Posts by Ikhnaton

Strong agree, Christian -- I liked getting officially released and easy-to-download versions of stuff like Full Stretch and those two Gabriel/Hall demos. But this was the first time this year we got something that couldn't have been heard before...at least not these recordings.

Looking back at the 1978 recording compendium entry and seeing that the scant information available includes that they were recorded at Trident Studios...which, according to the Full Moon Club release artwork for the tracks, is where these "Early Incarnation" versions were recorded...I'm growing more and more convinced that these three releases are the three August 28th, 1978 demos from the compendium.

And that leads to the question...if that's right, which song is which?

No. 1

Yesterday's Song

The One That Doesn't Sound Like Genesis

I don't have an opinion, but my first guess will be the songs were released in the order they were recorded, and the listing on this site's page coincides with that order of notation. So No. 1 is Family Snapshot, Yesterday's Song is Games Without Frontiers, and The One...Genesis is Not One Of Us. Wild guesses tho! Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Quoting myself, but...

Furthermore, since they primed this lunar cycle's releases as "demo songs that all became tracks you know well" from Melt, that means there won't be any cleaned-up version of the Tom Robinson co-written songs or the unreleased tracks recorded during '78 and '79 sessions (No. 1, Yesterday’s Song, and The One That Doesn’t Sound Like Genesis).

I feel foolish that it took until someone else said it on Reddit, but it's possible the three future-Melt songs we are getting this cycle (Family Snapshot, Games Without Frontiers, and the unreleased third one) are these three songs bolded above...they just had different working title names than their released version.

For now, I'll tell myself that's the case so I feel like we are crossing off songs on the "never heard these before" list...

That is a nice surprise...both the unexpected early demo and the promise of at least a couple more during this lunar cycle.

I am not an expert in studio outtake bootlegs, but I don't believe I've ever heard anything like this when hearing early versions of Family Snapshot...let alone any PG3/Melt recordings from 1978. I'm very curious what else they come up with.

I also like that, between this and the Real World Notes EP on the New Moon, they are moving towards releasing multiple songs over both the New and Full Moon cycles. That's a trend I hope they continue to embrace until it's time for new music again.

The choice and phrasing of the release does dash (or at least delay) a couple dreams of mine. Since we've moved on to 1978 and PG3, I guess we aren't going to get official releases of the rest of the "Before The Flood" bootlegged songs from '74 and '75...let alone anything from the mythical 1976 demo recording session with Ant, Mike, and Phil.

Furthermore, since they primed this lunar cycle's releases as "demo songs that all became tracks you know well" from Melt, that means there won't be any cleaned-up version of the Tom Robinson co-written songs or the unreleased tracks recorded during '78 and '79 sessions (No. 1, Yesterday’s Song, and The One That Doesn’t Sound Like Genesis).

I'll keep my fingers crossed that such treasures could make their way to us sometime down the road -- and be happy to get fun demos of eventually-released songs/

I'm torn about another tour vs new music. My initial instinct is that I want him working on new music -- I agree with agentsage that new songs last forever. But I also know Peter, and it's possible that "oh I'll just finish off these five or six leftover songs and bang out a couple more" could lead to many years of fiddling, even if his plan were to start doing monthly song releases. And...I selfishly really want to experience him and his band on stage again and again.

Despite that, I like the new pattern that the releases have been falling into: New Moon(ish) releases of previously released collections and Full Moon drops of previously unreleased songs. Yes, the two "new" songs that have come out have been widely bootlegged...but these are the first official releases. I have my wants of what I hope he gets to, and I would certainly prefer to get official versions of new songs like What Lies Ahead and Show Yourself, but if this is the plan for the foreseeable, I'm on board.

Spent too much time with too much hope, and started dreaming of what songs could come out of this new FMC model now that Peter is opening the vault and letting those pre-Car demos out. I ended up with this pretty extensive list (spoilered below for size).

I, of course, leaned on the excellent recording compendium put together by the good people of this site. I focused on “new” unreleased songs or demos/versions of songs that are either from an earlier era than it actually came out or have an interesting group of personnel on it (esp in the early years). Regular demos of already known songs are fun and all, but I’m more interested in these.

A bunch of these are available as rips or bootlegs, and a few were even part of the old FMC releases...but fresh and cleaned up versions of these songs (particularly the bolded ones) would be a dream to have. Along with, of course, any newly recorded music he wants to release...

