Posts by JustALawnmower

I love what I see/hear so far. I'm happy just to see then one more time. God bless Phil - to go what he's going through and still give it his all for the fans. We all get old and most of us coward away from challenges. He isn't.

Nick is killing it. I understand the quality of the youtube videos is far from perfect, but it sounds like the sound of drums is way in the back of the mix. Drums are an important ingredient in the live sound. Can anybody confirm what they sound like in person?

Last night the drums were certainly more front of mix - really prominent, clear and powerful

A few thoughts ahead of the UK shows. I feel incredibly fortunate to able to go and see the band who have been such a huge part of my life since the mid-70s. This time I know it really is the last time. I thought that at Twickenham in 2007 and as they left the stage I said my goodbyes. So this is a huge bonus to get to see them perform one last time. I realise that due to Phil's ill health it is not going to be anything like the shows from the past. However, I feel it is hugely courageous of him to take centre stage and perform given his health issues. I hope everyone at the concerts will recognise that and give him a huge welcome and recognise his contribution to the music scene for so many years. He has been such a talent as a singer, song writer, drummer, producer and in so many other areas of the industry. It is also great that unlike Phil, Tony and Mike have aged so well. With Nick and Daryl it should be an amazing musical show and I welcome the backing vocalists to assist Phil. So I hope you all have a great time and most of all that Phil can look back on these shows as a really special way to end his musical career. Thanks to Genesis ... I owe you so much for how you have enriched my life.

I'm pleased to report they got a rapturous applause/ovation as they walked on the stage....and a standing ovation at the end.

The crowd really were up for it and I think that spurred the band on (and Phil in particular who seemed to grow more animated as the show went on)

A few questions;

-was Duchess the full version?

-Was Tonight Tonight Tonight the shortened version that bridges into Invisible Touch?

-How much of Moonlit Knight was played?

Full version of Duchess...and quite a powerful arrangement.

Tonight unfortunately was the abridged version.

Moonlit Knight was just the intro...until the vocal "...selling England by the pound..." then segues into Carpet Crawlers.

By the way, the Lamb (or "New-born Lamb" as I've dubbed it) will split opinion, but personally think it was a good, 'warming' arrangement.

And, Nic was awesome on the drums.

Phil's voice much better than I expected having seen the documentary....yes, he struggles with some notes (and some lyrics) but he sang well...and grew more alive as the show went on.

Kind of agree with you on this one. It would kick ass if they walked out and played Squonk or something. Also not keen on Turn It on Again for a closer as that's been done before too. Very curious to see in what aspects they branch out given the time gap since the last tour and probability of this being their last. Based on the spoilers so far, the evidence would suggest they won't, at least not much.

Personal choice would be opening with Dance on a Volcano, which then maybe segues into something else.

And, as the encore closer, I Know What I Like would be cool.

As the "Last Hurrah" we all need to do them proud and loudly show our support, gratitude and appreciation for the 50+ years of music we've enjoyed.

As a band, they've always been about much more than just the 'front man' - always about the 'ensemble' with powerful music, strong melodies, captivating arrangements, exciting lighting and visuals. We will still get that on this tour.

If his solo tour is anything to go by, Phil's voice will get stronger as the tour goes on (you just need to watch/listen back to his first Liverpool gig in 2017 compared with, say, Peru in 2019). Undoubtedly he's a bit frailer, but vocal chords are like a muscle and get stronger the more they're used. Yes he's lost some natural range (who hasn't after 30 odd years!) - and you can see how much effort it takes now to get some notes - but he's still got some power when needed.

They will put on one hell of a show, I'm sure - let's get behind them and show our support and love.

Same boat here!

I suppose so. Most of the songs on the CD set were slam dunks all along to be played on this tour. Bummer that Squonk is not on the CD, but I’m still holding out hope. One of the teaser vids of the band rehearsing features an image behind the band that sure looks like Squonk. As for Apocalypse in 9/8 I’ve pretty much given up hope. Given his comments in an interview Nic Collins finds it too challenging to play, unlike drummers for dozens of cover bands (sarcasm intended).

Has anyone noticed "Domino Medley" on the tracklisting? Intriguing

I seem to be the only person that wouldn’t mind if Abacab was the show closer. Honestly my main concern is that the encore will be a low energy affair like it was in 2007. Ending with Carpet Crawlers was super moving on that tour but I don’t think it would be as emotionally effective this time. I also really don’t want them to close with Fading Lights. Fading Lights is a powerful song about accepting mortality but I personally would want the show to end on an energetic song like Abacab that leaves the audience wanting more... whereas Fading Lights would leave the audience depressed lol

Agreed....show closer needs to leave us on a high not poignant....I Know What I Like was always a great closer in the past..."It's your show...."!

This tour needs to be a celebration of their best material throughout the years......almost a "best of...live" playlist.

On this basis I agree I Can't Dance and No Son should be dropped.

Behind The Lines would be a strong opener...maybe segueing into Abacab to keep a fast-pace opening. (I've previously said opener should be Dance on A Volcano...segueing into Behind The Lines...segueing into Abacab.)

Land of Confusion is a strong song which should still be included.

I actually agree with above re Home By The Sea...an okay song but would much prefer Driving the Last Spike in its place.

The Dancing with the Moonlit Knight / Musical Box medley would work well as a main-set closer (maybe, and we can all but hope, for Supper's Ready to follow) before going into Los Endos (with Phil on drums duetting with his son to bring the show home to everyone's delight)

Turn It On Again works so well as the Encore opener....maybe then followed (and closing the whole show) with I Know What I Like? ("It's your show....."!)

I’m sitting here trying to figure out how much “gap time” the band will have available given the fact that a) Rutherford has said the aim is for a 2 hour setlist, and b) the band sees certain songs as falling into the “must play” category. In that category I identified the following songs: Land of Confusion; No Son of Mine; TTT circa 2007/Invisible Touch (assuming Phil’s voice can handle the vocals in TTT); Throwing it All Away; Follow You, Follow Me; Domino I and II; HBTS/SHBTS; Carpet Crawlers (it’s fairly easy on Phil’s voice and he loves that song); I Can’t Dance ; Los Endos (I’m praying it’s in the set but they’ve never played it on stage with just one drummer). If you throw song intros and banter in as close as I can figure that leaves 40-45 minutes or so for other material. Based on the promo vids and other sources it seems that Behind the Lines and perhaps Squonk may be in the offing. Abacab has been suggested as well (I guess based on some comments made by Nic Collins, though doing the instrumental outro with a single drummer would potentially rob the song of much of its power live). Assuming those were all played in their entirety (a big assumption I know) that would leave about 20 minutes or so. If we subtract time for the break between the main setlist and the encore(s) that would seem to leave 15-16 minutes. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a) whether this list as I’ve given seems likely and if not where I may be off base; and b) what might fill that 15-16 minute gap.

They could always skip No Son of Mine and I Can't Dance, and add that time to the 15-16 minutes to maybe give us what we all really want.....full length Suppers Ready?!!

We live in hope!!