Posts by BassAnd12Man

If I may slip in a comment on this thread about the US leg of tour, the big fear here is that the trends will follow a pattern that has been with us since the outbreak of the pandemic: a major holiday = a major spike in cases. We just completed the Labor Day holiday and the expectations are the inevitable spike will follow. We are already at a very high daily rate of new cases, hospitalizations, and deaths—the highest since the first major surge. I’m banking on the fact that the date of the show I’m attending (Nov 18th in DC) is neatly situated between what should be a decline in cases following the Labor Day spike and the next spike, which will come after Thanksgiving (November 25th).

My hope is that mask wearing becomes mandatory in large indoor venues. Of course, it won't; the usual "you are strongly encouraged to wear a mask" BS. I'm seeing them in Philly in early December which is just about perfect timing post-Thanksgiving.... I actually feel worse for the band and crew. Phil, especially, given his frail state, needs to be ultra cautious as it wouldn't take much to put him out of commission, I suspect...

Thanks for posting. Not too many songs were surprising, which might be the most disappointing part for me but it is what it is.... The stage show is amazing. I'm actually really saddened to see Phil's state. He sounds slightly neurologically impaired (his speech is slow and borderline slurred in spots). The other 2 guys have aged incredibly well. I wish him all the best. It'll be fun, regardless. Take care.

I thought Phil wanted to try it but Mike refused as he "can't remember" the guitar tuning for the opening section.

that's bee Mike's reason for not playing some early material since at least the Mama tour. No doubt some truth in it but I know at least two guitarists he could ask....if he wanted.

I don't think there's any evidence that they got as far as finding out if Phil could handle the whole song. Tony wanted it. Phil was up for trying. Mike was not. Mike won.

From high to low: e-e, b-b, g-e, d-a, g-g, d-d. Done. Now play it lol.

More evidence that not getting vaccinated is not simply a matter of individual rights: my girlfriend’s co-worker has refused to get vaccinated. The co-worker just tested positive and is showing symptoms. Now they have to close down the business at least for the rest of the week. My gf is a massage therapist at an upscale spa in a resort town. No customers = no income for this week. Thank you selfish dingbat co-worker.

Interestingly, more and more employers (in the US) are requiring vaccination or making it really inconvenient if you're not (daily Covid tests for example for the unvaccinated and masks). Given the libertarian streak that is very strong in the US, I foresee class action lawsuits on the horizon. Not sure how they'll end up though.....

I used to play all of those songs in the Genesis Show. They each have their intricacies. The tough part about 9/8 is the fact that the keyboard solo is in 4/4 and everything else is in 9/8. As someone who played the 12-string and Taurus pedal part, you almost have to shut out what everybody else is playing. Supper's Ready is not terribly hard to play, otherwise, other than it's friggin' long lol. It's almost like playing 4-5 songs in a row. Los Endos is OK, again I never thought it was that hard from the 12-string/bass perspective; it's a reprise of Dance and Squonk. Firth is a really fun one to play; such beautiful melodies.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

You want? Try Robbery, Assault and Battery. That one made me sweat every time lol.

I used to play all of those songs in the Genesis Show. They each have their intricacies. The tough part about 9/8 is the fact that the keyboard solo is in 4/4 and everything else is in 9/8. As someone who played the 12-string and Taurus pedal part, you almost have to shut out what everybody else is playing. Supper's Ready is not terribly hard to play, otherwise, other than it's friggin' long lol. It's almost like playing 4-5 songs in a row. Los Endos is OK, again I never thought it was that hard from the 12-string/bass perspective; it's a reprise of Dance and Squonk. Firth is a really fun one to play; such beautiful melodies.

I'm assuming that the Many too Many rumor traces back to '07 rehearsals when Banks was pushing for that or Blood on the Rooftops. As far as other bits, I urge everyone ot re-listen to the Nic Collins interview(s). he also mentions that the more complicated bits were dropped form the setlist. I would definitely put 9/8 in that bucket. We'll find out if/when the tour proceeds :).

From what I've just read in the French press, England seems to go better and better, despite the end of the restrictions. Epidemiologists as well as UK government had predicted a huge amount of new Covid cases, with heavy issues for the NHS, but for now, none of this happened.

"Nobody really understands what's going on" says John Edmunds, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.

For those of you who know french, you can read the beginning : https://www.lemonde.fr/planete…ictions_6091131_3244.html

So I really wish it continues to go this way...

Merci. It doesn't hurt that 75% of the UK adult population is fully vaccinated. There's a point where that number + those with a built-up immunity due to having had Covid-19, has to slow case numbers down drastically ("herd immunity"). I realize that delta is throwing a wrench in some of this, as will other variants likely to rear their ugly heads in the year to come... Fingers crossed...

