Posts by Backdrifter

Saw the latest film version of “Emma” a fortnight ago, directed by the music video director Autumn de Wilde. Surprisingly it was excellent, a real contrast to all the ghastly woke rehashes of classic novels that the BBC have inflicted on viewers recently.

Why were you so surprised Emma was excellent, and which "woke" BBC adaptations do you mean?

Have been binge watching Star Trek . So far first 7 films.

For a change have really enjoyed The Favourite.

I really like the recent three Star Trek films. Of the older ones First Contact is great and the other TNG ones are good.

I really liked The Favourite too. At times it was grotesque and there's rather more puking than I care to see but it was overall really engrossing and probably Rachel Weisz's career best performance. Everyone in it is good.

That rabbits sequence at the end.... That was strange, weirdly unsettling and quite bold. An odd and unconventional way to close a film. I thought the use of Skyline Pigeon for the end credits worked really well.

I'm going to switch into shallow mode and say that a film with both Rachel Weisz and Emma Stone will always be a must-see. I mean, you know, because - ahem, they're both so, ah, talented (and of course they are).

This is what I wish Genesis would do most of all. Or would have done when they had the chance. Their individual shows were great (which I'm appreciating a lot now with the concerts on YouTube), it's the static nature of them from night to night across a tour that frustrates me. And over time even some sameness from tour to tour. I get it about the lights and video and all but surely they could have a non-preprogrammed section.

One of my favorite tours I saw was the smashing pumpkins twentieth anniversary. Each 'gig' was two concerts played on consecutive nights with totally separate setlists. It meant forty or fifty songs, a totally indulgent plunge into the band's catalog!

I think I remember REM saying they'd rehearse about 50 songs for a tour, for actually playing. Their sets were among the most fluid of any band I've seen, often with one gig bearing little or no resemblance to those either side.

But anyway yes when you went to see Genesis you knew you were seeing the same set as pretty much every other gig on that tour, that's how they were and so are many - perhaps most? - bands. I too get it re the lighting but would just say that Radiohead, a set-changing band, tend to have impressive light shows but I may just be missing or not understanding some technical detail of the logistics. eg, wouldn't more pre-programming enable a song to be moved around in the set and new ones to be brought in?

Where I do especially wish there'd been more change, if not between gigs, was between tours as you say, as you did sometimes see similarities.

Yes I have seen many Springsteen shows over the years and one of things I love about him is the change of set lists from one night to another. He will keep a core of about 60% of the same songs but then play different songs each show. Often the audience will be holding posters up with a song they want him to sing and even if it is not on the play list he will often play it. You never know what you are going to get!!

Genesis however, once you have heard one show you know what each show will be. One reason why, when they do start the tour I will be avoiding all set lists as when I see them in Glasgow I want the the show to be a surprise

I can't stand Springsteen but all respect to him for the setlist approach you describe.

I'm enjoying this thread and hearing snippets about what's being rehearsed but like you, once the tour starts I'll studiously avoid all setlist discussions and listing so I can be surprised at my first gig which is London, but I too will be at Glasgow.

Was thinking about having seen U2 and Rush in recent years..and often seem to throw in tracks that have almost forgotton about. Would be great to see on this tour but may be unlikely..but still looking forward to

Howdy Simon from another Simon. Hope you enjoy having a good roam around the site. It's had its quiet phases but is livelier, from even before the tour news.

Yeah I really liked Rush's approach especially in the later years of touring, there'd be genuine surprises in some sets, including interesting ones from late 70s/early 80s they either hadn't played before or not since the original tours.

U2 have had a tendency to do the latest album plus a selection of hit singles, but you're right, they've been pretty good at suddenly dusting off unexpected ones and switching them around between gigs.

Two of my other favourite bands are Radiohead and King Crimson who both change their sets each gig, usually with a consistent core of songs but often quite significantly switching numbers around and introducing a few surprises.

But as I said, I feel we may see a different sort of Genesis set on this tour... to some extent at least!

Now just one episode of Homeland left as it reaches its conclusion. The tension and intrigue is wonderful, and I love all the political twists and turns. I'll be sorry it's ending but it's a remarkable achievement to have sustained such quality over 8 seasons.

Along with Pointless I daily record House of Games, pretty much the only two quiz shows I watch. They're enjoyable and good fun while also assuming a bit of intelligence in their contestants and audience.

OK that clarifies things and like SCD above I didn't realise the earlier long numbered post in a quote box was you. Apologies for any negativity that may have come across. Believe me, you are doing infinitely better in a non-native language than I ever could!

I agree with some of what you say, eg the likely older songs and the "expected" hits. But while you list some stuff that was indeed a regular feature of past shows, some of it is unlikely to feature and in the case of PC's 'tarantella' now impossible. The TIOA medley was dropped by the time of WCD and won't reappear.

I feel that yes there'll be expected stuff but that also this will be a different sort of show with Nic C in the band and his dad's unavoidable limitations. I think those factors will contribute to what could be a markedly different kind of Genesis setlist. That's my main hope rather than hoping for specific songs - that we'll see, to some extent at least, a move away from their somewhat conservative previous approach.

The sad news about Honor Blackman was picked up earlier here.

I was just reading some interesting stuff about her life. She described her childhood as not very loving, and had a conflicted relationship with her father who could be physically abusive yet also encouraged her to take elocution lessons then supported her when these led to acting lessons. She volunteered as a despatch rider in WWII biking packages across London during air raids.

As Cathy Gale in The Avengers she got bored of always taking a gun out of her handbag and actually learned judo to brown belt level to make her character a more distinctive action woman. She got heaps of fan mail mainly from women saying how inspirational she was. She made the role arguably the first action heroine on British TV. It even led to her writing a self-defence manual.

As a staunch republican she declined a CBE in 2002 and berated former Bond co-star Sean Connery for accepting a knighthood while a tax exile, saying "his principles aren't very high".

A very interesting person who led a full life. She died aged 94.

Now, that's just ridiculous. If you're not going to take this seriously there's no point. There's absolutely no chance they'd play Digby.

Is Going Out To Get You the one with the preposterous lyrics including "licking fingers sunk in jam"?

Uh... It could be. But it won't be. Even for me, who is down on the band for being too conservative and staid, this setlist is beyond wacky. Two CAS songs, silver rainbow and burning rope? (Nb I watched most of the mama tour on YouTube tonight though and was very impressed, I had forgotten how great they were. Abacab, mama, home by the sea and keep it dark are awesome on that show. I still wish they played another Genesis song instead of the medley of other people's songs on turn it on again).

I'm going to make a playlist just out of curiosity for how insane this setlist looks like to see what it sounds like.

I agree but maybe what Shipwrecked meant is "I'd like it to be this". Which is fair enough, you have a setlist thread and people will post what they'd like it to be. But yeah it's as likely as.... well, as that setlist. Any CAS, let alone including Alien Afternoon and having Congo as the penultimate main set number, is a crazy notion. But hey, in this thread I think you can come off the leash!

Maybe we could start a Least Likely Setlist theme. "We decided to do an album showcase and we're delighted to tell you we'll be playing From Genesis To Revelation from start to finish!"