Posts by Backdrifter

Phil's appearance has made it's way to an article in the guardian focused mainly on his health, including the comment that it has 'raised concerns on social media'. Hope the tour can go ahead but more than that I hope Phil is ok. He's only 70. He looks very uncomfortable all the time but I'm sure they wouldn't be going out if it wasn't feasible or if he didn't want to.

https://www.theguardian.com/mu…n-barely-hold-a-drumstick

Good couple of second mentions there, "the 70-year-old drummer and singer", "the eight-time Grammy Award-winner" and the also rather long-winded "1970s progressive rock band Genesis" - see my wittering on previously about the 'variations enigma'.

I think that all of you in the UK are fortunate in that you're likely to see an uninterrupted tour; I'm beginning, however, to have serious doubts about the North American tour's viability after a month or so on the road in the UK, the traveling involved in his state, etc.

I'm generally optimistic but I do think there might be something in this. I'm glad I'm packing in some of the UK shows and especially excited seeing them in my adopted home nation of Scotland, as well as in my birthplace London. But yeah, I worry how viable the US dates will be, let alone rest of Europe.

As I'd said earlier, I've never been under any illusions about the nature of his performance on this tour. I'd always thought this is a final chance to see one of my favourite bands, despite how different it'd likely be. From the start I thought there's no need for the '?' in the tour title. It will be sad seeing him like this, but I never had any hesitation in seizing the final opportunity to hear the music played live and that overrides any misgivings. I really hope the US and the rest of Europe get that chance too.

It strikes me even as I try to explain this that it might be more enjoyable if it was scaled back. Perhaps just the marquee games of the week and simply choosing who will win each game.

Definitely keep it to 8 to 10 per round, that seems to work best for the european football one we have. But may I suggest that also like that one, we do predict scorelines and apply the same system of 3 points for an exact correct prediction, 1 point for correctly predicting the overall result. So for instance, I've gone for Dallas 18 Tampa 26. If that's the actual score I get 3 points, if it's not the score but the result was a Tampa win, 1 point. But hey it's your show, your rules! In some ways it might be more feasible to predict a correct soccer score, less so for NFL? I'll be led by you.

I would try but I don't follow American Football.

Neither do I but what the hell, here goes - and I have done some minimal research for what it's worth:

Dallas Cowboys 18 Tampa Bay Bucs 26

Pittsburgh Steelers 24 Buffalo Bills 32

Arizona Cardinals 25 Tennessee Titans 21

Seattle Seahawks 13 Indianapolis Colts 19

Cleveland Browns 26 Kansas City Chiefs 20

Chicago Bears 10 LA Rams 24

Baltimore Ravens 32 Las Vegas Raiders 21

As I said, I'm up for this on the grounds I know absolutely nothing about it. But that's a lot of games!

Also, when you say "Dallas at Tampa", do you mean Tampa vs Dallas, ie played at Tampa's home stadium?

What do the figures actually represent?

Aw, nothing wrong with a good sturdy handshake, and a look straight in the eye. To me it shows respect. At least that’s how I was raised.

I think the handshake has long been a token gesture. A look straight in the eye sounds potentially unnerving!

As I said, I don't see why a greeting has to involve any physical contact unless it's hugging or kissing a loved one or close friend. Swapping sweat, skin flakes and other microscopic particles and micro-droplets of other bodily fluids with a stranger you're meeting for the first time... nah.

Hopefully one good thing to come out of the pandemic will be the end of handshakes, a ridiculous and sometimes slightly nauseating custom. Elbow-bumping can sod off too. There's absolutely no need for physical contact when meeting people. A nod, a smile (or in my case a sort of half-scowl) and a a few kind words of greeting are all that's necessary.

Massive kudos for getting an Eraserhead reference into the 'What Genesis shows will you attend' thread!

I'm still on the fence about doing a second night in Boston but thinking if I don't, I will regret it.

I considered invoking Kramer, Marge Simpson or the Bride of Frankenstein but opted for Henry.

You will indeed regret not adding Boston 2. You'd sit there thinking about it happening and feeling excluded. For my part, as ludicrously expensive as this 4-gig extravaganza is, I have no qualms about it as there's no question in my mind that this is finally it and that makes it huge for me. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do this so I'm doing it.

what's the arena like in Birmingham

I'm in Block 3 row MM, hopefully it's not an obstructed view

You'll be up near the back of a rear block audience right, raised, the equivalent of about 2 blocks back from the stage. It won't be too bad but like all venues you'll be at the mercy of anyone in front of you who's very tall, has a huge head, high hair like the Eraserhead guy and a coldstream guard's hat. But if he's not there - not sure he's much of a fan - it should be ok.

I found one other Genesis Podcast which I listened to and I did not enjoy the Revelation Music podcasts which inject humour which I did not find funny at all. It fell very flat. I like the Tabletop ones as they love the music as much as I do. I guess everyone reacts to things differently and it is a matter of taste.

The humorous asides on Tabletop are one of the problems for me. It does come across that they love the music for sure but their discussion style is starting to grate on my nerves. One other thing, which is unfair on them but nevertheless a fact, is that two of them have extremely annoying voices. Yes yes I know, they can't help having the voices they have and as I say it's very unfair but there it is, it's a huge drag factor for me.

Maybe I'll try Revelations just for the hell of it.

Sarah Harding of Girls Aloud died this morning, aged just 39. She'd had breast cancer, which is much more treatable now but a year ago revealed it had spread to other parts of her body.

I'm assuming there probably aren't any Girls Aloud fans here. As far as manufactured pop acts go I really liked them, they had some good catchy songs and put on a good live show. It's very sad news she's died so young.

As I recall the most contentious discussions on this board have centered on Covid and vaccinations

Did you see the ones started by the member who said "fans who like trio stuff are ignorant"?! I went to the covid arguments to get some respite!

By the way, regarding the football predictions - good idea re the NFL, go to it I say - it needn't just appeal to American members in the same way the football one isn't just Brits. I might pitch in on an NFL one on the grounds I know bugger-all about it. I don't think I could do much worse than I am in the football one.

I'm certain you'll get your wish, this thread will no doubt fizzle out. As long as people don't annoyingly keep bumping it up.

Yes I like that fan forums have off-topic areas. By the way, as I type this I'm eating a buttered scone and drinking a cup of tea. Thought you might like to know!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I assumed you were referring to his naff cover version of Arrival.

I've been listening to Tabletop Genesis. I find them a mix of interesting, enjoyable and infuriating.

It's always interesting listening to fans discussing the band and there's the occasional nugget of info I didn't know, or they discuss something I did already know in an intriguing way. Sometimes their take on stuff is a bit irritating or puzzling but that's part of hearing different opinions.

I've been going through in order of the Genesis albums from FGTR onwards (the episodes aren't in that order.) Up to Foxtrot so far.

After listening to the SEBTP one I'm probably going to abandon these as they've become too annoying and I'm rapidly getting fed up of it. I think I'll move on to the 2-part Lamb one and probably leave it there with the possible exception of the interview episodes. Does anyone know of any alternative Genesis podcasts?

I was probably being too simplistic and I wasn't entirely serious, but Arrival is an instrumental and although it doesn't have complicated instrumental passages it has the atmosphere I associate with prog. Same with Eagle. Just the way the song soars. I suppose if you're going to make a leap like that than you could say any song you like sounds 'prog' but I would only say those are the only two Abba songs I would even vaguely put in this category.

Ah OK, understood. Arrival is a nice tune, I quite like it.