Posts by MoonlitKnight

All very confusing. I don’t know what to make of all of this. As an old friend of mine used to say “Cats are sleeping with dogs!” Judging by the release date clearly this particular CD set is linked to the US leg of the tour. But I seriously doubt this compilation reflects the setlist for the tour. I can’t imagine the actual setlist has that many songs. I suppose as others have suggested it’s possible the setlists will differ between UK/Ireland and North America, although, nothing I’ve read or heard in interviews suggests that to be the case. The upside to all of this is that it adds mystery back into the whole issue of what the setlist might be.

Yup, I remember it well. Truth be told, I wasn't keen on the "lounge lizard" version of Dancing Out. It was really slow and none of the high bits were sung by Phil at the time.

Listening to the one time Phil sang DWTMK in its entirety (Chicago 1978) you can hear him struggle with the high notes. I’ve always figured after that those parts of the song were off limits from Phil’s perspective.

On the US leg of the Duke Tour, rather than leading into Carpet Crawlers SEBTP led directly into Squonk.

Hard to know what the intention is of announcing that this collection represents the majority of the songs they'll play. Trying to drum up interest for the remaining unsold tickets? Seems like a funny strategy. Also, did they unintentional troll the fans trying to avoid this information?!

I think you’re on to something. Interesting that Amazon in the US lists November 19th as the release date. Clearly the different release dates coincide with the different legs of the tour.

Yeah it'll be the same PR going to all media I suppose. Either someone's overstepping the mark saying this, or literally just over half those 27 songs will comprise the setlist. Which would mean, there's your source material - get sequencing, everyone!

I suppose so. Most of the songs on the CD set were slam dunks all along to be played on this tour. Bummer that Squonk is not on the CD, but I’m still holding out hope. One of the teaser vids of the band rehearsing features an image behind the band that sure looks like Squonk. As for Apocalypse in 9/8 I’ve pretty much given up hope. Given his comments in an interview Nic Collins finds it too challenging to play, unlike drummers for dozens of cover bands (sarcasm intended).

I agree. Upon actually reading the Amazon post, it's a greatest hits album. I misread it as a live release.

Lol we are headed in opposite directions in our interpretation. I just edited my initial comment to underscore my displeasure with the band publicizing that most of the songs in the collection will be played on the tour. I’ve read basically the same press release on multiple sites stating that is the case.

Well, every single Genesis song written before the year 2000 qualifies as dated. But isn't that the exact reason to go to a Genesis concert? To see and hear and enjoy all the nostalgia. Personally, I do not need any modernization in how they present the songs since they are not touring every year so I would need any refreshments. I would not even mind if they play the same setlist as in 2007.

Only change accepted would be In Too Deep for Hold On My Heart. ;)

Ugh. If they play In Too Deep I’m headed to the bathroom lol.

I just listened again to part of Nic Collins’ interview from March of this year. Sounds like Duchess and Mama are sure things, and likely Firth of Fifth. He really emphasized that Apocalypse in 9/8 and Los Endos were the hardest pieces to try to learn and play, leading me to believe now (contrary to my previous comment) that Apocalypse probably didn’t make the final setlist. He also mentioned SHBTS as being difficult. Interestingly he also talked about music from 1971, but didn’t get specific. Maybe he was just throwing a random year out as a sort of generic reference to older material. Given the state of Phil’s voice I have a hard time believing that the Musical Box is in the set (of course I would have thought that about Mama as well).

Probably quite true. As an uber mega Genesis fan (I actually study all the parts), even I got slightly bored watching, for example, my 5th SEBTP tour concert from TMB. They are also officially licensed by Genesis, i.e., I'm guessing that they need to pay them some pretty significant royalties to use their slides and other props. Maybe all of this is contributing (in addition to boredom - I know I would be) to the change-up that they're exploring in the current tour. The downside is that they sort of lose their raison d'être by doing so - people associate TMB with an exact replica of an old Genesis show. Doing a "best of" detracts from that. There are pros and cons of course. Take care, Andre.

In addition to seeing Genesis this November I’ve got tickets for both The Genesis Show and The Musical Box this fall. To be perfectly honest at this point I’m much more excited about seeing Genesis and TGS. Hopefully mixing up their setlist will reignite my love for TMB.

