Posts by Liquid Len

Restaurants. Please don't serve food ON a napkin on the plate, such as fish in sauce accompanied by salad, as it creates a soggy wad of paper that has to be extracted from under the food and is completely pointless and utterly stupid.

Thank you.

That sounds disgusting. Who wants to be taking bites of food mixed with mushy napkin bits? Especially fish. Gag. As a customer I would be livid. Presentation matters.

I agree with you. I bought them for the sheer enjoyment of the music, since I’m not an audiophile, I don’t care about stereo compression or any of that stuff. I realize that really matters to some fans. The music sounds great to me on the discs for the most part, that’s all I care about.

I think it would be great to re-issue the albums with blu-ray audio in a similar way to Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin's super deluxe boxsets that they have done for the past 10 years.

I became a Genesis fan in 2011, and thankfully discovered the boxsets when they were at the tail end of being available new in stores and online (except for the blue one which was out of production). I do not take these sets for granted because they helped me learn a lot about the band when I was a new fan, and so it would be great to have an updated reissue of these.

Yeah, I got my hands on a set of all five of the boxes about four years ago. I think I got them off of Amazon or EBay, someone sold it to me for close to 1300 US dollars. It must have been Amazon because i did a payment plan and just payed it off in like 6 months. I love them. They should re-release them, they would most likely recoup their costs.

But you know the song isn't specifically referring to sexual assault? I've never understood what that convoluted imagery means, a hairy heart being shaved while a porcupine is being cuddled. Frankly I don't care. One of my top 10 Genesis songs.

IGGB isn't, but I like it a lot and thought it a shame they didn't keep it in their live set longer.

IGGB is a great song, I like it a lot too. I just assumed Back in NYC was about rape since he sings about it. I love the album as a whole, but have always found the meaning behind some of the songs convoluted. The world within PG’s mind is often the stuff of nightmares.

Yes—About The Dividing Line! I never understood why this track did not get more love from fans. It is a great track. It actually bothers me when fans say they have listened to everything the band has put out there, then state that they refuse to listen to this album. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think if you take this album as a Genesis album on its own merit and do not compare it to their previous work, it holds its own for the most part. I can’t defend Small Talk unfortunately.

I love Calling All Stations as an album opener by the way.

14!

Probably the strongest track on the record (along with "The Dividing Line")...

Yes—About The Dividing Line! I never understood why this track did not get more love from fans. It is a great track. It actually bothers me when fans say they have listened to everything the band has put out there, then state that they refuse to listen to this album. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I think if you take this album as a Genesis album on its own merit and do not compare it to their previous work, it holds its own for the most part. I can’t defend Small Talk unfortunately.

I mentioned in my Hi everyone post that I had VIP tickets for Knebworth 92 and I met the band..I was asked to post the background story here 👍

In 1992 aged 22 and a huge Genesis geek I was extremely lucky in acquiring 2x VIP tickets via my Uncle. He worked for Volkswagen (he was in a high up senior position). Volkswagen was tour sponsor and they had built a stand at Knebworth for all the VIP, sponsors etc. We were granted access 2hrs before the main gates were opened, and we could then watch the soundcheck etc😄but when we arrived the stand was placed off to the left and further back from the main stage...this didn't go down very well with me and my best friend. I was clearly showing my displeasure and having a bit of a moan (too far back.....can't see...to many people in suits....moan, moan, moan..wanna be at the front...moan,moan) We were standing by a chap with a white beard, wearing jeans, slightly podgy but a really nice man who must have been in his early 60s ..I thought he was a fan like me and my friend. We started chatting and I started the moaning 🤪 and he seemed concerned and also annoyed I felt that way. He then started asking me some strange questions about Genesis (obviously checking I was a true fan) then he said he will go and sort it..... I didn't think much more of it, we watched the soundcheck (awesome) and Lisa Stanfield ( Support act came on to the stage) This chap came back and said " Come with me"....WTF....So we followed him outside the stand and down the side going towards the stage...I thought what the hells going on? I then found out the chap I was moaning too was Tony Smith ( Genesis Manager ) 🫣 now don't forget this is early internet so I didn't know what Tony look liked... obviously I knew the band but not him. He took me behind the stage area and sat me with again with a wonderful women who was extremely nice and chatty. Again unbeknown to me this was Mike Rutherfords wife...we chatted and she then revealed Mike was actually her husband and I was clearly a massive Fan he may have time to meet me. So my best friend and I tagged along...at first we met Mike & Tony, they were amazingly friendly and Mike asked me if I played any instruments...the drums I replied....Mike laughed " Not another one "....Then Phil appeared and Mike said " This young man plays the drums "....Phil smiling away asked me what kit I play, how long, what heads....he really was interested...all my questions for him just left my head. I then met Chester and Daryl ( both amazing) and Chester said I could sit behind him just of stage and watch the opening song (Land of confusion) it was an amazing experience.

