Posts by Duke of Earl of Mar

One thing that disappoints me a little is the keyboards sounds. When Dave Kerzner revealed he had helped to set up Tony's rig, I was hoping Tony would get better sounds than in 2007 (I'm not an "old analog gear" fetishist, modern keyboards and computers are much more convenient and reliable, and can sound better).

From what I've heard, it sounds very much like 14 years ago, no so good, especially this Cinema Show lead synth.

A Korg Oasys can sound good, so it's really a matter of programming. Maybe they didn't have the time to review and redefine everything because of Covid, so Tony had to reuse the programs he had back then.

Jesus, Duchess, That's All and Lamb. Not bad, very interesting.

Duchess, That's All and Lamb are quite demanding in terms of vocals. Of course, keys will be lowered, but in a way, it's great to have these songs, it's a good sign...

I had no doubts about Nic at all, in fact I was hoping he would "energize" the band.

Also a brief clip of Cinema Show

Sorry, probably a very dumb question but... Where is that ?

Did you actually see it ?

:)

EDIT : Oh I see, there is actually a video on the APT web page... I didn't see it first, because the protection settings are too strong on Firefox, I had to disable it. But I still can't read it, it keeps telling me that there is an error. Probably because I'm in France, not in the US.

It makes my previous answer useless...

Oh wow, song clips! "Mama" sounds creepy in the new key.

American Public Television says : "

Songs performed include “Mama,” “Land of Confusion,” “Throwing It All Away,” and other Genesis classics."

So, no big surprise for now, they are all hits, almost mandatory to play in a "greatest hits tour" perspective.

And don't forget we are in the US here. The band wasn't that big before Follow You Follow Me, and to make American people watch it, I think they had to quote their most commercially known songs.

I hope it will go deeper into their song catalog...

That said, I'm quite surprised of the choice of Mama. I can't see Phil singing it, even by lowering the key. Maybe I'm underestimating his capacities.

This is brave, really.

I hope to see the same kind of bravery for the whole set...

"Ok, guys... Now that we have played Mama, let's do... mhhh... Back In NYC".

^^

From what I've just read in the French press, England seems to go better and better, despite the end of the restrictions. Epidemiologists as well as UK government had predicted a huge amount of new Covid cases, with heavy issues for the NHS, but for now, none of this happened.

"Nobody really understands what's going on" says John Edmunds, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

For those of you who know french, you can read the beginning : https://www.lemonde.fr/planete…ictions_6091131_3244.html

So I really wish it continues to go this way...

What I love about this tour is the overall sound (there are a few soundboard recordings available on Youtube...). Phil Collins has a particularly gigantic drums and percussion kit (even timpani !). The lead sounds coming from Tony's ARP 2600 and Polymoog (first and only time he went on tour with these two) are the ones I prefer. The most curious thing for me is the electric guitar sound coming from both Mike and Daryl. A bit "synthy", if it makes sense to you... Probably because they're using the new synth guitar equipment.

(Yes, I'm a bit of a stage gear nerd, hihi...)

What's interesting (maybe only to me) is that Mike is also playing a guitar, but as he does on the next song, It's Gonna Get Better, he's playing the bass line on it. I started a different thread when I noticed that he did that, but hadn't seen that it's a carryover from Keep It Dark.

Mike plays the Roland GR 500 guitar synthesizer, which consists of an synth module (GR500) and an electric guitar with a special hexaphonic pickup to control the module (GS500, also with conventional pickups for a "normal use"). So the Synth bass comes from the module (and Tony also dubs it).

[Blocked Image: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/uW2ao6KyEQ-0FZbAvBM_chb0sitAdmnbEZgoL8ZdGaLiThJIEjA-r0PtwlBJsn6E657-jfrTZ0KIJFX85mupTjj9RDUPiyKA61EcBjCQ0wS9lyWy8Elhxtk]

This guitar is also seen on the "Follow You Follow Me" music video.

During the 1978-1986 period, Mike used a lot of synth guitar : probably a lot of lead stuff on And Then... (Burning Rope)... was done with the GR 500/GS500 or the G202 (the blue Strat-type guitar seen on the Mama Tour), mixing the normal electric guitar sound with a bit of synth.

[Blocked Image: https://www.joness.com/gr300/pics/G-202/blue/Roland_G-202-Blue_02.jpg]

Mike also used the ARP Avatar module, especially on Duke (album and tour). For example, the riff guitar part of Turn It On Again, the chords part on the instrumental bridge of Ripples (in concert), the rhythm part of Duke's Travels, and a lot on Smallcreep's Day and Acting Very Strange.

[Blocked Image: https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ez8lb1a64yo/WkwwlxywX_I/AAAAAAALWY0/WYcp4GIO3ZE8y49rPxZst0hvf9poZ0OyQCLcBGAs/s1600/2.jpg]

Mike finally used the GR 700 on Invisible Touch, particularly on the beginning of Domino ("In the glow of the night" part), with his custom headless Steinberger guitar.

[Blocked Image: https://www.polynominal.com/roland-gr700/assets/images/roland-gr700-1525x812.jpg]

Daryl surely used the same kind of equipment (Roland G808 guitar on the Mama Tour), but he sold it recently at an auction to support a Wisconsin Hospital I believe.

