Posts by rjhatcher

Thanks for always posting these ahead of time. It’s interesting that Ged Lynch plays percussion on this one (even though Manu is on the drums); it must’ve been ‘cooking’ for a while. It’s nice to see Josh Shpak making another appearance on the trumpet as well — and there’s saxophone?!

I'm not sure about that. If Pg offered it to his record company it means it was close to be finished. He wouldn't have proposed something if there was still a lot of work to be done on it

Also I remember an old interview of Richard chappell in SOS where he talked about working on son of Ovo.

I really hope we'll be able to hear that version sometime.

Totally agree. And IMO, Downside Up is one of Peter’s best tracks; the only thing missing is his vocals — and I read somewhere years ago that he’d recorded vocals for it for ‘Son of OVO’.

Yes of course. For me I/O is already kind of an unexpected bonus ! :)

Most likely I think (I hope) he'll go on with the full moon releases. Probably not enough tracks for another full album. But it could be completed with The Veil, Baby Man or other unreleased tracks. In his interview he talked about wanting to find a home (an album) for some of those tracks. As you say, we'll see ...

Plenty of options. It's also quite possible he keeps doing full moon releases and doesn't do a follow up physical record.

In the end we do not know what the future brings for Peter. It's quite possible that i/o will be his last album. Anything beyond is a bonus.

So many options: an ‘o/i’ physical release, stand-alone Full Moon digital releases or, as ‘Flotsam and Jetsam’ was a digital-only compilation, it’s possible he could also append that album with the surplus tracks, such as What Lies Ahead, Show Yourself and Baby Man — maybe even the ‘Son Of OVO’ stuff, which I’m still dying to hear. The Veil is already on there of course. He’s still sitting on a lot of amazing material.

Well - since with the end of November all albumtracks could have been released, the album could be out with the beginning of December. What Lies Ahead could be the last track out on the very end of the year and would be a kind of additional release outside of the album context.

About that track itself: assuming that the studioversion is very similar to the liveversion it will be a very short one (lesser than three minutes). That makes it a perfect candidate for a bonustrack.

An early Christmas present in the form of an i/o release at the beginning of December would be amazing!

Although Peter doesn’t usually do bonus tracks, having What Lies Ahead as the unofficial 13th track would be a nice way to finish off the year🤞

It’s great to finally have a track list — very exciting, and it all feels much more real 😃

I think Panopticom is a great opener as well. I can’t imagine any of the others working as the first track.

It’s a little strange how What Lies Ahead was played live a few times and then hasn’t made the album. I wonder whether this was always going to be the case, as there’s no artwork for WLA in the European tour programme either — although this came out rather late in the day, long after he’d stopped playing the track.

This all but confirms that the album won’t be out this year, too. With 12 tracks, the Full Moon cycle will take us to November 27th, so we potentially won’t have anything on the Full Moon in December (27th)… I wouldn’t have thought that any of the surplus tracks would be released until after i/o has come out.

I wonder which one of Love Can Heal, Olive Tree, This Is Home, And Still, and Live And Let Live is coming next, on August 1st… 🤔🌕

So perhaps??

September 22/29 for CD/Cassette (if he does cassette)
    November 10/17 for LP.

If it’s coming this year, I reckon it’ll be one of those dates in September. I’m hoping, with the WOMAD thing at the end of this week — and the fact that those lucky people at the festival will have heard the entire album, that Peter might give us a bit more of a clue in the Full Moon video next Tuesday (August 1st) 🙏🌕

Do you know before with song? Is there a YT video of it ?

It was before ‘Olive Tree’ and I’ve just found a clip on YouTube: “…and in this particular story, which is the next project after i/o and possibly o/i”.

Therefore, if it’s part of that story, it’s possible that ‘Olive Tree’ won’t be on i/o? Although ‘Road to Joy’ is on i/o and is part of the ‘brain project’…

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

because things take time. You won't get time in a vinyl pressing plant quickly. September is very unlikely because that's less than 6 weeks now. And then Peter is on tour - no time to do proper promotion.

Possibly; I just know Peter prefers the end of September for releases. Up was September 23rd and Us was September 28th. September 22nd/29th 2023 is 8 and 9 weeks away, respectively. Personally, I think the album is probably ready now — and could be pressed already? The promotional issue I can see, but Peter doesn’t do a lot of that in the U.K. at least…

Plus, the i/o project, tour and merchandise is focused on 2023 — my ‘Rising’ tour t-shirt has ‘PG23’ on it. And Manu Katche stated that the album would be out this year. I dunno, I just think this may surprise a lot of people…

it's 36:40 min so far. Live And Let Live could be the longest trach with 7 minutes. Perhaps you are right but this would also mean the remaining tracks are rather short, for Gabriel's standard. Or the "one hour" announcement is not accurate

If the whole slot is one hour (21:30-22:30)

— and you’d imagine there would be a short introduction, the running time will be somewhat less than one hour.

