Posts by Art Vandaley

Well we are heading into the holiday season. Commence the Feats of Strength and the Airing of the Grievances!

Frank: And at the Festivus dinner you gather your family around and tell them all the ways they have disappointed you over the past year.

Kramer: And is there a tree?

Frank: No. Instead there's a pole. Requires no decoration. I find tinsel distracting.

Abacab doesn’t remind me much of W&W BUT Eleventh Earl was the song that immediately came to my mind as well as the song most like it... if that makes sense. In terms of it being Hacketty... a lot of Mike’s guitar playing in Genesis demonstrates inspiration from hackett, especially early on. I don’t personally hear much Hacketty going on w/ Abacab but I respect that you do.

Hackett has mentioned that he could’ve added slide guitar and that would’ve been very interesting. There’s lots of Genesis tribute bands out there but are there any that try to explore what an 80s 5 or 4 man genesis would sound like? I would love to hear someone try a Hackett slide guitar arrangement of Abacab.

Or imagine Steve Howe gigging on that song abs doing his pedal steel! 😜🤓

No I get you meant the song, and while I personally won't mock you for it I personally just don't see anything whatsoever about the song that would make it fit on W&W. But hey, different perceptions are one of the beauties of music.

EDIT: PS - As well as not seeing any Abacab/W&W similarity you've also lost me on the Kenobi comparison!

I’m sure if I took the song “Eleventh Earl of Mar” off W&W, and advocated putting it on there, someone would say, “nahhh. It’s too over the top for WW. Those flamboyant guitars and blaring keyboards. Bad fit!” Or if you never heard “Your Own Special Way,” you’d think it’s way too lovey-dovey pop bubble gum for WW. Strummy guitar tune aimed at chicks thirsty for ballads. You could argue, “Blood on the Rooftops doesn’t belong on WW. It’s too cynical and about contemporary issues of the 1970’s while the other songs are more historical. Bad fit.” You could argue “All in a Mouse’s Night” is too comical, too goofy, not dignified like the other songs.”

I dare say we could argue anything could be removed. The titular Abacab may have a bit of a crunchy synth sound, but it seems that Hackett liked it as his favorite post-Hackett song, so it has something Hacketty to it. I think it had an energy to it that would fit fine. But he’ll, what do I know!? 🤣

No I get you meant the song, and while I personally won't mock you for it I personally just don't see anything whatsoever about the song that would make it fit on W&W. But hey, different perceptions are one of the beauties of music.

EDIT: PS - As well as not seeing any Abacab/W&W similarity you've also lost me on the Kenobi comparison!

You said , “There's a phrase I haven't heard for a few decades!

Obi wan in Star Wars Ep 4 said, “Obi-Wan Kenobi? Obi-Wan….Now there's a name I've not heard in a long, long time. A long time.

There's a phrase I haven't heard for a few decades!

I'm genuinely astonished anyone would think this. Oh hang on - you're being satirical...?!

Your first point sounds like Obi Wan Kenobi. And no, I’m not being satirical. I think you could put the song ABACAB into W&W and it would be a good fit. I never thought the whole album ABACAB would fit, just the actual song. I’ll now sit down and prepare to be mocked. 😜😜😜😂😂😂

I'll take what I can get. My view is I'd rather hear 3 minutes of Cinema Show than all of In Too Deep or Hold on My Heart.

I just want to hear about erogenous zones, flies on windshields, yellow plastic shooby doobs, promising daddies, uni fauns, chocolate surprises, a lizard shedding its tail, hermaphroditus, riding majestic, and chambers with at least 32 doors.

Abacab is one of the only post-Hackett songs I genuinely really like. I’m a Peter era fan through and through. The stuff they did after Hackett that was more lovey-dovey pop commercial wasn’t my thing as much though some of it appeals to me if I’m in a soft rock mood here and there. Abacab feels like they were trying to get back to their Trick/W&W sound.

I'm imagining "seedy parts" of California as being the sorts of places where the avocados are within a day of their sell-by date! :)

Think again!! Here in California, we invented gangs, homeless, drug addiction, the smell of piss in the streets, and general skid row fun. LA, Oakland, and Sacramento are where Steve is going….and the parts of town he’s playing at are best left to Kevlar vests and you ideally should bring a Glock to protect yourself there 😂😂😜😜

🤨 It's neither.

But it's the 2nd reference to "Yes West" I've recently seen. What's that?

From 1968 or so to 1980 you had a progressive rock Yes. People came and went, but the music was pure prog goodness!

Jon Anderson

Chris Squire

Bill Bruford then Alan White

Tony Kaye then Rick Wakeman (mostly)

Steve Howe

In 1980 Yes was over. Squire and White were all that was left. They met with Jimmy Page to attempt a new band—-XYZ (ex—Yes Zeppelin). It didn’t pan out. Page went to The Firm.

Squire and White met Trevor Rabin and they started a project of mostly Trevor-penned more mainstream rock songs. They started a band, named it “Cinema.” Enter Tony Kaye returning on keyboards and Squire asking Jon Anderson to return and you have a Cinema band that was really mostly Yes Men….so, they reformed Yes. Because they didn’t record in Europe as the prog era version did, they were LA-based, more popish and radio friendly, people called them Big Generator Yes or YesWest. West Coast, mainstream sound, big hits, radio friendly, less proggy.