Posts by OneForTheVine

I am a fan of Yes, my favourite album is the Yes Album.. Believe it or not, there are still albums that I have, though have not heard yet!!!..... 8o Beat me with a hitting stick ^^

Since your thread popped up, I might go over their stuff this weekend!... ;)

You should! They are very good. :)

Have you gotten any of the Steven Wilson remixes/remasters? HIGHLY recommended, esp. "Tales from Topographic Oceans", "Relayer", and "Fragile" - the other two ("The Yes Album" and "Close to the Edge") are very good too, but the other three are doubly-specially good.

No doubt we've hijacked it but when there is some Jacket news I'll just start a MMJ thread like we had on Krissy's forum.

As for the old crew get togethers, I only went to the tailgate/pre show get togethers during the 07 Tour. I met a lot of the crew in Philly, and then again at the Giants Stadium show as well as the nice get together in NYC before the Madison Square Garden show. I met some great people at those thanks to the old forum. 👍🏻

Other than that, I've gone to Laura's yearly G party every year except this past one, and always good to see so everyone there year after year. Bummed to have missed this past one but work got in the way.

I missed the tailgates in '07, but I did attend the first annual (it became annual?) G party back in Sept. '08. I also saw all three Philly shows and the MSG show - I'm still kicking myself for not going to the Giants Stadium show. I always thought they'd figure out a way to do it one more time...

Yes, I'll let you start the MMJ thread here too! ^^

OK, people, all of you need to be contributing your five bands, or Eric and I might keep talking on thread! :D

Yes, Neil and David Bowie were the best "rock chameleons" in music, IMHO.

I saw him about 10 years ago in the old Spectrum before it went to "arena heaven". Fantastic show. :thumbup:

Well, we're successfully hijacking this thread! ^^

Thank you - I appreciate it! I have yet to see them live. I know they're playing Bonnaroo this year, but nothing else. It would be fun to see the old Genesis-Music.com crew again. Did you go to the occasional get-togethers that the old site used to have? We may have crossed paths before, if so...

Some of them are here, some were on the old Conforums forum - not sure about the rest.

I never registered for it, but I used to look in on it on occasion to see if the people I knew from the old official forum were still around. Yes, that site passed too quickly too.

That's great! I hope you will have a good time at the DM concert. :)

I never heard of My Morning Jacket. I'm gonna take a listen. :)

Yes! I can't wait to see them again. Their last tour was phenomenal - I've been fortunate enough to see them on every tour from "Songs of Faith and Devotion" onward (excepting "Tour of the Universe" because I didn't really like the "Songs of the Universe" album, and Dave Gahan was really having health problems back then...).

See if you can find their live CD/DVD called Okonokos, or search that on YouTube. It's several years back but is a great place to start and see if you like them. If you do, then work your way through their studio albums.

If I had to describe them I'd say they're a cross between the Allman Brothers and Neil Young with a bit of Pink Floyd mixed in. :thumbup:They're a GREAT Rock and Roll band and absolutely fantastic live. Unfortunately they're taking this year off from touring but we do expect a new album plus another official Live album sometime this year.

I completely concur with this. They are a bit progressive mixed with the 'classic rock' sound of the Allmans and Neil.

In fact, it was a couple of posters from the old Genesis-Music.com site that turned me on to them - so, Laura and Henry (I should say "HENRY"), thank you, wherever you are... ^^

Grateful Dead

Springsteen

Genesis

My Morning Jacket

Tom Petty

Depeche Mode

Placebo

Aeon Sable

Oblivion Dust

Blur

You two collectively mentioned three of my favorite bands (which I highlighted).

My Morning Jacket should be a more followed band. They are really good.

Depeche Mode I am seeing again live in about a month.

Blur and Suede were my favorite Britpop bands from the 90s.

(...and Placebo will always be appreciated, if not only for "Pure Morning" 8) )

After having seen Genesis Live 11 times, I have to say that LIVE is the best setting to listen to their timeless and sublime music. It is a shame there are many Genesis songs from their catalog that were never played live: The Brazilian, Wot Gorilla?, Inside and Out (not the Hackett Revisited version that is pretty good but is not Genesis), Vancouver and some other lost gems.

