Posts by BassAnd12Man

the target group for this release surely are not the die hard fans. It isn’t that unusual to have a new compilation after not being on tour for 14 years

Then it's going to be an awfully small "target group". A casual listener is probably not going to plunk down $$ to buy (yet another) compilation. Now, if it's part of a broader marketing strategy to increase ticket sales (I thought the shows were mostly sold out anyway?), I suppose there's some justification for that. Clealry, I"m bored if I'm micro-analyzing a greatest hits package lol.

That's always my biggest (and expected)fear with all the bands that I loved and listened to in the '70s. They're all getting very old (as am I cough cough) so my hope is always to hear them one last time. I"m actually shocked that Genesis is touring as I was sure 2007 was "it" (pardon the pun).

No, but my take on it was he was talking more about some of the 70s prog stuff. BTW re: Illegal Alien I stumbled across a review yesterday from the New York Times of the Mama tour. Interestingly the reviewer mentioned Illegal Alien as a highlight of the show. He also liked Mama, That’s All, and Home by the Sea. Funny thing he never mentioned a single title for any of the older stuff they played that night, simply complimenting Phil for using banter to lighten up the heaviness of the band’s “art rock” songs. I honestly got the impression that the guy’s knowledge of the band’s music began with Abacab.

It kind of makes me laugh that they talk about "dated" material. The "freshest" material is 30 years old! To me, all of Invisible Touch sounds dated but others might disagree. Just play what you feel like playing and in a nod to your fans, balance the setlist between "old" and "really old" material. The (spoiler) set mentioned is a great opportunity to play or reimagine stuff that they haven't touched in a long time. I also wouldn't mind never hearing In the Cage again. It was stunning in '78 (and weird as a standalone track - that was my thought during the show I attended), great in '80 but then it got old really quickly. My quick thoughts.

No, but my take on it was he was talking more about some of the 70s prog stuff. BTW re: Illegal Alien I stumbled across a review yesterday from the New York Times of the Mama tour. Interestingly the reviewer mentioned Illegal Alien as a highlight of the show. He also liked Mama, That’s All, and Home by the Sea. Funny thing he never mentioned a single title for any of the older stuff they played that night, simply complimenting Phil for using banter to lighten up the heaviness of the band’s “art rock” songs. I honestly got the impression that the guy’s knowledge of the band’s music began with Abacab.

Sounds like Patrick Bateman (American Psycho) lol.

I agree 100% about the Musical Box. Given the fact that most of the time they are either doing the LLDOB tour or SEBTP tour I’ve wondered how the band doesn’t get bored out of its skull playing the same music note for note and telling the same Gabriel-era stories word for word for nearly 30 years. To their credit they are mixing things up on their current tour, with the first half of the show being stuff from ATOTT thru ATTWT and the second half being Gabriel-era material. That decision to mix things up may be a product of financial necessity. The last couple of times I saw them doing the SEBTP tour (this was prior to Covid) the theater was maybe 2/3 full. Prior to that every show I saw them perform was sold out.

Probably quite true. As an uber mega Genesis fan (I actually study all the parts), even I got slightly bored watching, for example, my 5th SEBTP tour concert from TMB. They are also officially licensed by Genesis, i.e., I'm guessing that they need to pay them some pretty significant royalties to use their slides and other props. Maybe all of this is contributing (in addition to boredom - I know I would be) to the change-up that they're exploring in the current tour. The downside is that they sort of lose their raison d'être by doing so - people associate TMB with an exact replica of an old Genesis show. Doing a "best of" detracts from that. There are pros and cons of course. Take care, Andre.

Speaking as someone who was in a Genesis Tribute band (that's me on the double neck, 12-string and bass in the above posted video of the Genesis Show), it's hard to pick a "best" tribute band and in fact, I would avoid doing so. If you want to relive EXACTLY what Genesis produced in the early '70s, then it's hard to beat the Musical Box. But I view them almost as a Broadway show (I don't mean this disparagingly) in that everything is exactly the same, night after night after night. They literally reproduce (or used to anyway) ONE show in a given tour. The other band names mentioned are much more "live" and "loose", if that makes any sense, definitely the way Genesis were back in the day, IMHO. So a mix of both types is really cool; I hope you encourage all these bands as they pour their soul and sweat in reproducing very complex music. Cheers.

I too am holding out hope for hearing the first half of Cinema Show. With a key change and/or the backing vocalists handling those high harmonies I think it's a great new old song to bring back.

I know Mike forgot/hasn't been motivated to figure out the 12-string tunings but I can't believe Daryl couldn't do it if asked. It isn't the formula for Coca Cola we're talking about, and quite a few tribute bands have seemed to figure it out just fine...

It's not the tuning that's the issue, it's the part! I used to play it and will confidently say it was the toughest 12-string part to play, especially the bit that starts with "take a little trip back". Fingers are spread unbelievably.....

Hey LL. Are you in PA? I thought you may have mentioned PA in one of your posts. The reason I’m bringing it up is to ask you if you’ve ever seen the Genesis cover bands that play the Keswick Theater just outside Philly? In addition to the renowned cover band the Musical Box I’ve seen the cover band The Genesis Show several times. They cover the 1976-1982 era and put on a helluva show. I’m proud to say that I’ve converted my girlfriend into a hardcore Genesis freak. We are seeing the MB in November a week after we see Genesis in Washington, DC (we live on the lower eastern shore of MD) and have tix for TGS as well, though that show is still being rescheduled. Long story short if you haven’t seen those bands (especially the Genesis Show) I highly recommend checking them out!

