Posts by Phil Morris

That's not especially pedantic, in fact thanks for reminding me about the original Lamb pressing. My brother had that pressing and your note has triggered my memory of seeing it in that title form. But I remember it as (per the Seconds Out listing) Crawl - did you mean 'singular' as in The Carpet Crawler? Or is that me now being pedantic?!

When you say Collins dropped the opening verse, do you literally mean he brought about that idea? I recall Banks saying they decided to go from "...cover the floor" as they thought the opening section felt too separate and the live rendition was more satisfyingly consistent without it. He made it seem like a group decision but it's interesting to suggest it originated with PC.

I heard a recording of PC trying out the song in its entirety including the opening section, possibly ahead of a tour. It might've been a link posted on the previous board. It sounded a bit rickety, like he was struggling with those opening verses, which might've been a reason he steered them to dropping that bit.

Apologies for being unclear on a couple of points. I meant "singular" simply as a single "crawl" as opposed to multiple crawlers. And I referred to Collins dropping the verse as a shorthand most would understand and normally refer to: I have no doubt it was a group decision. And the full version with Collins singing was included in a Capital Radio interview with Nicky Horne.

...BBC 6 Music occasionally plays album tracks, most often Guy Garvey of Elbow who has a very good Sunday afternoon show. As mentioned earlier in this thread he's known for quite often playing the Seconds Out version of Carpet Crawlers, in fact he's so devoted to it he refers to it as 'Carpet Crawl' as per the original cover.

<Pedant Alert> The original UK Lamb vinyl names the track in the singular on its sleeve. It has been named inconsistently throughout its life. (Contrary to the "suggestion" often proposed that its in the singular on Seconds Out owing to Collins dropping the opening verse.)

The new album by Onar Rodriguez Lopez (is It The Clouds) is quite stunning.

(He is the guitarist from The Mars Volta)

As I found it really good, I checked his previous work and was quite confused. In 2017 he released 10 (!) albums. So if anyone has a suggestion where to start, that would be wonderful …

I've always liked his Bosnian Rainbows album. More "commercial" with female vocals.

Here is a message from author Mark Bell:

Mark Bell is currently looking for an English native speaker to check his translation of the Foxtrot-Book. It's rather about style and wording than spelling. Ideal would - for instance be - an (active or retired) English teacher.

In case you are interested (or know someone who might be interested) you can directly get in contact with Mark via albumage@posteo.de

Hmmm...

I didn’t know that Strictly Inc performed live at the BBC.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Apologies I'd never brought this to your attention before. I thought it was widely known about. (Well, within the context of Banks fans.)

Having bought the Tarka album upon release (I see the official website dates this as 31 October 1988) I was unaware of the accompanying single which according to the discogs website followed in November. (It would be good to know the precise date.)

Although the CD single has been fairly easy to acquire over the years, the 7" in picture sleeve has been harder to come by - at least at a reasonable price. I was disappointed in 1989 when I ordered a copy via mail order. Unfortunately, it transpired it had sold out and I was sent a copy of the Australian (non-picture sleeve) 7" which had been released there that year.

As an aside, that Australian copy is something of an oddity. The only other country in which it was released and yet the album didn't come out there. Perhaps the single was an attempt to test the water to see if a release of the album was viable. 45cat (which unusually doesn't list the UK single at all) gives a release date for this of 3 July 1989. Amusingly, discogs has a copy with a handwritten date on it: the 31st of June. Presumably, Monday 3 July is accurate.

Anyway, I have finally filled the long-held gap in my collection with a copy of the UK 7". Any comments providing any further information or clarification on any of the foregoing would be most welcome.

EDIT: UK single release date established as 21 November 1988.

Not sure if those (very valid) aspects are still relevant in 2023, especially for i/o. Each of the four sides is not too long. Having said that, the album contains 12 tracks, which I think didn't happen before (with the exception of "Scratch My Back", but that was another story).

No, my comments do not relate to the current situation and certainly not to i/o specifically. I was just making more general points in reply to the similarly non-specific ones concerning historical vinyl ordering in the comment I quoted.

If only we could get a big box for the 50th I'm sure a lot would be left out. I'd love to see an official release of I think it was called Meek's Cafe the five or six disc set that had the rehearsals the covers and noodling around I like that stuff even if it's not pristine audio. I wonder what exists that hasn't leaked to be heard ever.

The original release of The Lamb sessions was part of a CD series called In The Beginning in 1993.

I do know on vinyl they used to arrange the tracks based on which ones they think will be the most successful and that would affect much of their decision:

Side 1 would open with a great track, and then finish with a great one-therefore compelling the listener to want to turn it over instead of stop listening and ignore side 2. Then side 2 would open strong as well, making the listener want to keep going.

Not sure if that's what's happening here, but that was how they used to determine tracklist order, at least for LPs.

That said, vinyl often constrained and dictated the running order. This is why albums such as So and But Seriously have different vinyl orders to other formats. Gabriel was especially frustrated that he couldn't end with (the full version of) In Your Eyes (originally).

Similarly, the increased playing time of CDs versus - perceived - listen tolerance dictated running orders. Many wonder why Calling All Stations did not end with The Dividing Line, especially as it did so on pre-release cassettes. It ended up around the 45 minute mark because it was believed that more casual listeners would get no farther than that. (And has nothing to do with the quality of the material, before anyone makes a snide remark.)