Posts by Liquid Len

On most of these polls, I have a hard time limiting myself to just 3 favorites. On this one, it's quite the opposite....I had a very hard time finding 3 to pick. In the end, I went with No Son of Mine, Jesus He Knows Me and Dreaming While You Sleep. Not trying to be difficult, but I just can't get into this album at all.

That seems to be a common theme among the fan base; that they’re split on this album. Some look at it as a rousing triumph, while others look at it as the wheels starting to fall off. I think that the album does suffer a little from CD bloat. They put everything on it, whereas if this album was released 4 or 5 years earlier on vinyl, some of those songs would have been cut or relegated to b sides. I do think they should have put On the Shoreline on the album and maybe cut a couple other tracks. Overall, it’s a solid effort from a band we all love.

Nursery Cryme is amazing. I also thought that they were co lead vocals on Harold the Barrel with Peter and Phil, as opposed to Phil doing a backing track. Hogweed has this menacing feel all the way through it, of course we’re talking about a killer plant here, which makes it hilarious at the same time. When Peter opens with, “Turn and Run!” I think that’s fantastic. The Musical Box is a gem, I love watching that version from the ‘72 Belgian TV show. Peter going nuts with the tambourine, and Phil on drums. When Steve does that screaming guitar part going into the instrumental section, it’s just awesome. Hard to believe they were like 21 when they made this album. For Absent Friends is a beautiful little song, very Beatles-esque. Seven Stones grows on me the more I listen to it. Harlequin and Fountain are solid songs, with the latter probably being my least favorite on the album.

Driving the Last Spike

No Son of Mine

Tell Me Why

I also really like Jesus He Knows Me. This is the first Genesis album I remember buying on my own. I would listen to it over and over, and watch the videos to the songs on VH1. Dreaming While You Sleep is great too, although really sad. Don’t know why this album gets a bad rap sometimes.

Bring a newbie here this has likely been beat to death long before my little ole arrival this week, but I have to say, the “Sum of the Parts” interviews I’ve watched online, man....awkward. Tony starts up on the Lamb and Peter starts shifting in his seat looking uncomfortable....Steve mentions struggling to be heard as a songwriter and the three look put off. It was tense and odd. I do wish they could’ve made one final go of it as a group. But Pete’s voice isn’t what it was and poor Phil looks so frail. God bless him. I hope the tour isn’t too tough on him!

Yes, there are definitely some awkward moments in that documentary. I’m sure that stung Peter when Tony said he didn’t really like the Lamb, being as the Lamb is kind of Peter’s baby. It seems like they didn’t give Steve his proper due in the documentary with regards to him leaving. It definitely influenced their sound on ATTWT. It’s like the documentary was uneven. They talked for 20 seconds about Selling England, and skipped Wind and Wuthering entirely. The best part of the documentary was Phil’s humor, especially talking about tensions in the band and little squabbles they would have. Phil was really funny.

Thanks Christian. For me it’s Seconds Out and The Way We Walk, The Shorts. Seconds Out is a such a powerful live album. It rocks. Phil really gives it his all.
    I picked the Shorts for more of a nostalgic reason. I had it as a kid, and I loved the back and forth “de da lay!!” on Throwing it all Away. I would just picture myself there. I know it’s corny in some ways and fans who have seen them multiple times are tired of that, but I’m hoping they do it on this coming concert. Also Invisible Touch. Great rendition.

I jumped on the site about 0955am, and it immediately placed me into a Queue, and there I sat for like 5 or 6 mins. I then got into the site, but still had to wait my turn. After a few more minutes it gave me access to the tickets, but I only had 8 minutes to complete my purchase. And there was literally a clock in the lower corner of the screen! So I frantically tried to look at what was available and match it with what I wanted to spend. I found what I wanted, then went to the next screen where it said put your username and password in. So I’m thinking it’s talking about the username and password to the Ticketmaster website. I put it in, wrong. Ok. I try again, incorrect username and password. Now I’m starting to panic as I have less than five minutes. I then realize I need a separate username and password for the Wells Fargo website, which is the arena where the concert is taking place. So I quick register for the website, and then frantically put my payment information in to pay for the tickets. I competed the purchase. Maybe like one minute to spare. Got seats in Section 105, row 4 at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly for December 2nd. Cost me about 175 bucks a ticket. I was definitely sweating it out. I’m doing this right after I just found out I have a fairly large kidney stone in my left kidney this morning. Fun times!

I got a copy of a Lamb show from January ‘75 in West Palm Beach, FL. Some of it sounds really good, other parts sound crappy and like it cuts out. Don’t know if that was the band working out kinks early on in the tour or the recording itself. I’d like to collect more.

I like Who Dunnit? It’s so weird and out there, and I love the last 5 seconds, where it just spirals into that dead stop before sliding into MOTC, very satisfying. Genesis was always great with transitioning between songs and knowing how long to take a pause. Also great with sequencing their albums beautifully.