Posts by thewatcher

Ok, I'll have ONE go at trying to reply because your comment is out of line, uncalled for and bordering on personal. I dare you to find one post of mine in which I said the show will be terrible. I said, on various occasions, I'm not interested, I explained why, I also expressed the wish for everybody to enjoy it and I was being sincere, I also said that I'm happy they are out there, what I think about it takes second place. Is it peddling? No more than other people reiterating, on various occasions that it will be great no matter what, I read those comments, I don't agree with them and some repeat this a lot but I don't feel the need to call people delusional or acritical. Hate to think I might be bursting somebody's bubble here, because when I like something I really do not care what others might think. Am I being reiterative? Perhaps but I dare you to find a single member here who hasn't expressed the same opinion more than once, over the years. This is a forum, we are having a debate, you might not like some opinions, the same goes for me, either debate politely, or ignore them as I do and I do so often. You are more than welcome to reply, if you do, I'd appreciate you debate the merits of what I'm saying and refrain from snarky, personal comments. I could easily tell you where to go, your comment definitely warrants it, I always choose not to do that over the internet, a bit too easy for my taste. Be respectful and polite, if not I'll be more than happy to spare you the tedium of my posts.

Bordering on personal? Read my post again FFS. Maybe sit down and take a few big breaths first.

I expect more people to go obviously but I feel that's probably the demographic being targeted and understandably the more enthusiastic about it.

I've seen other demographics on here expressing a lot of enthusiasm. I haven't seen anyone not acknowledge what the known issues with their age and Phil's voice are. I see a tiny group of mostly one on here relentlessly peddling the doom laden message that the show will be terrible and never missing an opportunity to express it either directly or worse, indirectly such as in the above quoted internet belch.

I have a friend who shares your cousin's fate. Rona is the woman who was the match maker for my ex and me 12 years ago, we stayed friends, later on she became close friends with my mother too - she is only in her 50s and has been diagnosed with some kind of cancer that leaves her only a few years at best. Right now she is traveling with her husband, working through her bucket list and making the most of her leftover time. It was a huge shock for all of us when we learned about it. Meanwhile we're joking about it, it just feels better to treat such bad news with humour; but I know once she is going to leave for real it will be another shock. One of the good sides of something like this is it brings people back together: she and my ex had always been best friends but they had grown apart in the last couple years, now they renewed their friendship. I had to think of the song 'The Living Years'.

Btw we had a section for topics like this in the old forum, "Hand in Hand", it was only visible when you were logged in. Maybe Christian might put sth like this here too.

Very sorry to hear about your friend. It sounds like she is making the most of her time.

As regards songs that come to mind when events like this encroach, I always think of Keep Me In Your Heart by Warren Zevon. It is the last song on his last album. He was dying of mesothelioma at the time and the words are very much those of a man with very little time left. They often bring a tear to my eye. The video has his friends like Bruce Springsteen coming into the studio to hang out and say goodbye.

I'm very sorry to hear that, it sounds like a terrible tragedy and understandably shocking. It really does put the trivial stuff we get worked up about on a daily basis in perspective. It's impossible to understand how such dreadful misfortune can befall some people, there is no rhyme or reason to it. Accidents of biology that seem so cruel but are really just random and devastating. My own father had a heart attack when he was 38 - fortunately he survived - but I am older than that now! Every now and then I wonder if I am close to a disaster and what would happen. I remember when my uncle - a larger than life, hale and hearty guy in his 50s with five kids - died after a brief illness years ago how unreal it felt. The priest said something during the service to the extended family that resonated with me and that pops into my mind from time to time, something to the effect that it was impossible for us to imagine the story of our lives continuing to be told without him present, but that it would be so regardless. It rang true at the time.

I work in healthcare and am frequently astonished at the resilience of people who deal with the most awful personal difficulties and tragedies. I cannot imagine the pain and anguish of your relative receiving this news and knowing he has limited time left with his kids. My sympathies are with you and your family.

I don't think there's any professional video footage of it, at least not that I'm aware of. I've heard some fairly decent audio of complete shows but can't recall which ones off the top of my head - I'll check later but they're probably fairly easily found.

There are no soundboard or FM recordings from that leg of the tour (if that's what you were hoping for), but there is an audience recording from the Marquee Club in London, 27 Sept. 1982 which I have seen time and time again referred to as the best recording available from that tour.

Thank you both, yes I meant audio but I guess any quality recording audio or video would be nice. I used to download lots of bootlegs by torrent but haven't done that in years and don't remember downloading specific shows/tours. Is it known there are no soundboard recordings of this tour, or just that they haven't been released/discovered? At any rate thanks for the info. Will check out the marquee club one to begin with.

