Posts by MoonlitKnight

I’m sitting here trying to figure out how much “gap time” the band will have available given the fact that a) Rutherford has said the aim is for a 2 hour setlist, and b) the band sees certain songs as falling into the “must play” category. In that category I identified the following songs: Land of Confusion; No Son of Mine; TTT circa 2007/Invisible Touch (assuming Phil’s voice can handle the vocals in TTT); Throwing it All Away; Follow You, Follow Me; Domino I and II; HBTS/SHBTS; Carpet Crawlers (it’s fairly easy on Phil’s voice and he loves that song); I Can’t Dance ; Los Endos (I’m praying it’s in the set but they’ve never played it on stage with just one drummer). If you throw song intros and banter in as close as I can figure that leaves 40-45 minutes or so for other material. Based on the promo vids and other sources it seems that Behind the Lines and perhaps Squonk may be in the offing. Abacab has been suggested as well (I guess based on some comments made by Nic Collins, though doing the instrumental outro with a single drummer would potentially rob the song of much of its power live). Assuming those were all played in their entirety (a big assumption I know) that would leave about 20 minutes or so. If we subtract time for the break between the main setlist and the encore(s) that would seem to leave 15-16 minutes. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a) whether this list as I’ve given seems likely and if not where I may be off base; and b) what might fill that 15-16 minute gap.

Had a huge crush on Susanne Vega back in the day and love this song.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

100% likewise. There are tracks here and there that have never caught fire for me, but it's a small handful. Yes, that's right Battle of Epping Frigging Forest, I'm looking at you and willing you to reveal yourself to me.

Yep, I hear ya regarding Battle of Epping Forest. It never has really resonated for me, especially compared to the rest of the tracks on SEBTP. If I recall correctly Mike Rutherford has mentioned it as a song that was too busy and the jams never really came together.

One of my favorite songs on one of my favorite albums featuring one of my favorite album covers.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

There's also a goofy reaction video by this christian couple of Supper's Ready, where they get all uncomfortable about the 666 bit. The song's title or the last part seem to give the woman no inclination what the song is about, but as soon as someone utters 666 it's... "oh no, this is not song about the Devil, is it?"

I’m not sure if this is the one you’re referring too. In this one the husband digs the entire song and totally gets the references to Revelation while the wife spends large parts of the video with a “WTF?” look on her face.

Yes the vile weed line is a classic. I used to use that as well all the time regarding broccoli. I hated it, and asparagus too. Thank God I’m with someone now who knows her way around the kitchen. Who knew veggies could taste so good? :D And I love the rods and cones comment by Kramer. The red menace strikes lol.

Kenny Rodgers chicken restaurant episode when Jerry confronts Newman:

Jerry: “Broccoli? Newman you wouldn’t eat broccoli if it was deep fried in chocolate sauce.”

Newman tries to claim he loves broccoli and takes a bite before spitting it out with a disgusted look on his face and screams “Vile weed!” :)

I just double-checked the script online. Susan’s mother shouts at Susan’s father “Who’s John? Who’s John?” Then the aunt exclaims “I knew it!” The look on the aunt’s face is priceless lol.

I kinda don’t want to know if the setlist is full of the shorter, poppier stuff with less of a nod to older material than in 2007, when at least they padded the usual In the Cage medley with Duke’s Travels, plus we got Ripples, FOF/IKWIL, Carpet Crawlers, and Mama (I know Mama isn’t “old” by Genesis standards but it was still great that they played it).. I’m assuming Behind the Lines will be played this time around since it’s the song used in the tour promo, and my brother and I (who rarely agree on anything) both thought that one of the images in an early tour promo reminded us of Squonk. But all of that is guessing. I’m hoping to be surprised by the inclusion of some older stuff that hasn’t been played for a while. If it leans more heavily than I’d like toward the pop stuff I’ll still enjoy the show but my not knowing in advance at least I won’t show up for the show feeling a bit bummed out before the first note is played.

This question may have been raised before (if so I apologize), but I’m curious where others stand on learning about the setlist prior to seeing a concert. I actively searched out articles on the 2007 setlist prior to seeing Genesis that fall in Washington, DC. It didn’t ruin the show for me but obviously did remove the element of surprise. This time around I think I’m gonna try to “keep it dark” (or more correctly I suppose keep myself in the dark) as to the setlist. Just curious how others plan to approach it.

