Posts by Phil Morris

Sara Consentino sounds like something instrumental.

Upcoming Gabriel tribute .... well. I won't hold my breath

Yes, I'm with you on the tr*b*te, though I'll be interested to see which track Bowness tackles (and how). And to see who else is involved. There have been some worthwhile covers over the years. I do like the Shearwater take on Mother of Violence.

This just in from Tim Bowness. (For those who don't know, Bowness is Steven Wilson's musical partner in No-Man, as well as having an extensive career of his own.)

"...Of the sessions (some of which I’m not allowed to mention yet), one is an unexpected Country cover with a well-known guitarist, one is a 17 minute all-star ‘tribute’ (wherein I massacre a Prog classic!), one is a ballad for a Musical, and four – including three with Peter Hammill – are for a Saro Cosentino album (featuring Gavin Harrison, John Giblin, David Rhodes and others). I’ve also recorded a favourite Peter Gabriel piece with Peter Chilvers for an upcoming PG tribute release."

I’d like it if they produced the live collection on vinyl. They did a half-speed master of Seconds Out a couple of years ago, which was very good, and I’d hoped that this was heralding a broader vinyl reissue schedule, but alas, no.

They could improvise and blend the ‘shorts’ and the ‘longs’ to make for a concert- accurate running order. Given the appetite for vinyl right now - and notwithstanding the debacle over the ‘not quite 180 gram’ weight of the vinyl in the ‘red’ set - I’m surprised they haven’t gone for this. I have all three of the studio album sets, and they take pride of place in my music collection. They are simply missing the ‘no-brainer’ live set! My credit card is starting to twitch at the mere thought of such an item!

1) The Seconds Out Davis mix was first issued on vinyl in 2012 as a 35th anniversary edition.

2) The Longs and Shorts were combined in the way you describe for the CD box set edition.

Phil Morris

Enjoying the feature and am currently half way through. Just a couple of observations so far:

1) I'm not sure why the assumption has been made that the What Happened single was not commercially released. It was not uncommon for UK singles not to come in picture sleeves. Just look at Genesis up to and including Turn It On Again.

2) PG3 was released at the end of May.

Phil Morris

I'll probably get it, but it's not the most exciting release. How official is it? It looks like some of the other Knebworth performances are getting a release too (might pick up the Robert Plant one).

But a double or triple LP live at the Lyceum 1980... now THAT would be exciting.

Define "official". RSD is not known for its bootlegs. It's released by Eagle Rock, who clearly own the rights, judging by the previous editions.

Phil Morris

Still no word on the Worcester gig for which I have a ticket, but I was never expecting it to go ahead. I wonder why the band has yet to announce the trip is cancelled.

Phil Morris

Interesting. When he came to the Anthony Phillips Event we organized in Germany in 2014, he brought his guitar. He later told us he wanted to play a couple of things, but then decided to leave things as they were and not do it

That's a pity it didn't happen. The 1981 quote I mentioned:

"...It would be fun, honestly, to have some of the stuff done live. Besides which, I miss the volume. The volume is really stirring. But there it is; you can't have everything. There are so many drawbacks to touring that in a way I'm happier to put up with the slight sadness of not hearing some of the stuff live..."

I was faxed the press release upon issue. I just couldn't get my head around the "20 year experiment..." jest and that diverted my attention from the implications. Once it sunk in I'm not certain quite how I felt. I know I wasn't devastated norbelieved it to be the end of the best of the band. What I didn't enjoy was all the - inevitable but often ridiculous - subsequent assertions over who would be the new singer. Indeed, it's a topic which still riles when it's regularly aired.

Phil Morris

I am currently drinking the only beer brewed in north America in pitch lined wooden barrels. It has a quite lovely flavor, and really tastes like something you'd get if you walked into a small tavern in a village in the Czech republic and asked for a glass of the local brew.

Notch, pitch lined pils. Very hard to get since it sold out in hours but delicious if you can find it.

Where are all these bourbon and whisk(e)y cask-aged beers I'm drinking from the US originating, then?

Further to my original interview quote, I just rediscovered this today from a 1981 interview:

"...It [the prospect of touring] would be fun, honestly, to have some of the stuff done live. Besides which, I miss the volume. The volume is really stirring. But there it is; you can't have everything. There are so many drawbacks to touring that in a way I'm happier to put up with the slight sadness of not hearing some of the stuff live..."

I've just come across TRANSATLANIC! Never actually heard of them before though I find they are big and been going on and off for 20 years. I read about their new album and looked them up on you tube.. They are great . Definitely getting their albums. On my birthday list next month.. I think they will be one of my new favourite bands.

Hackett has guested with them (playing ...Hogweed live) and Roine Stolt toured with Hackett. They've also done (and released) the occasional Genesis cover, including the aforementioned Hackett appearance.