Posts by Art Vandaley

I’m excited to hear the final interview!

I emailed Steve during the quarantine abs we had a fun back and forth. So accessible and thoughtful to fans. He sent me an autograph.

I’d love Peter Gabriel’s autograph but fear he’s about as inaccessible as it gets.

i can hardly wait to listen!!! I’m envious, Christian!

yeah what bugged me is they didn’t show Steve playing Firth of Fifth but they showed Daryl playing it!? That’s like having a Yes documentary showing Trevor Rabin doing Steve Howes stuff while Steve is talking =O

Yes, there are definitely some awkward moments in that documentary. I’m sure that stung Peter when Tony said he didn’t really like the Lamb, being as the Lamb is kind of Peter’s baby. It seems like they didn’t give Steve his proper due in the documentary with regards to him leaving. It definitely influenced their sound on ATTWT. It’s like the documentary was uneven. They talked for 20 seconds about Selling England, and skipped Wind and Wuthering entirely. The best part of the documentary was Phil’s humor, especially talking about tensions in the band and little squabbles they would have. Phil was really funny.

Bring a newbie here this has likely been beat to death long before my little ole arrival this week, but I have to say, the “Sum of the Parts” interviews I’ve watched online, man....awkward. Tony starts up on the Lamb and Peter starts shifting in his seat looking uncomfortable....Steve mentions struggling to be heard as a songwriter and the three look put off. It was tense and odd. I do wish they could’ve made one final go of it as a group. But Pete’s voice isn’t what it was and poor Phil looks so frail. God bless him. I hope the tour isn’t too tough on him!

My frustration is that Genesis really only values their stuff mostly from Duke onward. Their concerts are the “hits” as Tony calls them, and medleys of the old school stuff or stuff like Carpet Crawlers. Their greatest hits album had just a couple Peter era nods.

I am a big fan of Steve Hackett. We went back and forth a bit, he and I, during the early COVID19 shutdown on emails, and he sent me an autograph. I was having a blast with that. Steve’s band is fun. I bought a couple of his blue ray concerts. I just don’t see any vintage Peter era concerts on dvd. I get on YouTube and see some neat restored stuff, but nothing one can buy? I’d love to find such things!!!

I have a slouch of Yes dvd concerts, zero Genesis from back in the day.

Even though Steve Howe and Jon Anderson parted ways and remain at a weird impasse, Yes has had a bunch of lousy up’s and downs, but they still have been together off and on enough to create some recent enough magic. Genesis, however, the version I prefer, was disappearing the year I was born, 1975. And since then, the three guys have moved Genesis history around the pop sensibilities. I wish there was more balance.

Welcome aboard. I found Genesis around 1979. A mate of mine kept going on about them and coincidentally my brother gave me Genesis Live as he was bored of it. That was what hooked me, especially Hogweed and The Knife, although The Musical Box is the best track. I shared my mate’s disappointment with And Then There Were Three but gradually bought all albums up to Wind and Wuthering and now have everything they’ve done, including all the box sets and most of the solo output. I’m firmly in the pre- 78 camp if I had to choose but I also like most of what came after and some tracks of the later period still scale the heights of the earlier times I think, I also really like some of the shorter songs. We are lucky as fans to have such a rich catalogue to dip in and out of. I still feel the band do not do us justice - lack of a decent website, available archive material for younger fans and set lists that are not representative of their whole career- but they have still given me so much entertainment, humour, solace and comfort over the years of my adult life - so nothing to be bitter about! I just wish younger fans could get hold of box sets etc as I was able to. Having said that many listen online now anyway I guess. Enjoy your time on the forum!

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post ever here. I might be a weird outlier in that I began liking Genesis as a kid and liked Land of Confusion, Invisible Touch, Throwing it All Away, Abacab, etc. I had no idea they were ever a complex, experimental, intricate prog band. I knew nothing of the Pete years.

In high school I became a Yes and Rush fan through a friend. I steadily got into prog. Yes is the band that truly reeled me in and hooked me. Later I found out about the 1970’s Genesis. It was pure bliss! What a band!!!!

My favorite years are the Nursery Cryme through Wind & Wuthering albums. Peter and Steve years....epic, out of this world, brilliant, mind-blowing! They are the only band I enjoy as much as Yes.

I don’t understand the Pete vs. Phil stuff. I don’t hate the pop years. I thank them for being my introduction to this group of legends, but when it comes to prog Genesis vs. pop Genesis, it doesn’t even come close for me!!! Just my two cents.