Posts by MoonlitKnight

This is a 6 hour drive from me. Could I say I'm going out to get some milk?

Easiest way is to break down any resistance from the inside. In my case my girlfriend went from “Oh yeah, Genesis. I love Invisible Touch!”

to her loving Supper’s Ready as much as I do. Rare is the day when we don’t listen to that song, with her singing along note for note (she has a great singing voice). Her new-found love of all eras of Genesis music plus turning it into an excuse to stay overnight in a hotel near the venue seals the deal :)

Hi! Yes I’m from outside of Philadelphia. I can honestly say that I’ve never seen a Genesis cover band, but would love too! I was looking for when the Musical Box may be playing again, that’s good to know. I’ll have to check them out. I’ve heard that they are top notch!

TMB is superb! They are doing an unusual setlist this time around. The first half of the concert will be stuff from 1976-78. The second half will be Gabriel-era material (they usually do strictly Gabriel-era tours).. The show is November 27 at the Keswick. The Genesis Show concert is slated for somewhere in NJ. I saw them in Colllingswood, NJ a couple of years ago. I wore my Baltimore Ravens sweatshirt. The guy at the door looked at it and said “Daaaaamn. Coming all the way up here? You are a hardcore fan!” They did the Encore Tour that night. I’ve also seen them put on the W&W tour a couple of times. They definitely didn’t disappoint. This next show is supposed to be the Three Sides Live album start to finish followed by select numbers from the Six of the Best benefit concert Genesis did with Gabriel in 1982.

Anyone know what the best recordings of that tour out there are? Anything like the Lyceum 1980 (I suspect not but thought I'd check!)?

I think there may be a soundboard recording from the Saratoga Springs show. But it’s muffled in terms of the audience noise and the drums. My favorite audience recordings from the Encore Tour are (in no particular order) the 9/29/82 show at Hammersmith; the 8/19/82 show at Merriweather Post Pavilion (happy to say I attended that show) and the 8/9/82 show at the LA Forum. The LA show has mediocre sound quality but for me the audience reaction to Supper’s Ready more than makes up for it. The crowd goes crazy over the drum fills during A in 9/8 and their delirious, joyous cheering literally drowns out the last 10 seconds of the musical outro at the end of SR. And it puts the lie to the theory that fans of the “new stuff” can’t possibly like SR. After the song ends you can clearly hear a young woman say “I love that song!”

True, though if you go far enough back in their catalog you have to add bluegrass-influenced songs (e.g. Midnight Flyer; Early Bird; Doolin-Dalton instrumental; Journey of the Sorcerer) driven by Bernie Leadon’s banjo.

Hear! Hear!

Hey LL. Are you in PA? I thought you may have mentioned PA in one of your posts. The reason I’m bringing it up is to ask you if you’ve ever seen the Genesis cover bands that play the Keswick Theater just outside Philly? In addition to the renowned cover band the Musical Box I’ve seen the cover band The Genesis Show several times. They cover the 1976-1982 era and put on a helluva show. I’m proud to say that I’ve converted my girlfriend into a hardcore Genesis freak. We are seeing the MB in November a week after we see Genesis in Washington, DC (we live on the lower eastern shore of MD) and have tix for TGS as well, though that show is still being rescheduled. Long story short if you haven’t seen those bands (especially the Genesis Show) I highly recommend checking them out!

My social media footprint, admittedly never very expansive anyway, has narrowed to this site and YouTube because I grew so weary of the politicization of seemingly every conversation. While I realize this is a single thread on this site I would like to express my sincere wish that we just put the more politicized fragments of the thread to rest. Less lecturing on the politics of pandemics and more listening to each other’s opinions on the world’s best band sounds splendid to me.

Just an unrelated note: did Phil write the lyrics to Soho by Brand X? He and John Goodsall are credited with that, and when the backing track was reused for Modern Noisy & Effective, among the 3 writers of the latter song, Goodsall was credited, but Collins wasn’t. The latter is also an instrumental, while soho had lyrics.

Interesting question. I always thought Soho had “Phil-sounding” lyrics.

Ok, maybe with Behind The Lines in between...e.g. a bit like 1982 shows...but instead of segueing into Follow You Follow Me, go into Abacab.

