Posts by Duke of Earl of Mar

I feel they were always aiming to finish the UK tour in London strong, building up as they went along before hitting America.

I feel the UK fans are more forgiving than perhaps some of the American markets, I hope it all goes positively over there for everyone.

This tour is a bonus, seeing all four of them again, plus the beginnings of Nic is a great thing to cherish.

I think Phil said that London is usually a more difficult audience than the rest of the UK.

Once again, too bad the last shows were cancelled, as Phil was getting stronger. He was more confident with his voice on that last gig (On Mama, during the bridge, when he sings "Now listen to me Mama, Mama, Mama...", usually he would go down on the last "Mama", singing an Eb, but in Glasgow he chose to go up to a G - like the original melody).

Quite strong, considering his condition. And it proves objectively he was getting better over time.

Your last sentence summarises the purpose of the tour.

I read somewhere here that Youtube videos tend to highlight flaws in a live show. And I think it's true. I've never been to Genesis show, but being in the moment it is happening changes the whole perspective (and it's probably true for nearly every artist). We get more of a general feeling being there, rather than paying attention to details (even if you can, especially when you're a musician also).

Every member of the audience, particularly the fans, and most importantly the band itself acknowledge this is not their best show they put on, because of physical problems and age. They're giving the best they can.

This is expensive, yes. But there is a context for the whole thing : this is their last tour, Phil is tired, and there is a pandemic, so setting a tour is a real bet. So it's quite emotional, not so rational. And it's a good thing. Judging by the amount of people coming, price does not seem to be a problem to most of them, even if the music is not perfect. There is a lot more than that.

I'm a musician and I know all the songs by heart, so I notice every little mistake or flaw happening while playing. But it doesn't bother me. I'm too happy to see everyone happy... And this is what makes a great concert also.

You wouldn't accept this from any other act!

Probably not. But since it's Genesis in 2021, then...

awful Mama

Well... Actually, this is one of these songs that could have fit on previous albums, to me...

I can easily hear Gabriel singing it (the big "Oh-Ohhhhh !" before the second verse and the bridge in the song, same as here, kind of : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efEEe2oGCUc , or just here https://youtu.be/1IanjpQoW54?t=224 , the laugh (Haha - Ha) could also be quite theatrical in a Gabrielesque way...

The guitar is very reminiscent of Hackett, I think (volume swells, vibrato effects at the beginning, and the solo at the end could easily be played by him).

I feel very bad for the band and the fans... Judging from the videos, their performances were getting better and better (They were not bad of course, but this Glasgow performance is very, very good).

Particularly Phil's timing. Really impressive. I think doing music and shows could be his medication...

By the way, He kind of forgot to sing the second verse on Turn It On Again during a few seconds... Funny. The performance is here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eb6_LMyJ12g

epoch-making

Trespass was like that, coming from FGTR.

And I don't want to be provocative towards some people here, but this is also what Abacab, for exemple, was meant to be...

And it was. A drastic change, that anyone is free to appreciate or not. Appreciation may change too, over time.

I didn't like it at all, at first. Now, I understand it.

People evolve. Music evolves. Miles Davis in the 50's was not the same as Miles Davis in the 70's. The same for Mozart, Debussy, and literally every great musician.

It is just a matter of taste, nothing more. If you like Who Dunnit more than Supper's Ready, it's fine, even better, it's interesting, and we can have a conversation, find what we have in common, etc...

his timing being out these days.

That's weird. He seems very slow at times, usually when he makes an effort (going high in pitch...).

But he always recovers quickly because he still knows when the beat is, of course.

Personally I would have dropped Home by the Sea/Second Home (the keys don't match, it always feels weird to me), Tonight, Tonight, Tonight (I never liked it being abridged), and Throwing It All Away (nice cute song, ok, but not the most interesting one, and Phil already played it for his Not Dead Yet Tour some years ago, in the very same way). That leaves 20 minutes or so to play something else... Another medley of older songs or even deeper cuts, I don't know.

I know on this board there was a great deal of discussion about Abacab as a possibility, but were there interviews where the members of the band talked about rehearsing it

According to Tony Banks, it was planned until the last moment, like Jesus He Knows Me.

They even had visuals for for the giant screens.

They dropped it because of lack of time.

He also said that the tracklist for the Last Domino compilation was what they wanted to play for the tour, what was planned.

At first, they weren't so keen about releasing it, as they wanted to keep the setlist secret, but the management told them it was impossible to keep anything secret nowadays. The first note played at the first concert, someone would have filmed it, so everyone would have known the setlist 15 minutes later or less after the bow.

So they agree to release it, finally.

My dream would be a new album, the very last one, with everyone involved (the three guys with Nic on drums, Phil on arrangements, percussion and backing vocals, Peter, Ray, Steve and Anthony... Maybe even Daryl and Chester as guests). I already said that before, and I know it is a dream. There would be too many people in the room. ^^

I wouldn't rule out the possibility for additional shows in 2022.

Neither would I, especially when you have a manager like Tony Smith (saying for instance : "when they gathered for the very first rehearsal in New York, I immediately started planning a tour at the end of the year...").

I know he got surprised when Phil left in 2008, so now everyone has the experience, I don't think this could happen the same way today...