Posts by Duke of Earl of Mar

Watching the videos, it appears Home By The Sea is challenging too.

The two parts, being played in completely different keys (C minor/E minor), sound kind of weird to me (it was already the case for the 1997/2007 versions).

Mama sounds great, Phil's "new voice" made me feel even more "ill-at-ease" towards the song's character than previous versions.

Playing That's All in this acoustic arrangement is self-evident. It works really well.

I wonder what thinking goes on when they’re planning the order?

Mike : - Well guys, what do we choose as an opener ? I don't want anything too complicated, no weird guitar tuning. We should play it safe...

Tony : - Behind The Lines is great, I wrote that part, and Duke is my favourite album.

Mike : - You're right. Plus we did it last time, it worked well.

Phil : - Ok guys.

I'm sure it happened like this. ^^

But they're right, it works very well objectively.

When Phil came out of retirement in 2016, I imagined Genesis being reunited with Nic and Ray, with Phil on backing vocals and hand percussion (because of Phil's voice lowering and Peter not wanting anything to do with Genesis). I thought about Wot Gorilla as an opener... :love:

Coming back to the setlist, I really wonder why they kept Throwing It All Away, Tonight and Invisible Touch...

Phil played 2 of these songs on his solo tour, exactly the same way.

And TTT does not have any purpose played that way, I think.

I know IT is "the big hit", so it's complicated to do without it. But you know...

2 songs from IT is enough - but essential ! - for me (and these two songs, LOC and Domino are the basis of the show in a way).

I would have left room for other songs (From Trick...).

I really like Carpet Crawlers (personal favorite), but I would have preferred a more energetic closing. They did it in 1998 and 2007, so it would have been a nice change. Musical Box in E or D Major could have worked, I think.

Anyway...(;)) what a great show it seemed to be !

According to Joserael on Twitter :

"

1/Duke's suite

2/ Turn it on again

3/ Mama

4/ Land of confusion

5/ Home by the sea 6/ Second home by the sea

7/ Fading lights/Cinema show/afterglow

8/ That's all

9/ The lamb lies down on Broadway

10/ Follow you follow me

11/ Duchess

12/ No son of mine

13/ Firth oh fith/I know what I like (stagnation snippet... and tambourine !)

14/ Domino

15/ Throwing it all away

16/ Tonight tonight tonight

17/ Invisible Touch

18/ I can't dance

19/Dancing with the moonlit knight intro/Carpet crawlers

"

I'll be interested to hear how much of the following songs are played:

The Lamb

Firth of Fifth

Duchess

I don't think Duchess will be abridged. In the documentary, I heard the full intro, the verse and the chorus parts as a background music...

I guess Firth of Fifth will be the solo section only, with a 4 bar drum intro, like in 1992 and 2007. It will be a great surprise if they play it entirely....

Don't know for The Lamb. I'm expecting a new arrangement (and I'm quite exited...), since it's likely to be part of a medley, based on Phil's proposal in the documentary...

I'm following this whole thing from France, you don't even how I am happy... ;)

There is certainly no click track on Seconds out and 3 sides live and they sound all the better for it.

I agree with you. I like the "imperfections" (tempo, playing...) or small differences given by a live recording over the studio version. It is something that modern tours, because of programmed cues for video or lightening, usually lack.

;)

For me, Abacab is a paradox.

I grew up listening to the 1970-1980 Genesis, so I was accustomed to the "mellow prog/pop, 12 strings, big chords" thing.

One day, I found a cassette my mum had bought, that was still packed (maybe for 25 years...).

It was Three Sides Live.

I was quite surprised (and I didn't like very much at first) by the edgy "rock" sound of the three first tracks.

So, I knew the live versions of Dodo and Abacab before the studio ones (because my mum didn't have any album post-Duke, and I didn't know why).

When I finally got Abacab on vinyl, I didn't like very much...

"What ? They cut out the final part of Abacab ? That was the best part, you fools !"

"No Reply At All ? Phil should have kept it for Face Value, it suits him more..."

"Me and Sarah Jane... Ah, finally, a Genesis sounding song."

"Keep It Dark... Another version of Abacab... oh, the chorus is nice actually..."

"Dodo... God, these synths sound awful"

"Who Dunnit... What... What... What the... Hol.. Sh..."

"Man on the Corner... Well, after the previous one, I can appreciate anything, at least it has some musical sense..."

"Like It or Not... Typical Rutherford song, I prefer Your Own Special Way, but it's fine".

"Another Record... Oh, the intro sounds promising... Uh, in fact, I was wrong... Wait, a synth harmonica, really guys ?"

So, it took me some time before appreciating it. Still, it's not my favourite album, but I understand the concept, why it has been made that way, and some songs reached a new level when played on stage (the title track, for example).

It is an important album for the band, they changed the way they were working, they got their own studio... It's the most controversial among fans, and even the band stopped promoting it after 1987.

It's why it's a paradox, essential in their evolution but rejected and forgotten in some way...

Great job of possible setlist spoilering there despite clear guidance from the moderator.

Yeah, I just edited (BIG WARNING !!!!!) my two previous messages to warn people that usapcfan seems to know something, I hope it will be sufficient...

Not my fault, but still, I'm sorry...

JHKM has a pre record, so does Land of Confusion (Sorry missed that off the list earlier). One is pre recorded instrumentation - synth bass line in LOC and the other is a drum machine pattern, think the other songs. Hope this helps

Well, I learned something today...

I always thought the synth bass in LOC was played by Tony on his DX7 in 1986-1987, and by Daryl after (by triggering the synth with his bass, or with a synth pedal or something like that...).

EDIT : usapcfan, if you know anything about rehearsals and performed songs, please put it in "spoiler". Some people who will go to the concert want to be surprised... I'm not concerned, but other people do, and there are some rules that we have to follow (discussing on specific threads only...).

;)

EDIT

WARNING : IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANY SUPPLEMENTARY DETAILS ABOUT THE SETLIST THAT HAS BEEN REHEARSED FOR THE TOUR, DON'T READ THE FOLLOWING MESSAGES, THERE ARE SOME SPOILERS !

STOP HERE...

;)

Plus no major band goes on tour these days without sequencing. That might be okay for the Spice Girls but It sounds too robotic.

It's true, but usually "sequencing" are in fact pre-recorded tracks (backing vocals, supplementary keyboard sounds, usually coming from the album multi-tracks...). But you're right, for nowadays pop bands, because people usually want them to sound exactly like the record. That doesn't mean they don't play a single note on stage. Even Peter Gabriel does it now (for certain keyboard parts, e.g No Self Control, but that doesn't mean he doesn't sing for real, and that none of his musicians plays for real over these tracks...).

But to my knowledge, Phil Collins never did that (what we hear on the Not Dead Yet Tour is all played for real, no supplementary sounds or sequences needed).

And I don't think Genesis will do that either.

Because of that, drummers now need a metronome track to start exactly at the right tempo.

Nic is just diddling about over the top of sequenced beats most of the time!

If you talk about drum machines (Mama, Invisible Touch), ok, but again that doesn't mean that what he has to play is that easy... "Mama" drum part is not "just diddling about over the top"...

Drum machines are the ground for some songs, but you still have to build the house on it.