Posts by seven-eight

All I know is that he did the GWF on the segway at the show I went to in June 2003. Not sure if that was considered the Still Growing Up tour at that point? Can't quite remember that... I do remember much of the show pretty well though. The phone he used for Come Talk to Me came loose from the booth while he was singing so he had to kind of improvise with it. Pretty funny to see!

I don't think he has to relearn it in a new key. He can play in the original key and use a setting on his keyboard to transpose the key down. I think that's what he did on the 2007 tour - he looks like he is playing in the original key even though the song has been lowered.

Ah okay, I never really looked that closely at any videos from 2007 to see that he used the transpose setting. I just assumed he painfully learned everything in a new key. Much easier that way for sure. In that case he should be all set!

ASAEIE is actually quite challenging to sing too - sustained and fairly high notes. Might be possible if they key the whole thing down a 3rd or more. If they do that, then Apocalypse might come more into range as well.

That might work for singing it, but poor Tony would have the task of relearning that solo in a new key 😳 Not that he hasn't done it before on In The Cage for example, but that could be a heavier lift.

Thank you . I misread your post . ( Thought it was odd I hadn't heard of of a GWF tour!). I have s poor memory for detail but was certain about that. It's not on the Growing Up DVD which was shot in Milan and I saw it at NEC in Brum .

I didn't word my post very well so I could see the confusion, though a Games Without Frontiers tour could be interesting haha!

Yeah, I saw the Growing Up tour twice. The first time he didn't do GWF, and the second one which was a different leg of the tour he did. Not sure which leg of the tour the Milan show was offhand.

Yes a Segway. That what they're called. I remember the Brian Pern stuff. When I watched that it brought back that memory. But I'm certain it was Growing Up , I didn't go to Games Without Frontiers tour.

Sorry I meant he rode it during the song Games Without Frontiers on the Growing Up tour. This is what I was able to find on youtube:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Totally agree about the instant gratification comment, especially as it relates to music. I find that sometimes if I like an album straightaway I am suspicious that perhaps I won't like it in the long run, whereas something a little harder to crack might lead me to think it's worth the effort. Hasn't happened with AMSP, but who knows if there is still something there for me.

I do love Separator as well, and it might be my favorite on the album. The guitar riff about midway through, coupled with the atmospheric synths and Thom Yorkes vocals at the end make it a big Radiohead moment for me.

On True Love Waits, I kind of consider it like a bonus song at the end, not even really part of the album if I think about it. It did feel a bit silly that it finally got a release, but since I feel that version surpasses the original, I guess I'm ok with it being there.

That's interesting that you enjoyed AMSP. I think it combines some of their established elements into a gentler overall sound. I've heard quite a few non-fans say they enjoyed it. Similarly many kind of came back to or discovered them via In Rainbows, which was a much warmer album for them at the time - it's my personal favourite along with The Bends and would be my suggestion for a way in if you don't already know it.

Some felt they then returned to being somewhat cold and unapproachable with the next album, The King of Limbs. While I'm a huge fan of them, I do understand why many find them aloof and inaccessible.

I would agree that In Rainbows is probably the best way into the world of Radiohead. It combines a lot of their elements into one album without being difficult to access.

It seems that this sort of disinterest in trying to meet the other side half way is tied in with both the popularisation of 24 hour news networks and social media/internet. Before then you could escape the news a lot easier if you wanted and there wasn't as much an outlet for everyday people's views. Now people find the news from the precise source and political slant they want, and find the groups online to backup whatever their political leaning is. It has created a kind of pack mentality on both sides.

I don't see a way back from this poisonous political atmosphere without some major reforms of people's mentality and ability to reach across and have a reasonable discussion and understanding. I can only hope that some shift like that happens because social media and cable news certainly aren't going anywhere anytime soon.