Really glad they added the rest of the Full Stretch tracks all at once. It would have been ok but not ideal to have it be one track at a time for four months; now we can hopefully get another project going for the Club releases.

As for Firebird: I'm more than ok if we are getting all those "Before The Flood"-era demos. Am I right in thinking, based on the Recording Compendium, that this track features Ant Phillips on the piano?

I'm happy with the two new tracks that we got. Yes, I already had both of them through less official means...but nice to get a legitimate release of them both.

I do wish they had just dropped all the Full Stretch songs at once. I don't really want it spread out over four months, even if it's New Moon/secondary material each time.

As for Funny Man...I like those Martin Hall co-writing demos from '74-'75, so I hope all of them get out. For those who don't know, there are three songs from a 1974 session that have been bootlegged which feature Phil on drums and backing vocals as well as Ant on piano. They are You Never Know, Firebirds, and You Get What You Want. Again, you can hear all of them now via YouTube...but an official, cleaned-up release of any of them would be wonderful.

But if we are hanging out before PG1 for any length of time, the Grail-ish recordings would be the 1976 demos outlined in the Genesis-News.com's excellent recording compendium. This session features demos of:

Here Comes The Flood

Slowburn

Flotsam & Jetsam

Get The Guns (a Gabriel/Hall song that evolved into Down The Dolce Vita)

Mr. Tattoo (a Gabriel-only credit that very little seems known about)

and an unknown track

Recorded by Peter on vocals and keyboard, Phil on drums, Ant on keyboards, Mike on bass, and John Goodsall on guitar.

Man, I really want to hear those.

Well, 11 days later...still waiting on the Burning Shed delivery. It took almost two weeks for the package to make it's way from the UK to America, and now it's stuck in customs for an open-ended amount of time. Maybe I'll get it by Christmas?

I wanted to support the independent store for artists, but I don't think I'll ever use them again. My friends who bought direct from Real World also had them shipped from England and they've had them for over a week. Ah well...thank god for the Bandcamp subscription.

Yes, another great track. Good to hear there will be another record as well, but who knows when! "Hope to see you around soon" are part of the last line in the Full Moon Update, we shall see!

If recent album release patterns hold, only 44 years until the next one comes out!

(As Christian says, I'm hoping he fires up the monthly releases again after his vacation/sabbatical.)

Thanks for giving me an outlet to polish and publish the tour stats!

Steve in 2028: "Well, you know, in 1975 we had to deal with John Lennon calling up every other day, just begging to join the band as the new singer. But Tony, of course, said he couldn't play any piano and Mike and I had the guitars covered, so..."

With the final show having ended tonight, i/o The Tour has concluded. While I am sure I'm not alone in hoping he announces more dates next year after the six months off he says he's going to take, I thought it'd be good to look at some setlist stats for the 47 shows he performed.

(All of this is culled from the Tour Statistics page at setlist.fm)

There were 20 songs that were played every night of the tour. These included:

• one song from Car (Solsbury Hill)
    • one from Melt (Biko)
    • five from So (Red Rain, Sledgehammer, Don't Give Up, In Your Eyes, and Big Time)
    • one from Us (Digging In The Dirt)
    • two from Up (Darkness and Growing Up)
    • ten songs from i/o (Panopticom, The Court, Playing For Time, i/o, Four Kinds Of Horses, Road To Joy, Olive Tree, Love Can Heal, This Is Home, and Live and Let Live)

Two more songs were played almost every night:

• And Still (from i/o) was played at 42 shows, the last of which was the Palm Springs show on October 14th
    • Washing Of The Water (from Us) was the acoustic opener at 40 of the 47 shows

Then there were four songs that were performed rarely, but all multiple times:

• Here Comes The Flood (from Car) was the alternate acoustic opener at seven shows, performed in German at every show in Germany and Switzerland; it was also performed in English, somewhat randomly, at the Detroit show.
    • What Lies Ahead, currently an unreleased and album-less new song, was performed at six dates: the first three dates of the European leg (Krakow, Verona, and Milan) and then three of the final four North American shows (Denver, Austin, and Houston). When performed, it was an additional song on the setlist (i.e. not replacing another one), coming before Big Time and after either And Still or So Much. Speaking of which:
    • So Much (another i/o track) was played five times, each time replacing And Still in the setlist. The first time was in Copenhagen, allegedly due to the visual artist on the song's single, Henry Hudson, being in attendance. It then made a comeback at the end of the tour, being played at the final four shows in Denver and across Texas.
    • The Tower That Ate People (from OVO) was the rarest song of the tour, performed at only four North American shows. It was also the only song to move around in the set. The first time it was played was in Columbus, where it came as the penultimate song of the first set, in between This Is Home and Sledgehammer. The other times were across three of the final five stops of the tour: Palm Springs, Dallas, and Houston. At these shows, it was played as the first encore song, before In Your Eyes. Each time, this was an additional song in the set, not replacing another number.

