Posts by Liquid Len

Yes Genesis and Led Zeppelin, my top two -and the two greatest bands to grace our planet in my humble opinion. Beautiful, powerful, and hauntingly majestic music.

I agree that everyone in this forum seems pretty cool and accommodating. I’ve only been a member on here for maybe a week and half. I’ve never seen Genesis live but it doesn’t seem like that is a qualifying factor for having to be apart of this forum. For me, I was two young in ‘86 and ‘92, and just couldn’t get to a concert in ‘07 because of where I was at in my life. I think a lot of people In their late thirties and early-mid 40’s may be in the same boat. If they do come to the states on this next tour, I’m determined to see them. In the end, it doesn’t diminish my love for the band.

Someone on here with more insight than I might be able to give you an accurate answer. I remember getting this album as a Christmas present from my Dad. I was probably 9 or 10 at the time. I was obsessed with Phil Collins’s solo stuff, and the Genesis stuff off of Invisible Touch. I had Serious Hits! Live, I played that CD so much I probably wore it down to nothing . When I got Nursery Cryme and played it for the first time, I was confused. Wait a minute this is Genesis, this sounds nothing like Tonight, Tonight, Tonight, or Something Happened on the Way to Heaven. I would play it occasionally, but it wasn’t until I was older that I really appreciated it for what it is. Like you said, it’s complex, yet simplistic. It’s funny in a dark comedy type of way. To me it’s in their top three or four albums, and a classic prog album.

I remembering buying CAS when it was released. Also here in Philadelphia, local stations played the hell out of Congo. I really enjoyed the album, and still to this day feel that they gave up too easily on their new sound. To me, CAS was darker and heavier than what came before it, and they could have really ran with that mood. The music reminded me of Brother Cain, Fools Shine On. It had that type of feel to it. It was the late nineties after all, alternative music was darker and heavier than the some of the music of the earlier part of the decade. I also love The Dividing Line, and the Title Track. Not About Us is my favorite ballad on the album.

Being born in ‘79, I wasn’t a thought in my parents mind. This is always in my top two favorite Genesis albums. The other one may rotate out, but this stays top two. I love White Mountain, Stagnation, and the Knife. That pause between Dusk and The Knife before it barrels into the Knife’s intro is perfection. I could imagine people in the UK and Europe listening to this album for the first time being lulled into a peaceful trance by the closing notes of Dusk, and then hearing the intro to The Knife roar out from their turntable or headphones and being like, what the.....

You know what’s funny, for years I only focused on his albums up through and including But Seriously. I heard his various singles on his later albums on the radio. I listened to this album a few weeks ago and heard Wear My Hat for the first time and can’t get enough of it. It’s great. And the video is hilarious with Danny Devito.

Yeah I have to agree with everybody. The album is sooo good. It’s hard to pick just three. But I would go with Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, I Know What I Like, and More Fool Me. I love the lines “Young man says you are what you eat, eat well. Old man says you are what you wear, wear welllll! Know what you are, you don’t give a damn...”

To add another thought, which I believe may have been mentioned on Tabletop Genesis, if ATOTT had bombed, they may have called it quits right then and there. And we wouldn’t have had all the great 80’s music from the band to discuss. Plus it’s well known that they auditioned many singers to replace PG. Phil wasn’t even entirely comfortable in the front man role at first, as he didn’t initially have the showmanship that Peter had. I have to tell you guys though, man would I have loved to have been alive and old enough to see Genesis in the 1970’s. That’s one of the things I’m hoping to enjoy from this forum, listening to stories from people who experienced the band in their heyday.

Hey Everybody. New to your group. I just wanted to say that I’m grateful to have found this place to share my love for Genesis with like minded folks! I don’t have really anybody in my circle of friends or family that shares my passion. Look forward to chatting with you all.