For Tony I recommend starting with his first album, A Curious Feeling. It’s my personal favorite and is considered by a number of folks to be his best solo effort. It fits quite nicely in with ATTWT and Duke era material that was written by Banks. I also like his second album, The Fugitive (partially because Tony handles the lead vocals himself), but I recognize that album tends to get more of a mixed response from fans.

Saw this one last night:

Susan reads out loud letters discovered in her father’s burned down cabin that reveal that her father had an affair with John Cheever. Her shocked brother exclaims “John Cheever? Dad, you and John Cheever!” Susan’s aunt then says with a grin “I KNEW IT!”

Don't know about sick but the guitar adds nice colour. I agree TB is way better, I find it much more distinctive and interesting. DTN is OK but for me doesn't live up to the opening with the percussion loop and guitar riff, and the way the dipping bass line comes in under. Once it gets going it's a bit generic, though with a nice energy. The edit is much better as the removed section is a bit naff. Probably the right decision to leave it off but I think the album would've stood having both instrumentals on.

I find DTN to be more creative than TB. I love the longer version, and the end is classic “It sounds the way joy feels,” similar to that really uplifting section near the end of Cinema Show that always gets a roar from the crowd. As they say, different strokes for different folks :)

Gotcha! I didn't realize he played in DC proper. Yeah, the gig I saw was in an outdoor amphitheater (wasn't Wolf Trap...Bristow?) and I remember thinking while looking around at the empty venue just how far Peter had slipped from the mainstream. I suppose that happens when you wait 10 years to release another album... ;)

Yes Bristow, that’s where PG played that summer. He played downtown DC the previous fall. I agree the 10 year break between albums didn’t help. Also as a solo act Peter had a hard core loyal following that temporarily added lots of pop fans with the success of Sledgehammer, but I think a lot of those people melted away over time. In retrospect I wish he had played smaller venues on that tour. The vibe would have been much more electric.

Genesis live in Toronto 1982: Second Half of Supper’s Ready

Small world! I was at that show too, and I remember being quite surprised as well. When I arrived at the venue they were offering everyone with a GA lawn ticket to upgrade to a seat in the pavillion for 5 or 10 bucks, if I recall correctly.

I think you’re talking about the outdoor concert in northern Virginia (was it at Wolf Trap?). I also saw Peter that tour at the hockey arena in downtown DC. Both venues were half empty for the concerts. Funny/gross story from the outdoor concert. I went with my brother. They had giant garbage cans at the venue. I went to throw something out and forgot our tix were in the same hand. Sure enough the tix went in the garbage. It was too deep to simply reach in and grab the tickets so my brother climbed over the rim and I hung onto his ankles while he dangled down and snatched them from the bottom of the can. Fun times lol :D

I doubt there will be halves. Two hours straight, possibly with the band leaving the stage and returning for an encore.

And they won't ever play the entire Cinema Show again. Mike has "forgotten" the unusual guitar tuning of the opening lines and has declined to re-learn them since 1983.

The documentary that chronicled the prep for the 2007 tour shows the band at least considering Cinema Show in its entirety. Tony in particular seemed excited by the prospect. Problem was (or at least what was captured in the documentary) that Phil couldn’t hit the high notes (e.g. “Can she be late for her Cinema Show . . . Cinema Show”).

Abacab Side One:

Abacab

Keep it Dark

No Reply at All

Like it or Not

You Might Recall

Abacab Side Two:

Me and Sarah Jane/Man on the Corner (linked by drum machine).

Naminanu

Dodo/Lurker

Submarine fade into Another Record

They may have started to write more pop, but they were still producing songs from their progressive roots. To support the point, Duke's Travels/Duke's End, Home By The Sea/Second Home By The Sea, Domino, and Fading Lights are definitely not pop!;)

And Naminanu, Submarine, and Do the Neurotic, in addition to quality “popish” songs like Evidence of Autumn, On the Shoreline, You Might Recall, and Feeding the Fire. They were writing and recording plenty of quality, substantive music. Unfortunately many of those songs weren’t included on the albums that directly came out of those various sessions.