Posts by raeltheduke

I've seen Peter a few times solo and with Genesis. Also with the Amnesty International all-star band (with Springsteen and Tracy Chapman) and once as a duo-bill with STING.

After the UP tour I also went to see Peter with the full Orchestra (New Blood Tour) which as a very unique experience indeed, loved "San Jacinto".

My first solo Gabriel concert was during the "melting face" tour on July 1980 at the Wollman Skating rink in Central Park New York.

The band wore all black jump suits and Peter emerged from the back of the audience singing his way to the front of the stage. The whole set list was only his material (no Genesis songs) from his first 3 albums. Incredible but David Rhodes and Tony Levin were already in his band. The drummer was Jerry Marotta and on keys it was Larry Fast. Excellent show, no special props but Peter always kept things interesting.

Great, I'd love to see your photos. The Duke 'T' sounds great, I had a good shirt at one time I got during the '78 tour but unfortunately it literally dissolved from too much wearing and washing. I wish I'd had the foresight to save it, storing it carefully instead of using it all the time. The back of it had the 'Seconds Out' cover with "Genesis: Touring America" on the back and on the front was a picture of the earth with the Trick of the Tail characters circling it.

During that time, there was a lot of T-shirt piracy going on in NYC. Besides that Duke-seconds out shirt that was official BTW, I also got one that was a baseball jersey with the band members framed by the Duke window (front) and Dates on the back. I also wore it out to death, it was too cool to keep it stored in my closet!

ELTON JOHN - Montreal, Canada - Bell center- April 4, 2020

THE FLOWER KINGS - Montreal, Canada - Plaza Theater - April 5, 2020

THE MUSICAL BOX - Laval, QC - Salle Andre Mathieu - April 23, 2020

PENDRAGON - Quebec City, Canada - Theatre de la Cite Universitaire - May 9, 2020

:):S:!:

I just remembered: I know where that ticket is.

I left a photo album in a storage bin in the city where I moved out of but soon I am planning to finish bringing the rest of my relocation stuff to Canada.

On that album, I have unique set of close up pictures I took at the Genesis Duke concert I saw at the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ, USA on June 28, 1980.

My favorite Duke tour T-shirt was the one where little Albert was inserted playing the sax on the seconds out lit stage, really cool.

And on the very last page of that album, I have a couple of pictures I took of my first Genesis show from November 1973 and the "Genisis" ticket is right there.

A true Gem;) To be continued...

I am a huge fan of both. However, they are very different from each other and I agree, you would be comparing apples with oranges.

Having seen them both performed live and the significance of each suite, they are worlds apart. You could say even recorded by a different band.

Supper's ready is not only an epic of biblical proportions but it's a song that that is split in several parts. Some are very naive and gentle and at the end in Apocalypse 9/8 it becomes very aggressive and bombastic, ending with a beautiful New Jerusalem chant for the ages. Very majestic.

The Duke suite is brilliant but I would say a different kind of epic, it narrates the story of Albert and his obsession with TV. I took this from an article that compares these two compositions: Tony Banks proposed writing a 30-minute epic that would be an update of sorts of their previous epic, the 23-minute “Supper’s Ready.” Much different than progressive rock albums at the time, however, was the idea that the epic should revolve around a guy named Albert’s life failures."

Found here:

https://www.treblezine.com/22362-genesis-duke-hall-of-fame/

My favorite is Supper's Ready by all standards giving Duke a nod and pat on the back as the great last epic by Genesis.

You would've seen their first varilite tour on your 1981 Abacab show.

Great set of gigs there, including Gabriel and The Lamb. I'm wondering if anyone else on the board saw the band with PG still in.

You may be correct. But they were much more developed in 1983. I think these must be the early stages of LED lighting. I think the guy who created them is Mark Brickman.

I was fortunate to see Gabriel with Genesis four times (unequaled).