I stand corrected. I always thought it was mylar. I've never heard of micron. What's more interesting is that this concept of rotating lighting really gave way to the idea of varilights 2-3 years later. And those were a mess during the Abacab tour also apparently. It looked great form where I was standing but the band moaned about how often they broke down and needed to be replaced. People forget how instrumental Genesis was in concert sound and lighting.

I saw this tour at the Montreal Forum in July of '78. It was not called the "mirrors tour" lol. By the way, they weren't mirrors. It was mylar (the same stuff they use to make inflatable balloons) stretched across gambles that rotated. They would shoot lights on these mylar frames and reorient the lights accordingly. Think of it as primitive varilights lol. What I most enjoyed about this tour is the chances Genesis token their setlist. Fountain of Salamis, In the Cage, Ripples were songs that had either never been played live or not played for some time (3-4 years). They became much more predictable on future tours. The lasers were also cool in '78 and an expansion what they had done on the previous 2 tours. All great memories, though admittedly sketchy ones 43 years later.

G-i-m-b-a-l-s

I saw this tour at the Montreal Forum in July of '78. It was not called the "mirrors tour" lol. By the way, they weren't mirrors. It was mylar (the same stuff they use to make inflatable balloons) stretched across gambles that rotated. They would shoot lights on these mylar frames and reorient the lights accordingly. Think of it as primitive varilights lol. What I most enjoyed about this tour is the chances Genesis token their setlist. Fountain of Salamis, In the Cage, Ripples were songs that had either never been played live or not played for some time (3-4 years). They became much more predictable on future tours. The lasers were also cool in '78 and an expansion what they had done on the previous 2 tours. All great memories, though admittedly sketchy ones 43 years later.

A story I just saw on CNN has me majorly bummed over the prospects for the DC concert specifically and the US leg in general. A growing number of acts are postponing or considering postponing tours in the States. Limp Bizkit has postponed their tour and Garth Brooks is considering postponing his stadium tour. An indoor Genesis show a week before Thanksgiving seems increasingly doubtful to me :(

With only 50% or so of Americans vaccinated to date and wide geographic divergences, I also have my serious doubts as to whether this tour will happen.... anywhere. They can't start cobbling dates based on cities that may or may not be "open for business". I can only imagine the astronomical expenses associated with a tour of this magnitude. I think that looking at what other acts are doing will be very enlightening in this regard. Many have already pushed their dates well into 2022 and some, even in 2023! Aren't we living in fun times? Fingers crossed that things improve for everyone.

Despite this dismissive label I suspect there'll be more of what you call "bandwagon fans" than you think at these gigs.

We'll see..... It wasn't meant as a dismissive comment but an objective statement. Genesis, in the late '80s was "the" band to see along with many others that have come and gone. In fact, many fans routinely confused Phil Collins (solo) and Genesis in their respective heydays.

Since Genesis has a completely different setup with a de facto a single drummer a la 1970-1975, it does open up a number of possibilities. However, Genesis being Genesis (not the most adventurous bunch when it comes to setlists), I'm not expecting much in terms of surprises. Why they feel like they need to play every hit is a mystery to me as many of those bandwagon fans are long gone.... As far as '07 goes, it was a bit... underwhelming. While I understand that aging affects the old vocal chords which results in rekeying some songs, the power lost in doing so can be quite dramatic. I remember listening to Ripples and thinking that it was totally flat in 2007 compared to '78, '80, etc. As much as some of us would like to hear some real surprises, I'm not holding my breath. As obvious as this might sound, it dawned on me this weekend how old all my teenage music idols are (from the '70s) and how I need to temper my expectations, despite the $700 I shelled out for 2 tickets lol. I'm knocking on 60 myself and to ask me to do things I routinely did when I was 20 might lead to an interesting result lol. Imagine 71 year olds... I'm almost viewing this tour as an opportunity for old and new school Genesis fans to reunite, share a couple of fun hours one last time and close the book once and for all. Cheers.

It's a peculiar situation. In most countries the vocal minority opposed to vaccines and other public health measures is just that - a minority. But in the US, some states have a majority that vehemently oppose these measures, and have surging cases and hospitalizations, while other states like in New England have vaccination rates comparable to the best in the world. Not sure such a patchwork of philosophy and culture is so manifest anywhere else and will be interesting to see if the surge spills over into well protected areas. As such, there is no real firewall between them, I'm not aware of any restrictions across state lines.

Welcome to America...... 50 different countries.

Yeah. This is all a shame. Especially since the guys are not getting any younger here. They have the two shows scheduled for Philadelphia at the beginning of December. Things are not getting any better here in the states either. It might turn out that the US leg is the beginning of the tour, followed by the UK dates in 2022. Im just speculating, we will have to wait and see.

Liquid Len, things are really getting ugly in parts of the US with the delta variant. No one has a crystal ball but anything and everything could happen at this point. I suspect the US will be in for a resurgence over the next 6-8 weeks, at least, especially if vaccination rates don't pick up. I hope I'm wrong.

Speaking of which..... From a Quebec talk show many years ago.....

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.