Posts by thewatcher

Good Q.

Probably

Firth of Fifth

Home By The Sea

You Might Recall

Feeding the Fire

Calling All Stations

Looking for Someone, Tonight Tonight Tonight and One For the Vine would always be on the list too though, so it's probably a consistent 8 for me. Then it starts to get murky... Down and Out, Heathaze and a couple selections from the Lamb (Carpet Crawl, Chamber of 32 Doors, Lamia) would be jostling against each other, along with Musical Box, Seven Stones, Eleventh Earl of Mar etc to round out a top 10.

It's hardly a strange thing to mention he was in Genesis no matter how long the interval? If Paul McCartney releases something, he's always going to be the "ex-Beatle". I don't see how it is in any way controversial, or that it diminishes the current release in any way.

Wallflower, San Jacinto and Family and the Fishing Net.

Wallflower is an all time favorite song of mine. I've previously described how music and a completely unrelated book/movie/TV show will fuse if I happen to be listening/reading/watching them concurrently. This happened with Wallflower and, of all things, the book Ulysses, particularly the last two chapters.

I've listened to the bright side through, then the dark side, and on these first casual couple of listens I couldn't point to a single difference I noticed. Maybe the dark side Four horses version is a little more orchestral and less techno-y than the bright side mix?? I could be way off with that though.

Have started listening, having heard about half the monthly release songs once each in the course of that process. So it's all very new to me.

Favorite by far is Four Kinds of Horses.

Second by far is The Court.

Third is probably And Still. I like the first half of Live and Let Live. Panopticom is a good bit stronger than I remember and a good opener.

It's a much more varied album than Up, which I found to be an immediately immersive kind of experience and which I prefer to I/O by some distance so far - but it's really not a fair comparison until I've heard I/O a few more times and it's had a chance to bed in!

The blurb writer must have been exhausted by the time he/she/they got through all the albums! "Underrated", "quirky", "powerful"... Poor old CAS is relegated to simply "their 1997 release".

On another note, I skipped to page 2 of burning shed's Genesis releases and noticed the below. John Lennon again! What's this one about? I'm piqued because it precedes Hogweed. Did the nasty vine try to attack the Beatle?

Although it's not my favorite of their opening songs, I think Behind The Lines is the best opening song for launching the album and leading into what's to follow. Next would be DoaV, Watcher and then Eleventh Earl of Mar.

Bloody hell they had great opening songs though. Only one I don't absolutely love is IT.

Ah dear. Poor old Shane MacGowan has died. As an Irish expatriate, the Pogues' Christmas song and the lines about "the boys of the NYPD choir... singing Galway Bay" have always reminded me of childhood Christmases and would make me feel a sense of missingness at that time of year. That feeling will be deeply accentuated this year. Seems a lot to have had him and Sinead O'Connor die the same year. Though it's something of a miracle Shane hung in as long as he did!

Also Kissinger, the old cunt, is dead and gone. Good riddance.

This is about the only Genesis track I actively dislike. There are a couple of others I'm lukewarm on, but not many and I still prefer those to most songs ever. Not this. To me, it's like a satire of the worst, most over bloated bits of what people think of when they think of "prog". I can't abide it. I'll revisit it again no doubt and rediscover some tiny bit that's not bad (the music in the lines before he starts snarling "picnic" in that weird affected way, maybe?), but that'll be completely swamped by the morass of clunky words and even clunkier music that can't get out of its own way. I think my opinion of it is out of step with most others and the album is universally acclaimed as one of their best but BoEF torpedoes it for me. 2, for now.

Fiery, molten vindaloo night. So looking forward to it. And I've just discovered beer from some German brewery that is phenomenal. First time I've tried a new beer (new to me; the beer has been made since the 14th century apparently) that I've thought was really delicious. The brewery is called Schlenkerla, they're in Bavaria. I had a lager and a rauchbier. Might be some new favorites.

I likely posted this cover somewhere else at some point in the last five years, but I really like it. It's the cover of Relatives in Descent by Protomartyr, one of my favorite albums by one of my favorite bands. The woman was an American actress born in the late 19th century, apparently. There's something direct and unsettling about it, that matches the music well.