Posts by Rigsby

I think as a big fan - which we all are to be here - the three favourites will constantly change. However...

Two of my favourite three are fixed -

Duke

The Lamb Lies Down

The other one changes a lot, could be anything really. Today I will say We Can't Dance. Tomorrow I will say something else.

I'd quite like them to do a 40th anniversary tour of the first album and play the whole thing. I have a feeling that might limit their audience somewhat but I'd be well up for Hanging By A Thread and A Call to Arms in the set. I guess because there isn't a 'definitive' Mechanics album they wouldn't do it but it would be interesting at least.

If it was up to me I'd have Roachford singing Halfway There - I think he'd nail it - but that won't happen either.

I think it’s one of the highlights on the album and when it came out I’d say it was probably my favourite track. I can only echo what others have said, it’s some ways it doesn’t fit with the pop feel of the overall record but what an end to the album, doesn’t anybody, inside out and Take me home. Plus we said hello on the CD. Every one a stone cold classic.

I miss Phil’s writing so much

Would you put Harlequin in the same category? I really love the song, it reminds me of a Crosby Stills Nash and Young type song, with its harmonies. But it’s one of those pretty little songs that only hardcore Genesis fans know… I guess like all of us.

Agreed, like For Absent Friends I think Harlequin is a lovely little interlude. A bit like what Yes were doing with Fragile and The Yes Album, dropping shorter prettier moments in amongst the epic tracks. As you say there are great harmonies there too.

This is a quote from Collins I believe but reading it again it seems more like someone just trying to forget the whole thing rather than genuinely denying the existence of the video.

Collins on his internet forum in November 2004: "Match Of The Day... no video was done for this as far as I can recall... but I am weak and my limbs are frail.....etc. Etc. It was also not our finest hour looking back at it now!!! I wrote the embarrassing lyrics and the track featured an attempt to bring some of the hipper grooves of the day into Genesis, with very suspect results."

This is pretty much non-musical. Has anyone ever uncovered definitive proof one way or the other on the existence of a Match of The Day video? Allegedly filmed at Loftus Road, but which Phil denied and I've never seen it or even a still from it.

Has this mystery been solved?