Additionally, if Peter is letting people hear it in its entirety in July 2023, albeit for a one-off and to promote his WOMAD Festival, I really do think September 2023 is on the table for the album release. Why then hold off for another 7-8 months at the earliest (February/March 2024)…

So, the WOMAD festival will have a listing party of the new i/o album (in aurround sound as it looks like), which will last one hour and the album will be presented in its entirety. That leaves somes questions ...

For example: Are there only 10 tracks on the album?

[Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im…php/v9/t40/1/16/1f4a5.png] WOMAD Exclusive! [Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im…php/v9/t40/1/16/1f4a5.png]Come along to a unique Immersive listening experience of Peter Gabriel's new album i/o, under Luke Jerram Studio's 'The Museum of the Moon' [Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im…php/v9/tb0/1/16/1f316.png][Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/im….php/v9/tf4/1/16/2728.png]

Featuring all the tracks, the atmospheric setting and pioneering immersive audio system is the perfect way to discover Peters latest work in its entirety

I saw this posted last night. It’s a very interesting development. Thanks for confirming that it’s going to be the whole album.

I think this suggests that there are maybe less tracks on the album than people thought — and that i/o could be coming sooner than expected. The end of September is more likely now, as we’d have had three more tracks by then (10 in total). We know that ‘Love Can Heal’ and ‘Live and Let Live’ are definitely on the record; but that’d mean only one of ‘And Still’, ‘Olive Tree’ and ‘This Is Home’ will be on there…

Is anyone on here going to WOMAD this week?

All of this would mean there is very likely to be enough surplus (8 tracks or more) for another whole new album afterwards as well (o/i)…

I personally believe the songs he's playing in his setlists are the ones he plans to release during full moons this year-to me that makes total sense.

As for what actually makes it on the album-that's anyone's guess I suppose! I personally think he's using both the tour and the full moon releases to help figure out exactly WHAT to put on the album, based on the audience/fans' reactions to each.

I also am one of those who believe that because of all this, he will not release the album until early next year-or at the very earliest once the tour ends.

I agree that the new songs he played on tour are what he plans to release via the full moons this year; however, I also think that these will all be on the i/o record. The extras, if and when they come, will be after the album has been released.

I also think we’ve probably heard every track that’ll be on the album now. In the tour programme, 12 pieces of art were featured as being associated with a given track. For that reason, I’m now thinking that What Lies Ahead won’t be on the album, as this wasn’t included. After 21 years and being such a perfectionist, I feel that Peter would’ve waited until he was absolutely sure the tracks were finished and he knew exactly what he was going to put on the album, before starting the ball rolling this year. I could be very wrong about that though…

Am I the only person that thinks that the sequence of the songs released might be the i/o tracklist order, e.g. track 1 will be Panopticom, track 2 will be The Court…?

I’d agree with that. With 7 tracks, I’d say we’ve heard over half of the album now. There’s the usual mix of existential tracks, such as Panopticom, The Court and Four Kinds Of Horses; however, we also have some really personal tracks — So Much and And Still, in particular, but also Playing For Time, Love Can Heal and even i/o (“I walk with my dog”; and “I’ll be all laid to rest… into the roots of an old oak tree”). I don’t recall Peter writing from his own experiences as much as this (except for Father, Son), so it’s going to be different in that respect. It’s a reflective album and a snapshot of the last 10 years or so of Peter’s life. The tracks are certainly less dense and more direct than Up, Us and So, too. In terms of balance, I think it’s great.

It’s a beautiful track. I was initially surprised at just how understated the production is — the orchestra, for example, is barely audible, putting Peter’s vocal very much front and centre. I guess that was the idea though. It’s sad to hear that Peter has had health issues as well (I knew his wife had). This has obviously fed into So Much, along with Playing For Time and Love Can Heal. They’re very personal tracks. I’m guessing that as Tchad Blake stated this is the best thing Peter has done, the Dark-Side Mix is likely to be the one that makes it onto the i/o album.

It's already July 3rd in some places in the world, so the song has already started to be made available in those places. Every release ends up being made available first in New Zealand, that's why we end up knowing or songs end up "leaking" a day before, but in fact it's not a leak, it's already available out there, and once it's on the internet, it can belong to anyone.

Thank you; that makes perfect sense 🙏 I just thought I was missing out on something haha. Not much longer to wait…