That certainly makes a a collectible, the misspelling. After the '77 gig, I remember seeing them the following year without Steve, very strange seeing Stuermer in his place.

While searching for that "collectible" ticket, I found something just as valuable: these are flyer ads that were found at record stores advertising that Genesis concert. They are true vintage originals and for me, priceless. Genesis flyer ads MTL concert Nov 10 1973.pdf

Montreal, Canada - Le Centre Sportif - Universite de Montreal - NOV 1973

I was young and very curious to see them; had never heard a single song by the band but was so impressed but the pictures I saw on a local french rock newspaper of the multiple Peter Gabriel masks, especially the Watcher of the Skies wings and cape told me "I have to see them Live!"

When the show ended, I thought "man, all those people who did not come have missed the most incredible and amazing show of the year!"

The Musical Box does a great rendition of this show and it is very close but since I saw the REAL show, it will always be a reenactment. Same applies to the Lamb show that I saw a year later in 1974 at the Forum.

Sadly, there was no merchandise at the time but I think I have the original ticket that had the band's name misspelled: Genisis.

I am in my sixties and have seen Genesis 11 times since 1973:

1973 - Montreal Centre Sportif - I was only curious and did not know their music

1974 - Montreal Centre Sportif* - By now I knew what to expect (2 full shows!)

1974 - Montreal Forum - The Lamb show: legendary to say the least, incredible

1980 - Capitol Theater, NJ - Long gap between my last show, this was a preview

1980 - Madison Sq Garden, NYC - Same Duke tour show but not as intimate

1981 - Montreal Forum - Abacab tour -had seen Phil with Robert Plant same year

1981 - Montreal Forum - Second Abacab show, same set list, great show

1983 - Montreal Forum - Mama tour show, first time using Vari-Lite technology

1992 - Houston Astrodome* - We can't dance tour, first time stadium production

2007 - Denver Pepsi Center - Turn it on Again, I had to go and loved it!

*Have full CD bootleg recording

*Shows are on YouTube, fan film

I've seen ex-members live: Hackett, Gabriel, Collins, Mike & the Mechanics

and The Musical Box 5 times.

I can't complain, like they say: I may be old but I saw the best rock shows ever!

Big question is: Who will play drums in the future?

Marco Minnemann seems to be in charge for the Cruise shows, but it's unlikely he will be a permanent solution.

What do you think?

I saw Marco early this month playing for his band In Continuum at the Progstock Festival in Rahway, NJ, USA. As always he was amazing, Eddie Jobson plays UK closed the festival but Marco did not play with him as he has done in the past.

Marco's band In Continuum are also booked on the Cruise so it seems he will do double duty this time but we know for sure he does not sing. I think a permanent solution may come later maybe with drummer Nick D'Virgilio or Simon Phillips who are guest players on Steve's latest CD At The Edge of Light..I guess Gary's swan song shows were the ones on the orchestral tour.

I have been a Camel fan since 1977 (same year Seconds Out was released, I consider the best live album of all time).

Never seen them live, I already had bought my ticket and when I arrived in Mexico city back in 2002, I got the bad news that show got cancelled and I missed the only opportunity I will ever have to see them live.

My favorite Camel albums are: Nude, Rain Dances, Breathless, Dust & Dreams, Stationary Traveler and all the live albums specially Coming of Age. Besides his guitar playing and vocals, I love Andy Latimer's flute style, great.

I am still amazed at the wonder that is Pete Jones, what a find! I wish Rachel Flowers who is also a blind prodigy, would be part of a band or ensemble of some kind. But for now, Pete will keep that Camel flame alive for some time and hope I catch them live someday.

After having seen Genesis Live 11 times, I have to say that LIVE is the best setting to listen to their timeless and sublime music. It is a shame there are many Genesis songs from their catalog that were never played live: The Brazilian, Wot Gorilla?, Inside Out (not the Hackett Revisited version that is pretty good but is not Genesis), Vancouver and some other lost gems.