There are live versions of all these tracks, you can find them on bootlegs. Wot Gorilla only as part of a medley though.

As Schottrocker said, all except "Vancouver" they did play live. "The Brazilian" was a regular part of the Invisible Touch tour setlist - it's on the official DVD of the show in Wembley (and was played at all three shows I saw on that tour). The other two were played - "Wot Gorilla" as part of a medley, as already said, and "Inside and Out" was regularly played on the W&W tour - I always thought it was a shame that it wasn't included on "Seconds Out" (and on W&W). I think the inclusion of the 1976 live version of "The Cinema Show" probably bumped it to the sideline, but perhaps they would have included "All In A Mouse's Night" instead. Hard to say...

Yes - I agree. I miss the old genesis-music.com forum too. It was a wonderful meeting/chatting place and a great repository of good Genesis information.

It should give us all something to work towards! :) I am already enjoying my time here, and I was very grateful that Krissy gave us a nice forum at Conforums before it went belly-up.

Many familiar faces here already - no doubt there will be many more. :thumbup: Thank you, Christian, for opening up your doors here!

My top four would be the same - although the order would change based on my mood that particular week...

The rest have tracks I like, but they aren't as pervasively excellent as the other 4. Yes, a great band! (R.I.P., Walter Becker.)

I didn't want to quote everyone above talking about all of the Star Wars above, but I did want to offer my opinion too. :)

The original three (Episodes 4, 5, and 6) are of course classics - it's tough for me to pick a favorite because they are three parts of one continuous narrative to me. I will say that, IMHO, people gush far too much over "The Empire Strikes Back" and are far too critical of "Return of the Jedi". Just my opinion, of course - I really like all three films.

The prequels - well, they're not as good as first three released, but they are not unwelcome either. "The Phantom Menace", as many said above, is easily the worst. (Every time I see/hear/endure Jar-Jar Binks, mee-sa wanna puke! <X ) "Attack Of The Clones" I like - I thought this film got too much abuse too. "Revenge Of The Sith" is the best of the three, but it had to be or there would have been hell to pay. "Rogue One", despite being released more recently, is really another prequel - and it is MUCH better than any of the original prequels - in fact, I'd rate it among the best of all the films so far.

I was very happy with "The Force Awakens", despite the broad brushstrokes of the plot being very familiar. It was a good modern continuation of the story. "The Last Jedi" I liked, but I didn't love - I preferred "The Force Awakens". I'm hoping the final(?) installment coming in Dec. 2019 will make me appreciate "The Last Jedi" more.

I'm looking forward to the "Solo" spin-off - if it's anywhere as good as "Rogue One", I'd be very happy.

I have been talking about the therapy value of those two songs for years, and that's why I prefer them to most of the later ballads. Same for Thru These Walls. Like China is just funny. I love Phil when he sings in an English accent.

YES! His singing in a Cockney accent is another unusual detail of the song I like. "Like China" is nothing but a straight-ahead pop song at its core, but everything about its execution is out-of-the-ordinary. Very cool juxtaposition!

Did it cross anyone else's mind to say "the 5 boxsets" upon seeing this question, or am I the only cheeky poster here? ;)

More seriously though, back in the day when people (including me) made mixtapes, I did this kind of thing all the time - although never with Genesis. I was always just happy with the albums as they were. I did think about making what I liked the best from the Archive sets, but never got around to it.

I like reading the versions here, though.

Thanks, good answer! :)

Yes, I did mean recorded live. I'm just curious for opinions on ones that people find have that "something" live that, although they may be great in the studio, have that bit of magic in some way. I'll throw in Los Endos too. In That Quiet Earth is a good call.

I was tempted to add in the reverse, but couldn't think of anything off the top of my head, but I have to say I tend to agree with your choices.

The one that jumps out to me on first thought is In The Cage. It always blew me away how powerful it was when performed live. Even the 2007 version was great IMO.

My goodness - I can't believe I forgot to mention those two. Obviously, yes to both, Los Endos and In The Cage.