Posts by Liquid Len

George trying to use the payphone:

“We’re living in a society!!”

uhhh

quite expensive. Are those box sets sealed / new?

yeah, it’s highway robbery how much people want for these boxed sets. On eBay and even Amazon, one of the boxed sets alone go for 300-400 dollars or more. Insanity.

I see your point, they might have been dried up and we already discussed the possible reasons for that. Personally I feel that way about WCD which has imo 3-4 good songs and nothing more but it is a much longer album. I guess the difference for me is that on Shapes there is at least a classic and there is some energy to it. WCD sounds like they were on autopilot.

In a sense I agree with you. WCD suffered from “cd bloat”, in that this was the early years of the digital age and they probably thought, hey let’s put every song on the album, we got the space for it. In my opinion, they should have just cut out three or four of those middle of the cd songs, and just added On the Shoreline. Cut a 70 something minute album down to 55-60 mins, would have made it stronger. Overall I don’t dislike it as much as some do, but it would still be in the bottom half of overall ranked Genesis albums, IMO. Off track, as this is a thread about Shapes, my apologies.

I like Kruger, of Kruger Industrial Smoothing, another favourite occasional character.

"Our numbers are heading for the red. Or the black. Whichever the bad one is."

"The team doing the statue in Lafayette Square have over-smoothed it and ground its head right down to the size of a softball".

Kruger: George, I'll be honest. I could go either way on you. But what the hell, we need someone, huh.
    George: You won't regret this, sir.

Kruger: I don't care.

Haha Kruger was hilarious.

Taking a look at the results, confirms what I've always thought, side A of this album is probably one of the best 3-man era moments, with the exception of Duke, of course. Side B reverts a bit to the Abacab mode, sort of: ''let's throw stuff at he wall and see what sticks''. Very little imo..

I really like It’s Gonna Get Better; it’s really grown on me recently.

I have to go with:

Home by the Sea

Just a Job to Do

It’s Gonna Get Better

You guys know how there are those little moments in Genesis songs that are just so cool? They may only last for a couple seconds. That part in Home by the Sea, when it starts into the second verse, right at the beginning is what sounds like a piano chord, love the way that sounds. It almost sounds like it doesn’t fit, but it fits perfect. Of course the ‘images of sorrow, pictures of delight’ verse is brilliant imagery.

Not bad. In London for the first time since October to try restarting the process of attempting to sell our flat. In the middle of a 2 week stay here, enjoying seeing family and friends and getting some theatre time in. You OK?

I’m ok. Under a lot of pressure at work. Took a temporary director of nursing position with the company I currently work for, to help them out while they wait for the permanent director to start in a few weeks. Lot of stress, calls all hours of the night. But I get to go back to my regular position by the third week of July, and then some much needed vacation. Time with family and friends is always good for the soul, that’s sounds nice.

It was dropped after New Zealand and never got played on the Australian leg. There is a recording of that last performance and you can hear Phil's poor voice breaking a number of times in Apocalypse and ASAEIE. He clearly gets rattled in Apocalypse as he completely messes up the words also:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

That’s tough to listen to, but I guess expected as he had been singing his heart out for an entire decade at that point. I’ve always thought Apocalypse sounded like an incredibly demanding vocal piece, even on the album, Peter sounds like he’s straining. Singing like a banshee like that for years on end will inevitably do permanent damage. Same thing happened to Robert Plant.

Hey LL. Are you in PA? I thought you may have mentioned PA in one of your posts. The reason I’m bringing it up is to ask you if you’ve ever seen the Genesis cover bands that play the Keswick Theater just outside Philly? In addition to the renowned cover band the Musical Box I’ve seen the cover band The Genesis Show several times. They cover the 1976-1982 era and put on a helluva show. I’m proud to say that I’ve converted my girlfriend into a hardcore Genesis freak. We are seeing the MB in November a week after we see Genesis in Washington, DC (we live on the lower eastern shore of MD) and have tix for TGS as well, though that show is still being rescheduled. Long story short if you haven’t seen those bands (especially the Genesis Show) I highly recommend checking them out!

Hi! Yes I’m from outside of Philadelphia. I can honestly say that I’ve never seen a Genesis cover band, but would love too! I was looking for when the Musical Box may be playing again, that’s good to know. I’ll have to check them out. I’ve heard that they are top notch!