That would be quite cool. It actually might work better than the transition from BTL into FYFM back in 1982. That one just kinda comes to a dead stop for a couple of moments at the end of BTL until Phil starts a tambourine intro to FYFM.

I'm sure MoonlitKnight isn't being 100% serious with his wardrobe comment. Amusing to think white shirt and dockers = "dad"! But yeah, this was a time when we thought it was cool to push up jacket sleeves. Ahem - I, er, um.... (gulp) did it myself. And wore baggy pastel t-shirts and billowy trousers. 😖

Thank you Backdrifter for “catching my drift” re the band’s onstage wardrobe during the Invisible Touch tour. Indeed that part of my comment was meant to be in part a smart a** observation on the clothing styles at the time. I am as guilty as anyone else of dressing the part during the mid-80s. In my case it was wearing nothing but black and having spiked hair. Cringe-worthy indeed! But I was also trying to offer a critique of the music as well. I mentioned the 1982 Encore Tour because Genesis sounded so big and full and raw during that tour. Go back to that tour and listen to the monstrous drum fills during Abacab and Supper’s Ready (the Saratoga Springs soundboard recording not withstanding; soundboard recordings always seem to muffle the sound of the drums). And listen to the unrestrained joy of the reworked Lamb that was played on that tour. To me it was Genesis at its best: a rock band with great chops and enthusiasm putting on a helluva show.

The lyrics on Scenes from a Night’s Dream sound a lot like something Tony would write. It’s hard to wrap my mind around Phil writing about “giant nymphs and goblins playing.” Are you sure they were Phil’s?

George warning Jerry about being ripped off while buying a new car: “There’s no laws in this place. Anything goes. It’s Thunderdome!” lol:D

Interesting, I think the complete opposite, that the live version is fuller sounding. The original sounds way more spartan and spacey to me. The instrumental has a more atmospheric feel on the album, but buzzing and rocky live. I like both.

I agree that live it sounds fuller and more like a rock song. On the other hand I think the version from the IT tour pales in comparison to the live versions from the 3 previous tours. The IT version is way too fast for my taste and all the instruments have a tinny sounding quality to me. Of course my view may be colored by knowing how the band dressed on stage during that tour: Phil in his Dad-look white shirt and Dockers and Tony and Mike wearing those cringe-worthy Miami Vice style suits. Oh for the t-shirts and jeans of the Encore Tour.

I’m gonna be really specific here. 1982. The Encore Tour. Phil’s voice was at its peak and the band was tight, raw, and willing to take chances, as evidenced by the arrangements of songs like FYFM and The Lamb. Oh, and it’s the last tour where they played Supper’s Ready in its entirety.

woah woah woah woah WOAH!!! Put on the brakes here! Cant stand most Yes songs!? =O=O:evil:<X:evil:=O

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! YES! I can’t stand most Yes songs :)Their lyrics and melodies don’t move me much. But hey if you love them more power to you. Different musical strokes for different folks.

Thinking about the bands I listen to (see my previous comments) reminds me that I generally have an aversion to prog rock bands other than Genesis. I can’t stand most Yes songs. Their lyrics often sound to me like the pseudo-intellectual musings of a wannabe 16 year old poet, and their music is not as consistently melodic as is that of Genesis. ELP tends to be “too grandiose” by half for my taste. I could go on, but the general point I’m raising is that Genesis is the only prog band that consistently does it for me (though King Crimson has its moments). Am I out on an island alone feeling like this?

I don't think it's been mentioned here but does anyone think there could be a resurrection of the In That Quiet Earth/Apocalypse in 9/8 medley from the IT tour? Perhaps just the instrumental parts since the vocals are challenging. I know from some of the interviews at least some of SR was on the table for the setlist. It would be a shame for the possible last tour to not include at least a portion of their signature song from the early era. Thoughts?

Was just listening to the ITC medley from LA in 1986 and the thought occurred...

I’m rooting like hell for Apocalypse in 9/8. It would be musical heaven (Yeah, yeah I get 30 lashes with a wet noodle for bad puns lol). I’d gladly take an instrumental version, especially if they then play the song through to the end (rather than say transitioning to Afterglow). I’m thinking if they mellow out the arrangement Phil’s voice may be able to handle it.