Interesting exchanges above. I'm keeping an open mind. I've never seen a classic lineup, only the CAS tour and I'm really, really looking forward to the show. Everyone knows the deal with Phil but the guys are professionals and well drilled at this stage. They'll have figured out what works and what doesn't. I think it's gonna be great. And if they tweak the voicing on a song - the end of Man On The Corner, for example - who cares? I'm likely going to think it's different, not worse. (Worse would be leaving the thing unchanged and trying to achieve the unachievable).

Liquid Len and Backdrifter - sounds like you guys have phenomenal evenings planned! Hope you enjoy them tremendously. I plumped for some sort of VIP ticket myself but not the top of the range dinner, front row deal as my credit card was starting to smolder. I think somewhere in the front twenty rows. Very strongly considering going to Boston 2 too, a regular ticket.

Also hot!! In what was well up there in a long, storied career of making shite decisions, I - a very irregular participant in regular exercise - went for a run last night. It was boiling hot and muggier than an Alabama marsh in August. I had to stop on multiple occasions and drink deeply from a public water fountain. I felt faint on the part limp, part jog home. I believe I shed 60% of my body weight in fluid and had a blood pH comparable to a strong potassium hydroxide solution, balanced only by the suicidally high levels of lactic acid in my system. I think I'll wait until it's -20C outside before I try again.

On the plus side, I'm coming to believe that if humans can inhabit New England, surely we can figure out how to live on Mars.

I thought Nic said they were rehearsing Abacab at one point? Even if I am recalling that correctly it dosen’t necessarily mean that Abacab made it into the final show. One thing to keep in mind tho is that while it’s been 35 years since they played abacab, that was only 2 tours ago for this lineup of Genesis (3 if you include CAS). And of all the “long dead” songs, Genesis could revive Abacab is pretty likely because it was a hit (peaking at #9 in the UK & #26 in the US)

I'd be surprised if it doesn't appear (and I hope it does, I love it). They have to bring something different to the table than 2007 and I see it as low hanging fruit to some extent. If they do play it, it will be a little sad to see Phil sit out the instrumental part. I guess this will be true of lots of their songs.

Here's where I do my usual thing of crowing about the fact I was at the 2nd Lyceum gig, the 7 May one filmed by the BBC. And very proud to have played my tiny role in this bit of Genesis gig history.

That must have been incredible. What are your standout memories of the gig?

Vindaloo night. Yes, where I worship at the temple of heat, redeeming my soul one scoville unit at a time. Chicken and potatoes in fiery sauce, a small side of mild, creamy vegetable curry to counteract the heat, and a big wad of warm garlic bread. Washed down with a growler of local IPA, brewed a block down the road and poured from the tap today.

Yes, it's salty and indulgent. Yes, it's delicious. Reward for the week.

(They say there are some health benefits to eating spicy food regularly. Not sure how strong the evidence is, but as I feel like I'm dialyzing toxins through my skin courtesy of how hot the food is, I wouldn't be surprised).

What would you consider the absolute peak of Genesis, artistically speaking? Thinking in terms of songwriting, but also powerhouse live performances. Recently listening to Duke and watching some of the concerts from the Duke tour, I would say the spring of 1980 was their zenith. Your thoughts?

I can't be as specific as you but I agree performance wise I think 80-83 they were at the peak of their powers. Composition wise I think they had different peaks and troughs. 77-78 was a bit of a low point, 74-76 and 80-81 were high points. So to combine performance and composition I do think the Duke and Abacab albums and tours were it.

Well, remember that at the time the band's records credited everything to simply "Genesis." And there seems to have been a certain unconcern as to how accurate that really was. Consider, for example, that "Twilight Alehouse" was originally credited to "Genesis" (when the band included Phil & Steve) on the original single, and only received its correct credit (Peter, Tony, Ant & Mike) on ARCHIVE 1967-75 many years later. Also consider that the same recording of "Silent Sun" was technically credited to a slightly different Genesis when it was released as a single (when Genesis included Chris Stewart) than it was when released on FGTR (when Genesis included John Silver). And so on.

Sounds about right, thanks. I haven't looked at the sleeve recently but my memory was that songs were credited to Banks/Collins/Gabriel/Hackett/Rutherford as opposed to 'Genesis' but I may have been wrong.

HOT! It's really hot here. It's 28 degrees outside right now, that's about 83 Fahrenheit, and it's going all the way up to 31 later, about 88 degrees Fahrenheit. It's very still and the birds are busting a lung out there. It's AC time. And once again we've got those beautiful blue skies and golden sunshine all along the way.

Everyone! Have a great day!