(The setlist.fm tour statistics technically has one rarer song for the tour: a "cover" of Happy Birthday To You, sung by Peter and the crowd to Jimmy Carter at the New York City show. I didn't count that in the rundown here, but I'm noting it in the interest of full disclosure.)

In terms of set length, most concerts had 22 songs performed. At five shows, What Lies Ahead was added to make it 23 songs (Krakow, Verona, Milan, Denver, and Austin). At three others, the addition of The Tower That Ate People made it 23 songs (Columbus, Palm Springs, and Denver). And at the tour closer in Houston, both songs were added, bringing the song total to 24.

Finally, it's worth noting that on this tour, roughly half of each night's set was new material from i/o (plus What Lies Ahead, which is a new song that, for now, can be considered a non-album track). Of course, the songs of i/o have been released one by one over the course of the year as singles on each full moon; so the number of "unreleased" songs changed over the course of the tour. Here is the breakdown of that:

Seven unreleased songs:

• May 18-May 21 (Krakow, Verona, Milan)
    • Tracks: Olive Tree, This Is Home, Love Can Heal, Road to Joy, And Still, What Lies Ahead, Live and Let Live

Six unreleased songs:

• May 23-May 28; May 31-June 2 (Paris, Lille, Berlin, Munich, Stockholm, Bergen)
    • Tracks: Olive Tree, This Is Home, Love Can Heal, Road to Joy, And Still, Live and Let Live
    • May 30 (Copenhagen)
    • Tracks: Olive Tree, This Is Home, Love Can Heal, Road to Joy, So Much, Live and Let Live

Five unreleased songs:

• June 5-June 25 (Amsterdam, Antwerp, Zurich, Cologne, Hamburg, Frankfurt, Bordeaux, Birmingham, London, Glasgow, Manchester, Dublin)
    • Tracks: Olive Tree, This Is Home, Love Can Heal, And Still, Live and Let Live

Three unreleased songs:

• September 8-September 27 (Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, New York, Washington DC, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland)
    • Tracks: This Is Home, And Still, Live and Let Live

Two unreleased songs:

• September 29-October 14 (Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul, Vancouver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Palm Springs)
    • Tracks: And Still, Live and Let Live
    • October 16-October 18; October 21 (Denver, Austin, Houston)
    • Tracks: What Lies Ahead, Live and Let Live

One unreleased song:

• October 19 (Dallas)
    • Track: Live and Let Live

Maybe not useful data...but fun to put together and to have as a record when we start considering what the setlists may look like for (fingers-crossed) future concerts/tours.

Looking at the setlist.fm page, seems like it was the longest show of the tour at 24 songs: both What Lies Ahead (after So Much and before Big Time) and The Tower That Ate People (the first encore, before In Your Eyes) were played.

The only tour songs that weren't played at the last show were Here Comes The Flood (which was only played as a swap-out for Washing of the Water) and And Still (which was swapped out for So Much these last few shows).

OK then, I mean the Bright and Dark versions. The versions which Peter chose to play at the shows.

I've seen other people present the discussion this way, but I don't think the live performances/arrangements were approached from the starting point of "will we be doing the Bright-Side or Dark-Side mix?" I appreciate the differences in the mixes, but they are still the final production touches on the song's bones -- and the bones are what they build on when constructing the live arrangements.

I am sure some people could draw lines between one mix or the other and elements of the song that are highlighted in the live performances. But I don't think the Bright/Dark distinction was part of the live arrangement process.

Ikhnaton, any mention by PG at the PS show about the annular solar eclipse of that morning only hours away? Half thought he’d mention it at LA as an up-coming ‘moon club’ mid-cycle event.

(btw drove 8hrs over night straight from the LA show with my daughter to see totality in Utah … truly a celestial event!)

He didn't mention it, no -- it does seem like it would have been on brand, but it didn't come up. Maybe if he didn't have people to shout-out who had worked on the technical side of the album.

Glad you got a good view of the eclipse -- that's an awesome couple of days for you and your daughter. Peter would surely approve!