Posts by thewatcher

Why are you complaining about this? As I said, Genesis have never been that kind of band. They've been around for fifty years and you want them to be who? Suede?

As for I Can't Dance, it's just a bit of fun that they're having on stage, that's all. It was Roger Waters who bemoaned "that stupid walk" but quite what his idea of fun is, god only knows. David Gilmour estimated that Waters laughed about "once a year" when he was in The Floyd. It's probably less than that now!

Did my other post appear angry? Sorry about that.

My fanclub suggestion wasn't a complaint... It was a suggestion. I don't want them to be a different band. I'm spitballing on a fan forum about different ways a band can entertain it's fans. What relevance does their longevity have? They've always had a small group of hardcore fans and a huge group of much less familiar fans. It's very hard to please both groups in one big stadium or arena show. My suggestion was a way to target both.

They actually did something like that in 1980 if i recall correctly. A smaller venue tour where they played maybe one for the vine and other deeper cuts (I'm open to correction). So maybe they have and can be 'that kind of band'.

I didn't know Roger waters shared my view of the I can't dance routine. To reiterate, its an ok song. I'd just rather they played an extra song instead of extending it unjustifiably to 7-10 mins. Same with throwing it all away.

I'm a dedicated fan and I love I Can't Dance.

You talk about "conservative" set lists as thought it's something new for Genesis. Go and check your history; you'll find that Genesis set lists have never varied that much over the years.

Yes. That's exactly what I just said. They don't vary their setlists.

How the hell did you post such an angry sounding response when you said the same thing I did???

The only beef I can identify in your post is that you like I can't dance. It's actually a fine tune. But in the live sets it takes ten minutes of that stupid walk back and forth the stage. Not for me.

I'm sure we all have a fantasy set list but they became pretty conservative about sets. It remains to be seen whether vocal and drumming issues lead to a different kind of set. Even so I think the first three on your list are beyond unlikely. I'd love to see them do KID but IA would be most unwelcome!

I'd be fine with RW guesting on one or two CAS but it's extremely unlikely and even less that Collins would do any.

I agree about the conservative bit. They play the same set every night. I'd settle (actually be very happy) for mixing it up. Say 2/3 staples that they "have" to play (like turn it on again or no son of mine) and 1/3 rotating songs. Their catalog is *so* deep and vastly underutilized live they could fill that 1/3 of a set with. They've got deep cuts like counting out time, very old songs like white mountain and b sides. None of these things ever see the light of day apart from thirty seconds of a blasted medley.

God forbid - and this is a way radical suggestion - they could do a couple of fanclub shows (I think suede did these in the 90s and I'm sure tons of other bands). Smaller venue, dedicated fans... Not an 'i can't dance' walk in sight.

Have so much to say. First and foremost: I *wish* this band would grab the bull by the horns and embrace their heritage. They could walk out on stage to the thunderous chords from the start of Watcher of the sky and play the song all the way through and be proud of it but they never would (I think). They have always seemed to shy away and apologize for what they are. They play it safe every time, and the opportunities for doing otherwise are dwindling rapidly.

What I don't need to see from Genesis, now or ever:

A big blob of two minute snippets of classic songs

A big blob of snippets of other artists songs

Ten minutes of call and response in Throwing it all away (zee-za-daaaayy-ehay)

Tonight tonight cut in half

Mike Rutherford doing the we cant dance walk

They should play heathaze. It's phenomenal. They should play chamber of 32 doors. They should play the knife. They should play the duke suite. They should play the dividing line. Or feeding the fire. Or blood on the rooftops. This band is so much more than what they have presented themselves over the past thirty years but I'm certain they'll revert to type for this tour and play mostly the same thing which is fine for home by the sea or Domino but lame for the hits like follow you or invisible touch. I hope they will be brave.