Thank you :). Former bassist/12-string guitarist of the Genesis Show.

For me, unequivocally, 1977, with W&W and that tour. That was my first Genesis show I saw and it was tighter than (fill-in-the-blanks).... Having also played the W&W album in The Genesis Show, I can tell you that it's one of their most dense, complex albums, in terms of songs, arrangements, etc. That album stands up to any previous Genesis album.

As weird as it is to see 2 backup vocalists in a Genesis tour, there's a reason they're there. While my first gut reaction was "WTF?", I"m actually beginning to turn around and see this addition as one way Genesis can delve deeper into their catalog without having to worry about Phil's vocals. I know that sounds like a weird statement (beef up the lead vocalist's vocals because he can't sing anymore) but if it allows them to thrown in a few surprises, maybe it's not as crazy as it might sound. The drums will definitely be solid, so no worries there. And like all of you, I know nothing lol.

It's interesting to note that virtually identical discussions were taking place on various boards in 2007. And they ended up essentially doing an early '80s type setlist. Ripples, ITC and medley IKWIL, etc. were all heavily prominent live '78-early '80s. Strangely, the only twist this go around is what Phil can handle vocally and otherwise and what visually will look the best, i.e., I don't think he wants to sit on a chair half the show during instrumental sections. This kind of favors a "song-based" setlist, i.e., don't hold your breath for much of the older material (pre 3-man). A shame since the the survey on this website points to a heavy appetite by most for the '71-'80 period. Of course, we'll keep guessing until we're blue in the face but will ultimately find out if/when the tour kicks off. Enjoy, regardless, as this is "it" (no pun intended).

Hi Backdrifter. Thanks for your comments. My credo in life is that ALL opinions are valuable, as long as they're expressed diplomatically, which mine were. As far as my comments go, to clarify a bit more:

1) When I was referring to playing it safe, I was primarily talking about the '92 and '07 tours. Genesis used to take risks (ITC and Fountain in '78 are clear examples of that) but they sort of settled into a routine and played the same old material over and over again (In the Cage, snippets of Cinema Show, Firth and Colony, e.g.). Since they haven't released anything since '92 (this version), I don't think there's a need to stick to the script so strictly, especially given that this is the last hurrah. That was my point by "playing it safely".

2) In regard to fair-weather fans, I wasn't referring to anyone who discovered the band in the late '80s; more power to them (you can't decide when you're born lol). I was referring to the many folks (Genesis was playing stadiums in '87 and '92) who popped in because it was the thing to do (to quote Chester Thompson in an older interview). I don't care who sees Genesis; all I am hoping for is more than a 15 minute nod to their older material.

3) Finally, regarding the "other" prog bands, I guess we can agree to disagree. Yes, for example, rotates albums in and out (including Drama which was definitely a departure for them at the time). Again, a balance would be nice. And I do agree with you that Genesis in the early '80s was heavily into whatever they were writing at the time (which make perfect sense).

And in closing all of these bands (including Genesis) rest on their old glories lol. "New" Genesis material that people refer to was written 30-40 years ago!

Thanks for the exchange and remember that the band ties all of us together despite some of us floating in slightly different quadrants of the Genesis universe :).

For UK attendees (especially London), I don't think it's impossible that Steve and/or Pete could do a 1-song appearance. Pete has done it several times, albeit in the late '70s. Since this is the last hurrah, who knows? And Peter did do a brief snippet of Dancing Out with the Moonlit Night on his tour with Sting. It's ok to dream....

Hi guys. I realize that this might come off as a slight rant..... Like many of you, I've been a fan of Genesis for a long time (45 years or so in my case) and I've seen the band live on many tours since '77. Genesis has always and will always be my favorite band. I remember first hearing WOTS in the fall of '75 and being completely blown away. I also understand that the band is almost "2 bands" with the '70s adventurous stuff on one end and the more accessible pop stuff of the '80s/'90s on the other end (yes, that's an oversimplification). However, one thing that's always gnawed at me about Genesis is a certain disregard for their history in their setlists (especially on the last 2-3 tours). They always play it super safely. Many other prog bands will play their "classics" realizing that this is what many fans want to hear. I'm certainly not advocating a '70s setlist which is complete lunacy but would it kill Genesis to reserve 30-45 minutes of a 2+ hour show for those earlier tunes? That's probably 4-5 songs that they could pick from that really innovative time in their history. I'm not a fan of medleys at all; I'd rather hear 2 songs in full rather than a medley containing snippets of 5-6. Early Genesis is so melodramatic that just picking bits feels "cheap". Banks mentioned having to play the hits (or something to that effect). I don't get that. I would venture to guess that in 2021, at least half of the audience in any of these Genesis strongholds that they'll be playing in would want to hear some representation of '70s stuff, not just '80s pop. Many of the fair-weather fans have long left the band (the bandwagon jumpers in the '80s/early '90s). As far as the setlist goes, I'm basically expecting 2007 with perhaps a few tweaks. Yes, Nic Collins mentioned or alluded to things like 9/8 and WOTS but in the same breath, he also mentioned that those songs did not make it to the final setlist ("the more complicated bits"). I'm happy to attend a show in December as it's my chance to bid a fond farewell to a band that's been at my side for a long, long time. That being said, a better "history of" type setlist would go a long way to closing the loop. My opinion. Take care.:)