Posts by MoonlitKnight

Thanks for starting the thread Mozo! I love reading the stories from that day and look forward to more. I wasn't there but he's my sorta story.

In October 1982 I was living in Pasadena California and had already been a Genesis fan for a little over 9 years but had heard nothing about a reunion about to take place in Milton Keynes. A few days after the gig, though, I was in my car driving to the supermarket one evening at sunset listening to KROQ, the radio station that had started the "rock of the 80s" format of ditching most 70s arena rock in favor of playing new wave artists such as Thompson Twins, Flock of Seagulls, and Duran Duran. The DJ on that evening was Jed The Fish, and after something like Thomas Dolby's Europa & The Pirate Twins had finished playing, Jed came on and expressed how bummed he was that he had missed a Genesis reunion show in England with Peter Gabriel. My jaw dropped! I couldn't believe it. Then he proceeded to play "Supper's Ready" in its entirety. My destination was only about 10 minutes from home but instead of driving straight there, I took a detour and extended the drive so I could listen to all of Supper's Ready while enjoying the sunset.

This is a bit off-topic, but I had a rather similar experience with Supper's Ready on the radio back in the 1980's. I was moving from Baltimore to Columbia, South Carolina. Just as I entered the outskirts of Columbia, driving my 1974 Gran Torino with its AM-only radio, I happened upon a radio station and couldn't believe what I was hearing--the opening section of Supper's Ready! I drove around and listened to the next 22 + minutes of pure musical bliss. I'll never forget the DJ, who clearly had never actually heard Supper's Ready before, saying at the end of the song "My God, that was a long song" lol^^

It reads very much like a Tony lyric to me, and I think works well apart from the word 'roasted' which I think is one of those words that is hard to sing. The lyrics would be very timely now with "cancel culture" and the censorship of things from the past that don't meet today's ethical standards:

I remember (dimly) a vinyl interview picture disc around the time of Invisible Touch and they were talking about the limitations of running times of vinyl, and that they had some very strong songs that weren't on the Invisible Touch album that they'd like to put out as non-album singles. Maybe this was one they had in mind but ultimately they tended to leave it up to the record company to choose the singles...

I know they're wary of messing with albums that people love *too* much (see reaction to remixes)... but I for one would love to see expanded editions of all the albums inserting tracks that were left off due to insufficient running time... as long as the set contains original mixes of the original album somewhere the purists would be catered for! I was watching an old interview with Phil on YouTube the other day where he's talking about being in the middle of writing with the band (what became Abacab) and their desire for it to be a double-album as they had so many ideas that there wasn't enough room in a single album to explore them all properly! Expanded sets could include some of the tapes of them just jamming... (or just "blowing" as puts it back in the day...)

Actually, I've always understood the lyrics to be a reference to our tendency to ignore crises and human suffering in parts of the world that were once paid more attention to by colonial/imperialist "Western" powers.

I quite liked the IT setlist. As mentioned, Abacab was great - fast and furious. The ITC sequence was awesome - I saw it in Toronto and thus got the SR version. The drum duet was fabulous and Los Endos kicked ass. And the IT songs were well served, particularly the full TTT and The Brazilian.

I just can't get into Abacab as played on the IT tour. For my taste it's played way too fast and the drums lack the big sound that featured at the shows I saw in '81, '82, and '83.

More - all of US and Aus/NZ?

EDIT - correction, it was all the US 1986 shows (unless anyone knows otherwise) and the NZ show; for the Australia shows the SR section was dropped and replaced by Afterglow. There it remained for the rest of 86 and 87 through the Aus tour, US 2nd leg and Europe.

Yes, key term there being 1986 shows in the US. Unfortunately, they missed Washington, DC on the 1986 leg (despite playing just up the road in Philly and NYC). I had heard the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio concert of the LA show in the 1986 and was absolutely psyched to hear SR in DC when they finally played there in early 1987. As much as I love Afterglow, I was absolutely heartbroken when I heard the transition from ITQE to Afterglow instead of SR. Thank goodness I saw them in '82 when they played SR in its entirety.

Genesis: The Lamia . . . Heard on Sirius XM Deep Tracks

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Phil Collins live, Washington, DC: 2/20/83

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Lizzie? 🤢

Your 2nd comment there is the pertinent one. I'm sure there are people manufacturing optimism for the sake of it and at the moment who could blame them. But deep down most know she'll be ineffectual. She's no less a shape-shifting creep than Johnson. As for his exit speech it was every bit the blustering self-aggrandising stream of tone-deaf fantasy bollocks any reasonable person expected.

Ah, he channeled his inner Donald Trump.

This is a tough call for me. I think I've seen them every time they've played the Keswick (and a couple shows in NJ as well). Still, as I noted before the Duke tour was not my favorite setlist and it's a 6 hour roundtrip from the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Also, I'd have to sell Ms. MoonlitKnight on it. The fact they won't be playing Supper's Ready will make it a tough sell for her. But she does love Duchess and Afterglow. Ah, decisions, decisions . . . .

It (slightly) makes up for the paucity of official releases.

Personally I’m perfectly fine with the live stuff available for free on YouTube. Maybe it’s an age thing. Not sure how old you are, but I’ll be 61 at the end of the month. I grew up listening to crappy bootlegs and was happy to hear the music, despite the substandard sound quality (for example, the bootleg album I owned of the 1982 reunion show). Now, much of the bootleg material on YouTube is far superior to any unofficial live stuff I was able to get my hands on “back in the day.”

What I still like, particularly about the earlier Genesis stuff, is that where others of that time - eg Steve Howe - would do "look how many notes I can pack in" solos Hackett played clean, elegant lines. In particular the Salmacis solo is a turning point, the real start of a specific Genesis Sound - that melodic flow over those mellotron chords. Of course we all think of FoF and I'd add in The Lamia - his work on these exemplify his approach, making the guitar almost like a voice that tells us a story rather than just trying to be virtuosic.

He could also be quite spiky and jagged too. These approaches continued into his solo work. The albums tailed off in quality and interest for me but the whole body of work stands as testament to how good he is.

For me, many Yes songs are plagued by the “look how many notes I can fit in” syndrome. As a band they seemed obsessed with individual virtuosity, whereas Genesis’ prog style was more oriented toward melody.

I have to confess, when I saw this thread bumped up my heart sank a little. But I was relieved and pleased to see your pragmatic comments.

Most fans like us on this board would love to see various bits and pieces released, such as bootlegs, rehersals etc. I certainly would. But I think some here forget who this band is, or act almost like they don't really know who they are and what their stance is. Or they do know, but somehow think that now they're retired they will undergo a miraculous transformation and decide to clear out their archives of every scrap of material. Or that they will actually read fans' comments on boards like this, or under youtube videos, and think "oh well we'd better get all this stuff out of the cellar and put it out there. Just look at these fan comments!"

The occasional snippet finding its way out through other means is the most we'll get. It's blatantly obvious that the band and their management are NOT going to be the source of any such releases.

Very true. And I do think that as fans of the band we should be grateful that unlike certain other artists Genesis has never been obsessed with blocking either studio recordings or bootlegs on YouTube. I just listened to the Detroit 1977 show over the weekend and it sounded great.

Donald Fagen: IGY

Just stumbled across this on YouTube. This is freakin’ Grade A, 100%, kick-ass awesome, featuring discussion board member Dodo on keyboards.