Posts by Backdrifter

I've listened to all the suggestions listed above. First thing that occurs to me is that none of them are what I'd classify as weird, at least not on my personal weirdness scale, but clearly they are the kind of stuff he absolutely is not doing now.

Why reminded me a bit of Sentimental Institution

Down Street is very frustrating because the music is really good and has a very nice vibe but the voiceover spoils it

As soon as Ballad started I remembered it. Of his somewhat contrived 'comedy' songs this is by far the best for me

I found Optigan forgettable and already have no real memory of it but enjoyed the live Tower it segued into

Silk Road is again not weird at all to me but is very good, probably the best of this bunch and I'm glad to have been led to it

Marijuana - another that comes under the category of "trying too hard to be comedic", but some of the individual segments are quite good

I know the first two; I wouldn't classify Vicarage as weird - I don't like it and it comes across to me more as "I'm trying to be funny". I think I like Ballad, it's so long since I heard it I'll have to remind myself of it. I shall check out the other two and the ones mentioned earlier.

Two very well expressed posts above.

It's one of the great things about music that even when you didn't like or know the artist'swork, their death still affects or saddens you.

I never especially liked Prodigy but I'm now wondering if that was more down to not actually knowing enough of their work. Lauren Laverne played a track I didn't know on her 6Music show as a tribute, which made me think I should hear a bit more.

Also I didn't know about Flint, interesting.

I like this one a lot, one of the best hooks they ever had. A bright shiny hook for a song about the male orgasm. A much better lyric subject from Banks than his previous efforts about dinosaurs, mice, ropes on fire and whatever the bloody hell Vine and Moon are about.

It lifts the album back up following the trough it hits with Alien, Taking and Job which come after a strong first side. Then as mentioned above, it leads on to a very nice conclusion with It's Gonna.

This weekend it's been what I think of as typical Scottish Highlands weather, ie wind, rain and sun altogether at once and one after the other in quick succession often within a minute.

It reminds me of just how little rain we've had since we moved here in 2017.

Getting back to you as promised on the Palin show. I was front row, directly below him. :love:He's still OK to look at but never mind that. The first half of the show he talked about his new book Erebus which was one of the ill fated ships on Franklin's North West Passage expedition. In the second half he just told stories from his career from being at Oxford to his last trip to North Korea. It ended with the German version of the Lumberjack Song & then we all got to sing the Lumberjack Song with him.

Oh, and he mentioned Genesis along with Zeppelin & Floyd when he talked about the financing of Holy Grail. It turned out the guy next to me was a big Genesis fans & has been on a couple of Steve's cruises & will be seeing Phil in January at the show I'm attending.

Sorry for the delayed response, it was good to read about the Palin show. I've seen him do a couple of similar shows and he is very good. And a Genesis mention into the bargain!

Earlier I mentioned a performer Daniel Kitson who does live shows that aren't easily categorised, being somewhere between stand-up comedy and theatre, and that he occasionally tours his shows in Australia. He's bringing his latest one over, called Keep. In this one, as he often does he's playing himself as a character, this time who has indexed every single object in his house and garden and the show is him sitting down to read out every single one of the thousands of cards to us.... But things quickly take an unexpected turn.

I saw him do the show in London and while it's not one of his best, even when he's slightly below par he's still very funny and engaging.

Last week I saw a stage adaptation of the film Berberian Sound Studio. As with the film, it's about an engineer brought in to oversee the sound effects of a gory Italian horror film in post-production. Through his increasingly surreal experience we see how he has shut himself off from the world and the effect of this isolation on his state of mind. It was an excellent well-staged show with very good performances.

I finally finished my binge-watch of my all-time favorite British drama (and semi-comedy) Ashes To Ashes. To be honest, I really consider this series parts 3, 4, and 5 of the story that is started by its 2-season predecessor (which I also love) Life On Mars. In fact, since I am already feeling withdrawal symptoms, I am going to watch Life On Mars again very soon. It really is a great show - both series. :thumbup::thumbup:

I avidly watched Mars but for some reason I just didn't bother with Ashes. I don't know why, as I am a big fan of Keeley Hawes and had enjoyed Mars. But you say it's a semi comedy? Mars sometimes played on the culture clash aspect for laughs, do you mean in that way?

Genesis link - Philip Glenister is a fan and listed Lilywhite Lilith as one of his top 10 favourite songs.

Pre-Mars, he and John Simm were in the superb one-off drama State of Play in which their characters had a different sort of tense relationship. It's one of my favourite TV programmes and I still watch it every year. When something is such high quality one series of 6 episodes is all you need.

Meanwhile I am enjoying the latest series of Shetland and the new crime series Baptiste whose lead character previously featured in another crime mystery series The Missing.

Well, at any point in the last 20-30 years, reuniting for a tour, or for any reason at all, would have been wonderful.

But that is a period during which PG was very active with his own career immediately post-So, approaching Us, setting up Real World and becoming involved in various projects behind the scenes. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this was also the period when he had personal issues to deal with. All of that would be enough of a barrier to reuniting but on top of that is his resistance to divert away from his solo career trajectory with what he regarded as a backward step - he once likened it to being told, while working at your job, that you've got to go back to school.

Genesis were post IT touring, pre-WCD, doing solo stuff. I suppose it seems maybe there was an apparent lull in the years leading up to CAS but then PC had just left and makes it very clear in his book how relieved he was to be out of it. There was absolutely no chance of it happening... except in the hopeful minds of many fans!

it had a creepy voice saying "WALK TWOO DA FI-YA!" at the beginning and at least one other point in the song.

Blimey, that's not how I remember it! You make it sound more comical than creepy! I recall it starting with a sort of treated rasping voice reciting the title and yes you're right it crops up again later. I wasn't keen on this song, it had an element of "will this do?" that can happen when musicians are asked to do a film song. I found it substandard, as though he'd dug up an offcut.

Some of his later film songs were better and the album should be interesting but with each reheating of old stuff he's done over the last 15 years I become more convinced he's got nothing new to offer. I wonder whatever happened to all the songs he said he had stockpiled, and to the planned I/O album.