Did he say which ones? Because apart from Illegal Alien I can't think of any, other than the obvious production of the time.

No, but my take on it was he was talking more about some of the 70s prog stuff. BTW re: Illegal Alien I stumbled across a review yesterday from the New York Times of the Mama tour. Interestingly the reviewer mentioned Illegal Alien as a highlight of the show. He also liked Mama, That’s All, and Home by the Sea. Funny thing he never mentioned a single title for any of the older stuff they played that night, simply complimenting Phil for using banter to lighten up the heaviness of the band’s “art rock” songs. I honestly got the impression that the guy’s knowledge of the band’s music began with Abacab.

That is a shame, because it needn't be the case. I mentioned in the Crimson thread, Fripp's rule for the recent years of touring is all the music is new regardless of when it was written. They come to all the songs, including ones from the first album, completely fresh. Having seen a number of their gigs these last few years I can say the approach pays off. Very early stuff I was never keen on has at times been stunning. OK they're a different sort of band and I'm not an advocate of that "these bands do this, why can't this band do it too" way of thinking. But I don't think it'd be unreasonable for Genesis to take a similar approach to revisiting parts of their work without sacrificing some crowd-pleasing hits.

Of course there's also the possibility there are some songs they're so out of love with they have no interest in doing anything with them.

Funny thing is In the Cage might fit that description (too dated) if they hadn’t played it on virtually every tour since 1978. On the comparison with King Crimson, the only “out” I guess one can give Genesis is that they hit a level of pop stardom in the 80s well beyond any sort of commercial success achieved by KC. I get it that for Genesis there is a certain core list of songs that meet the dual criteria of being band favorites and fan favorites. Fortunately that list extends beyond songs like Invisible Touch to include less commercial songs (HBTS/SHBTS; Domino; Carpet Crawlers; Los Endos). Still throwing a few more crumbs to those of us who harken back to the prog era would be nice.

Ok . . . Interesting nugget in the interview regarding the acoustic set. Also that they are gonna play a couple of songs they haven’t played since the 1980s. I’m thinking Abacab for sure. Maybe Squonk and hopefully Apocalypse in 9/8. Kind of a bummer that Daryl made a point of saying certain songs are off limits because they sound so dated, but it is what it is.

Speaking as someone who was in a Genesis Tribute band (that's me on the double neck, 12-string and bass in the above posted video of the Genesis Show), it's hard to pick a "best" tribute band and in fact, I would avoid doing so. If you want to relive EXACTLY what Genesis produced in the early '70s, then it's hard to beat the Musical Box. But I view them almost as a Broadway show (I don't mean this disparagingly) in that everything is exactly the same, night after night after night. They literally reproduce (or used to anyway) ONE show in a given tour. The other band names mentioned are much more "live" and "loose", if that makes any sense, definitely the way Genesis were back in the day, IMHO. So a mix of both types is really cool; I hope you encourage all these bands as they pour their soul and sweat in reproducing very complex music. Cheers.

I agree 100% about the Musical Box. Given the fact that most of the time they are either doing the LLDOB tour or SEBTP tour I’ve wondered how the band doesn’t get bored out of its skull playing the same music note for note and telling the same Gabriel-era stories word for word for nearly 30 years. To their credit they are mixing things up on their current tour, with the first half of the show being stuff from ATOTT thru ATTWT and the second half being Gabriel-era material. That decision to mix things up may be a product of financial necessity. The last couple of times I saw them doing the SEBTP tour (this was prior to Covid) the theater was maybe 2/3 full. Prior to that every show I saw them perform was sold out.

Just gave it a spin as I haven't in a while, and enjoyed it even more than I remember. Captures the feeling known as "wistful" perfectly. I especially like the first chorus, as they are different from each other, the melancholy little piano fill that comes on after "put another record on...".

Agreed. I love the the floating feeling I get from the musical intro to Another Record. Also there is great piano and Ringo-type drum fills throughout the song. It occurs to me if the band had chosen to put the entire Dodo Suite on Abacab that Submarine would have transitioned nicely into Another Record.