After the first song finished and No son of mine started we were taken by a stagehand to the far side of the front of the crowd and let in by security. We pushed , and squeezed along until we got somewhat near the middle of the stage....I was in heaven.... amazing memories and even now when I meet up with my friend every few years we always smile when thinking about that Day.....😀

Amazing story! What incredible memories for you and your friend. I’ve heard that the band members are pretty humorous in person. They bust each other’s stones, like old friends do, which of course, they are. Thank you for sharing.

Yeah. There was definitely a strong temptation to just “dump” all the songs on an album. I do not think Calling All Stations feels as bloated. It is definitely more pop sounding, but it moves feels like it moves at a faster clip than WCD.

I also think songs like Driving the Last Spike and Dreaming While You Sleep stretch out the album in an unsuspecting way; they go by quickly without realizing you just listened to a 6-8 minute plus song. I really like both songs, and you don’t feel like they are proggy, even though they really are.

Indeed

At the time I wasn't sure if that was a good idea, but basically it also meant you got double albums on vinyl. Later, most artists returned to shorter albums. Bryan Adams even released an album with only 25 minuted ("Get Up"). Genesis themselves did another lengthy one with "Calling All Stations" ...

Yeah. There was definitely a strong temptation to just “dump” all the songs on an album. I do not think Calling All Stations feels as bloated. It is definitely more pop sounding, but it moves feels like it moves at a faster clip than WCD.

I heard that since WCD was the first album completely aligned with the rise of the compact disc, the band went a little overboard with jamming a lot of songs on the cd. Since it was a new medium, they went a little crazy and some tracks that should have been B sides ended up on the album. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, I am not sure where exactly I heard this. Seems to make sense. This album along with Nursery Cryme were the first Genesis albums I listened to in totality, from start to finish. So I have a little bit of a soft spot in my heart for it.

Home By the Sea

The beginning of the second verse, it only lasts for a split second, but that Tony chord that sounds like it’s out of tune, right after the first time Phil sings, “Welcome to the Home by the Sea”….one of my favorite parts of any Genesis song. It’s sounds accidental but it’s perfect; adds to the eeriness of the song.

Hopefully one good thing to come out of the pandemic will be the end of handshakes, a ridiculous and sometimes slightly nauseating custom. Elbow-bumping can sod off too. There's absolutely no need for physical contact when meeting people. A nod, a smile (or in my case a sort of half-scowl) and a a few kind words of greeting are all that's necessary.

Aw, nothing wrong with a good sturdy handshake, and a look straight in the eye. To me it shows respect. At least that’s how I was raised.

Loving this story that the baby on this cover is now suing the surviving two members of the band and Courtney Love on the grounds of child sex abuse. The lawyer has said the image "clearly depicts the baby as a sex worker" and - my favourite bit - that the baby "didn't sign a release for the image".

The lawyer added, "My client has issued the following statement: 'Googoo gagaga.' He won't be taking questions at this time as his nappy needs changing and he's then due for his afternoon nap."

Annnnd the band’s legal team pulls out a waiver his parents signed the day of this photo shoot releasing the band from any indemnity. Game. Set. Match.