction is perfectly conveyed through the nonsensical lyrics and jamming nature of some tracks. This aspect of it gives the album a timeless nature, with each new listen granting a new perspective.

This is a great description of Abacab.

My son has been signing "E-I-E-I-O" for days now, and eventually the "I-O" at the end had me imagining what it would be like if the title track to Peter's new album was Old Macdonald Had A Farm and it's hard to stop imagining his breathy vocals going "with a moo moo here, and a moo moo there, here a moo, there a moo, everywhere a moo moo" over a glitchy low-fi techno backing track.

The best songs sound like they were unearthed by the artist, as opposed to written. As if the song was a preformed gem that has always existed and just needed to be discovered by the author. Silent Running is one of those songs I think. Like In The Air Tonight, Turn It On Again, Mama.

Outstanding. You might say it's too portentous, but I think it captures perfectly a tense kind of terror of the same type Stephen King captured in books like Firestarter. A type of fear unique to childhood. At least I remember it made me feel uneasy as a kid. Brilliant song. Wish they had done a lot more work like that.

Sorry I got a jump on it but it's 1.14am Jan 1st 2023 where I am, so HAPPY NEW YEAR all!!! Christian feel free to add a Genesis themed happy new year image if you have one.

I hope it is a peaceful, healthy and happy one for you all.

Btw how would you write the date? 1/1? Or 1/1? Or Jan 1? Or first of Jan?

What did you have for Christmas dinner?

Roasted chicken, roast parsnips, potatoes and carrots, pigs in blankets, pork stuffing, chopped sprouts fried with chestnuts, white wine. Then christmas pudding with brandy cream and a glass of port.

You had me until the white wine! Has to be red for me. The rest sounds divine.

I had potatoes dauphinois, stuffing, marrowfat peas, roast brussel sprouts, veggie roast, cranberry sauce and gravy. Sadly, as I was working, I had a kombucha as it was the only non-alcoholic drink other than water. Mince pie with brandy butter, and a Nanaimo square for dessert. I ate far too much.

I also ate an excessive amount of peas on Dec 26th and 27th as there were tons left and I love them. But that volume leads to a certain discomfort.