[Blocked Image: https://img.audiofanzine.com/images/u/product/normal/roland-g-808-61166.jpg]

Some of these statements by various band members don’t seem to add up. Nic says 25 songs made the set which would suggest a longish concert in terms of length, while Mike says he wants the show kept to 2 hours. Meanwhile Tony says given that fans want to hear certain songs (“the hits”) some “old dogs won’t be running.” To me this suggests a setlist that is heavy on shorter “new” songs and light on the classic stuff. Hope I’m wrong.

I was just thinking about that... And at the same time, I would consider it a missed opportunity not to have any surprise (some long/older/never played songs), since it's probably their very last tour.

But maybe it's a matter of age (I mean Nic is very young and probably super enthusiastic, Mike may not want to try too much anymore, and Tony is maybe "over-realistic" ("There is no alternative, we have to play it, anyway it's my song"), and Phil natural positive attitude and energy is probably gone a little with all the troubles he has been through).

I hope they surprise us, the best they can !

As I said before, I discovered Genesis at 7, in January/February 2000. I'm now 28...

Actually, my mum was a fan herself, as she had bought every album from Trespass to Duke on vinyl, during her teenage/young adult years in the 70's. Funnily, she stopped buying new Genesis albums just before Abacab came out. Interesting, because this album was a drastic change for the band (a lot more than ATTWT to my ears). She saw them live in 1998, because the CAS tour went through our town in Normandy (Caen). She also collected the same albums on EMI cassette tapes, which I listened to on my own.

I think the first three albums I discovered were W&W, Nursery Crime, and ATTWT. At first, I think I didn't notice the singer was different, but I felt something weird about the voice ;). My mum gave me the explanation ! From then, I listened to each album my mum had, but not necessarly in the right order. So, for me, when I think about Genesis, it's about the 1970-1980 period. That's why I consider myself as an "old" fan. The only exception was that she also had Three Sides Lives on tape. That tape was brand new, I remember unboxing it and being quite surprised by the beginning of it, as I expected something mellow/romantic... and hearing a quite edgy "rock'n roll" sound, withTurn It On Again, and then Dodo, and finally Abacab.

I discovered the later albums (Abacab > CAS) when we finally suscribed to an Internet access, 10-12 years ago...

Hard question to answer...

I discovered Genesis 21 years ago, as a 7-year-old child.

We had just moved, and a lot of things were still packed in boxes, including our stereo Hifi system, that had to be all set up again.

To allow me to listen to music by myself, my mum quickly took out her old portable cassette player, and chose a tape to test if it was working correctly.

It was Wind and Wuthering. Eleventh Earl of Mar began... and I was like "Wow ! What is that ?", becoming a fan instantly. This tape became one of my favourite to listen to, while reading and getting to sleep, alongside Tales of Mystery and Imagination by Alan Parsons Project, and La Mer by Debussy, played by the Toulouse Capitole Orchestra.

So, Wind and Wuthering would be first.

My favourite period is the "David Hentschel producing" one (so, from Trick to Duke). I love the overall sound of these albums. But Selling England is one of my favourite too.

And as a fan, I learned to appreciate each album, even the ones I didn't like at first (Abacab...).

Today, I think it would something like :

1) Wind and Wuthering

2) Trick of the Tail

3) Selling England

EDIT : actually, a Top 5 would be a lot easier for me.

1) Wind and Wuthering

2) Trick of the Tail

3) Selling England

4) Duke

5) And Then They Were Three

I think the "Land of Confusion" extract comes from the rehearsal, because it is in B minor, and I hear that Phil's voice is kind of dubbed by the backing singers. But "Mama" comes from the album version (it's in E minor, it should have been way lower, if it had come from the rehearsals). I have serious doubts about that song, since the vocals are very demanding, but who knows...

Hello everyone,

New French member and first post here...

I tried to stay "reasonable" for this proposition, and to have each album illustrated by at least one part of a song, except for CAS (sadly, because I think we should all reconsider the songs on this album).

Here is what I came up with :

Eleventh Earl of Mar (very unlikely, but it's a great opener, a little bit forgotten I think, so why not ?)

Land of Confusion (in these current times, it would be highly relevant, and since I saw the giant screen visuals on the Youtube rehearsal teaser, I think it applies to this song)

Duchess (New Duchess ?)

Home By The Sea (we heard the rehearsal on the BBC podcast, so...)

Follow You Follow Me

The Musical Box (again, very unlikely, but since it's probably their last tour and because it is a classic masterpiece...)

Keep It Dark (I had to find a song for the Abacab album, I chose that one, I couldn't think of anything else, apart from maybe Man on the Corner)

Many Too Many (They did have the project of finally playing it, so...)

Domino (of course)

Dance On A Volcano (with live ending in A Major) > The Cinema Show solo (same key of A Major, it should work) > Robbery, Assault and Battery (last part of the solo) or Duke's Travels ending > Afterglow

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway > Supper’s ready (Apocalypse solo -beginning in E Major just like The Lamb ! - and Supper's Ready ending)

I Can’t Dance (it would be a great pun intended since Phil really can't dance anymore, anyway...)

Invisible Touch

**** (applause & encore 1)

I Know What I Like

**** (applause & encore 2)

The Knife (short 1980 version)

What do you think of it ?