Posts by thewatcher

I am *so* happy it worked out the way it did. I'm going on Tuesday, and can't wait. I'm squinting at my phone to avoid reading your full post on the off-chance there's a spoiler but will be back with more post-gig!!

And please keep it going, the more absurd the better. How about a digitally-recreated John Mayhew joining Phillips, Banks, Rutherford and PG for a Trespass showcase gig?

Did Mayhew play much live with them though? I'd go with digitally recreating Phil if he played the material live more. May seem a bit insensitive since the bloke's still alive but he can't drum so I think it's excusable.

Sadly I think a definitive line has been drawn under Genesis. For so many years they said "never say never" but I think that's really behind us after the last tour. The various members will keep doing their own thing for a few years yet, and I would go out of my way to attend if, for example, Steve got Ray to sing with him. Won't be Genesis though.

That said, I see where you're coming from. Apart from Phil, they are able bodied, so why not, when other bands seem to keep going until their great great grandchildren can attend their gigs? Tony and Mike *could* play together in some Genesis-y form. They're not going to though.

Nice article about Genesis around the time of NC being released. I never really knew they were a four piece for so long before Steve joined, and the different configurations they had in that time sound interesting (keeping Ant's amp in place on stage but plugging Tony's piano into it, Barnard covering of course, and most interestingly a friend of Phil's playing one single gig with them. Wonder if there's any recordings).

https://www.loudersound.com/fe…genesis-and-nursery-cryme

Maybe he's finally persuaded his band to play Supper's Ready as he tried to in 07!

😲

I never knew that! Would have been interesting timing with Genesis out on the road then too.

Looking forward to US dates being announced. I've never seen him live. Would hope for a couple of tracks off IV and UP. San Jacinto, Wallflower, Growing Up, I Grieve etc.

Physical sales are probably not the solution but many bands use platforms like nug nets offer live shows for both download and subscription streaming services. Many bands do it and maybe the numbers can be profitable?

It's been talked about to death on this forum and I can only claim ignorance as to the economics of these things. I agree with you - many bands seem to be able to find a way to relay "the vault" to the more hardcore fans, be it ludicrous box sets or subscription services. As far as I understand it for Genesis, they simply don't and never have wanted this. As the material is theirs, I have no problem with it beyond my own pining to hear more.

If someone else now owns the material I suppose there's a chance they'll see some opportunity to fleece us, and if they do I'll likely be the first fleecee. But I'm not holding my as-yet-unfleeced breath.

Tbh the rehearsal Living Forever that showed up here a few weeks ago is as good or better than what I'd hope for from an archival release.

Dire Straits/Supertramp shuffle #2

Telegraph Road (DS)

What. A. Tune. An all time great.

Last few songs from a random playlist my streaming service (EDIT: of songs I own) generated:

The Pierces - You'll Be Mine

Guster - It Is Just What It Is

Simple Minds - Hypnotised

La Roux - Let Me Down Gently

Anya Marina - Whatever You Like

Astrid S - 2AM

Suede - What Are You Not Telling Me?

Genesis - The Brazilian

Anya Marina - Believe Me I Believe

Trailer Trash Tracys - Candy Girl

Smashing Pumpkins - Drum + Fife

UH HUH HER - I See Red

Genesis - Feeding The Fire

Lykke Li - No Rest For The Wicked

M83 - Couleurs

Austra - What We Done?

Hahaha - ironically given Radiohead got their name from a Talking Heads song.

I didn't know that actually. I really need to listen to more of both these bands. Although I had the funny experience today of being at a kiddy carnival where my two year old was jumping around in a bouncy castle to some upbeat dance track, and then inexplicably a really dirgey Radiohead or Thom Yorke solo song came on with ominous atonal chords and doomy lyrics 😆.

Tangentially related to Roger Waters, I keep seeing reviews of a tour Nick Mason is doing called Saucerful of Secrets, focusing only on pre-DSOTM pink Floyd. They get really stellar reviews and I am bummed I didn't see them in Boston. They play Atom Heart, Echoes and lots of other cool early Floyd songs. Hope they come by again.

The UN and the climate science folk are getting more strident about how catastrophically wrong things will go if we don't stop fucking around.

Anyone think the political folk will actually stop fucking around, and if so who do you think will be the ones to do it in the UK or US? Do you think people will vote for them, or does most of the populace at heart not really believe in the worst case scenarios? If not, do you think those people think that even if the worst happens, it won't affect them directly? Or do they think we will inevitably come up with some technology based solution because everything somehow works out in the end anyway?

They certainly worked on the basis of starting with a blank page in the studio so it was generally collaborative music-wise while yes, as you say, I think one of them would write the lyrics. But we do hear about occasional group-credited ones where one of them was the prime mover - eg I've often heard that Duchess, Keep It Dark and The Brazilian were largely Banks (probably unsurprisingly for Brazilian). So for all I know MR mainly wrote the LoC music, it's just that I've always only heard he did the words.

This makes sense to me. I'm sure given their individual strengths that over the course of 5 or 6 albums across a decade, there were some instances (like the ones you pointed out) where one of them would have a strong musical idea that would drive a song.

The more I think about it, their workflow of most songs coming from group jams must be relatively unique among hugely successful bands?

I thought they all wrote the music for each track, then individually wrote the lyrics. I got this impression mostly from Mike's comments about Dreaming While You Sleep, where they had written then song and Tony wanted to write the lyrics but Mike made the case for himself because he had a good idea and he ended up doing it.

Anyway, I like Land of Confusion. It's relatively straight for a Genesis song, it rocks, and it's held up well over time.

Talking Radioheads

Ok, I made a mistake, I saw Genesis in December. Still... It's getting ridiculous now, because it turns out Foals are playing in December in Boston!!! soooo..... Looks like I'll get all 4 in just about 12 months.