Posts by thewatcher

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It's good, helped by it being musicians talking to musicians but they don't let it go full muso. As you'd have heard there's a Rutherford one too, also Curt Smith.

Guy Pratt can be an interruptor at times but he's OK and I really like Gary Kemp, and their love and respect for Genesis comes across clearly.

Glad to have spread the word, happy listening.

Billy Corgan and Nick mason on there too! Thanks for the tip. These sound really interesting.

pawciob1 Love your enthusiasm, but you're wasting your breath. They're not going to change the setlist because some random guy on a message board asked them pretty please.

Personally, I'd love to hear a lot of the same songs that you do, but the chances of it happening are absolutely zero.

I agree, it ain't gonna happen. If they didn't pull some trick out of the bag in Rome, they never will. And having seen them in Boston, I *kind* of understand why. Sections of the crowd lose interest during long bits they don't know. I like to think if I was the artist, it would drive me insane to play the same thing night after night. I've expounded at tedious length on how I'd envision Genesis mixing it up (such as trading like for like; if some folks in the crowd lose focus during cinema show, they're not likely to care if watcher of the skies for example was played in place of Cinema show). But they don't do this ever.

The only hope for ever dusting off ancient, rarely or never played material, would have been a dedicated forum separate from the tour, such as a smaller scale fanclub gig or two. This is also something they don't do.

Fwiw, I was beyond thrilled with the gig I saw. Despite all the cribbing ahead of time about how static the tour setlists are, I loved every second of the show and wouldn't change a thing. If I had a chance to see a second show and there was a swap out, it would be amazing but I think we've got what we have and it's brilliant.

Tame Impala, I know little other than the name. But came across this longish tune, Let It Happen, which I love. Especially the glitchy bit where it sounds like the file is broken:

External Content music.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

A ballsy cover. I love the lyrics, "you are drunk and I am tired..."

Just finished Cobra Kai season 4.

12/10. It is ridiculously good. Once in a blue moon a show comes along that has narcotic properties, and this is 100% one. It's not like I was even a fan of the movies in the 80s but how they mined that material to generate this show is truly breathtaking.

I knew I would be back here. I woke up this morning to the news that this man had died and wrote my earlier, heartfelt tribute on the train on the way to work. At random times during the day, my eyes welled up. I had the same lyrics popping into my head all day long and I'm not sure why:

"she used her body just like a bandage

She used my body just like a wound...

I'll never know why she disappeared,

And I can see her rising up out of the back seat now, just like an angel rising up from a tomb"

I'm young enough to have somehow escaped losing any of the major figures of my youth. Until now. I love listening to music, reading books, and watching TV and movies. There is only a small handful, 7 or 8, musicians, authors, actors or directors whose death could really upset me. This was one.

Meatloaf's music was deeply uncool and I was a deeply uncool kid, and it spoke to me (a lot like Genesis!). Bat out of hell 2 was a seminal, massive album for me as a person. I look at the comments in the guardian on his obituary and see phenomenal stories of what a kind, generous man he was. The anecdote where a support band failed to show so he went out early and played for four hours. The venue medic who said he was the only artist who went back there to thank them.

The best insights of all were from him of course. That rock and roll is a joke, so laugh at him. That being a celebrity is bullshit and not his style at all. That he saw himself more like a plumber who had a job to do and wanted to do it well.

Unsurprisingly I listened to a lot of his music tonight. I've never felt big tears rolling down my face as an adult but I'm not afraid to say I did tonight. A big piece of my childhood died today.

He was a very loud, cartoonish, down to earth gem. His discography is littered with treasures much beyond the radio ballads and bombastic rock.

Sorry for coming back for a second bite at the cherry here. The emotion is closer to what it feels like when a loved pet dies than when a random famous person dies. Legitimate grief. Whatever afterlife there is got a whole lot louder today in the best way possible. Rip meatloaf.

RIP meat loaf. One of the true greats and one of the good guys. I was obsessed for quite a while and still love most of his music. Especially the synth heavy mid-80s material that was more atmospheric. I saw him around 96 or so, and it was an incredible performance. He put his all into every moment of every show. There was little pretence about him in person unlike 99% of big stars. I'm sad at the thought that he's no longer here. Rock on, big man.

I like Queen of Darkness, he was clearly making a concerted effort to push the boundaries a little, and the female vocalist was good I thought. She would have worked maybe a lot better than the weak enough guys he had on other tracks.

Island in the Darkness was good too, he put a legit guitar solo in! Go Tony!

Other than those two, I like a few tracks from the Fugitive, they have an out of focus wistful atmosphere. And I like A Piece of You. It vibes Twin Peaks which I love.

Quite enjoyed that, thanks. It's a song I'm very partial to, and an example of one I really wish they'd thrown in live once or twice.

I was curious what the picture on the video is that looks like the IT cover but it's a solid brown hand over an old picture of people.

I have to say, I'm not a connoisseur of The Waiting Room live, as in I don't know of the different jams but I'm excited to listen to a few now. Can't agree more with Backdrifter here, they are so talented it would have been a thrill if they had experimented a bit more with their ample toolbox.

I have a big soft spot for No Reply At All. Don't know why. I think a big part is the emotion Phil puts into the vocal in the little break. As an aside, I'm sure a neutral observer would point out that a song like No Reply At All is a remarkably deep use of their toolbox coming from a background of Watcher of the Skies and Firth of Fifth etc. I meant live experimentation.

That beats the '5 ands' thing. In case anyone doesn't know that one it's where you legitimately have 'and' 5 times in a row. Imagine two guys hanging letters outside a pub The Duck and Aardvark. One is up on the ladder spacing out the letters, the other stands back to check the spacing and says "We need more space between Duck and and and and and Aardvark".

The buffalo thing revealed to me the "bully" meaning, I hadn't known that.

yes, that was news to me too. Definitely haven't heard it used in speech.